Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 13:05   #1

Car upgrade

Hi Guys

I am a new BHP-ian and currently have a 2006 Santro Xing XO with only 4k+ on the odo.I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger preowned car. I am confused between a Petrol or Diesel (NHC and Scorpio). I have an offer of a 2004 NHC,with 40k on the odo for 5.2 lacs from First Choice. Please provide your inputs ,also what price can i expect for my Santro and would it be wise to sell it so early(depreciation wise).Appreciate your feedback!
Old 7th March 2008, 13:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you spend sime time on board reading various threads? You'll get a much better perspective.
Old 7th March 2008, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude77
I am a new BHP-ian and currently have a 2006 Santro Xing XO with only 4k+ on the odo.I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger preowned car. I am confused between a Petrol or Diesel (NHC and Scorpio).
With just 4000kms in 2 years, you seem to be an occasional car user. And if the usage pattern is to be like this going forward also, diesel is anyway ruled out.

An upgrade is a good thing, but if I were you, I would stick to the new (atleast mileage-wise) Santro, instead of getting a used car. And maybe go for an upgrade later for a new sedan. And this is not just because of the depreciation-hit that you would be taking on selling the Santro.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th March 2008 at 14:00.
Old 7th March 2008, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
With just 4000kms in 2 years, you seem to be an occasional car user. And if the usage pattern is to be like this going forward also, diesel is anyway ruled out.

An upgrade is a good thing, but if I were you, I would stick to the new (atleast mileage-wise) Santro, instead of getting a used car. And maybe go for an upgrade later for a new sedan. And this is not just because of the depreciation-hit that you would be taking on selling the Santro.
Thanks to budget Santro is 12k cheaper. You may hence take a light hit in resale coz of this.

Do check other threads about TBHPians who have a budget of 6-7lac. As supremeBaleno said go for a petrol.
Old 7th March 2008, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

40000km is a mileage when lot of things could need a replacement - tyres, suspension, clutch etc unless it has been very well maintained. Do take care to assess these factors when going for a used car.
As suggested, I too don't recommend a diesel for you. Some reliable cars you can look at in the used market are NHC, Baleno, Fiesta 1.6 etc.
Old 7th March 2008, 17:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re-think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude77 View Post
Hi Guys

I am a new BHP-ian and currently have a 2006 Santro Xing XO with only 4k+ on the odo. I am thinking of upgrading..........
You do not drive much. Why, exactly, do you need to upgrade? Are you in some business where image and prestige are important?
Old 7th March 2008, 17:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You do not drive much. Why, exactly, do you need to upgrade? Are you in some business where image and prestige are important?
Exactly my thoughts. I doubt if you need an upgrade when you do mileage in 2 years that some of the tbhpian's do in a few days

Also, in resale market nobody will believe you drove only 4K in 2 years and resale value will be as per market standards. Better to stick to the same car for a year or two more and try putting some mileage on it to justify the resale when you actually sell it.
Old 7th March 2008, 17:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Current usage pattern doesn't justify diesel vehicle.
If M-power/image is driving you to upgrade, then you can find many models in resale market. Check the vehicles with help of trusted source, if not by self. Past usage of vehicle will decide whether it's worth buying or it.
Old 8th March 2008, 12:37   #9

Car upgrade

Guys

Thank you very much for your time and replies. I am an IT professional ,i think i will hold on to the Santro for at least another year,spruce it up a little (tubeless and alloys) and add a few thousand kms to the odo. Any suggestions on the tyres to go for?
Old 8th March 2008, 15:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think i will hold on to the Santro for at least another year,spruce it up a little (tubeless and alloys) and add a few thousand kms to the odo.
Now, that sounds sensible.

Quote:
Any suggestions on the tyres to go for?
We have many tyre experts on the forum. A search for Santro+tyres should lead you to some good suggestions. You could also PM kpzen, iraghava etc for suggestions.
Old 8th March 2008, 16:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

If i were you i would have stuck with the santro for some more time.The resale of the santro would take a hit if you sell it now.Add more mileage on the santro and then sell it off.
ram

Most Viewed