Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 17:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

In the used car market all GM vehicles perform badly.Dont know the reason but its the fact.Whenever going for a new vehicle if its not intended to be kept more than 4 yrs please keep the resale also in mind.A.S.S and spares price would be equally important too.
ram
Old 12th March 2008, 21:52   #47
aks316

ya your right that gm cars dont have good resale but even verna petrol wont have a good resale it may have a better resale than aveo but the difference wont be big and he will be keeping the car for more than 5 yrs so it doesnt matter.. and about the aftresales service i have a opel corsa which is 5 years old and i never had any issues with the aftersales service.. still it cant beat hyundai and maruti but gm service is good now and he wont have any problems..

Old 13th March 2008, 13:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10 View Post
Question: I have read that verna has a refined engine and a much better gear shift. Does it really make sense to go for this then the safety features (ABS, Airbag) on Aveo?

I have not considered the SX4 (I want a change), Honda City (Expensive for its price), Ford Fiesta (bad reputation of dealers and ***)

Please help !!!
For your driving requirements of 12000-14000 kms in-city per year and 3000-4000kms per year on highways, with family, i would suggest Aveo over Verna, mainly due to the bigger boot (400 vs 350 ltrs) and more space inside. With a family, the boot does matter.

However, since you are keen on Honda City as well, let me give you my perspective, since I was looking to buy in this segment, had almost settled for a Fiesta, and ended up buying a City. I had got a lot of discounts on Aveo as well, but I was primarily looking at drivability (I drive myself) and Fiesta was on top, followed by City. I rejected Aveo due to this, and I did not like Verna because I felt all over the place on bad roads. Fiesta was the best, and City was Ok. But friends and family have a say in these matters, and some of my friends who own Ford products (Ikon D, Flair) asked me to stay away due to A.S.S. and depreciation. What really decided things in favour of the Honda were
1. Honda
2. Smooth engine
3. Huge boot (500 ltrs), and I have used it extensively on long trips
4. Mileage. I have got 15 till now overall in the 6000kms I have covered. This is a mix of city and highway driving. I get more than 19 on Highways.
5. Service is Ok, and they are opening up new dealers. I have seen progress in listening to customers, in my successive dealings with them, but you have to be slightly pushy. Maruti is the best here.
6. Resale is great. My friends GXi sold for a good value after a couple of years.
7. Seat contours on the back seat. 5 people can sit v comfortably.

cons of Honda are:
1. People will overtake you on highways. Do not try to compete with them.
2. Ride is a bit bumpy. Rear seat is the most comfortable.
3. Lots of light comes in, and in summers the cabin heats up a lot. This can be corrected with film.

Don't be swayed by emotions. Take plenty of test drives with your family also, and then choose.
Old 13th March 2008, 14:02   #49
BHPian

Well, when I decided to go for a new car last year, I too went through the same turmoil. But I finally settled for Verna XXI and quite happy with that so far.
My primary criteria was good features, reliability, h/w performance and A.S.S. NHC came close, but I hate its looks and felt underpowered on highways (non VTEC). Mileage was not a primary criteria since I have Santro which I use like a bike.
Old 13th March 2008, 15:24   #50
BHPian

Anyday, I would vote for Verna over any GM car. The service, resale value and features VFM, all are better in Hyundai in India compared to GM unless you are yourself a dealer of GM.
Old 13th March 2008, 18:33   #51
BHPian

I dont understand this... GM has 3yrs/1,00,000 Kms. warranty... this is provided by very few brands.... I guess only toyota.

I think when they are providing such a great warranty then there is no doubt on the quality of their vehicles.

infact Aveo, Optra & Spark have topped the JD Power quality study!

Still the resale value is less?
Old 13th March 2008, 18:54   #52
BANNED

You mean people do 160s and overtake NHC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post
cons of Honda are:
1. People will overtake you on highways. Do not try to compete with them.
So comfort is a disadvantage?
Quote:
2. Ride is a bit bumpy. Rear seat is the most comfortable.
I guess you are taking about the sleek windshield. AC will take care of this.
Quote:
3. Lots of light comes in, and in summers the cabin heats up a lot. This can be corrected with film.
Old 13th March 2008, 21:56   #53
BHPian

Status Update

Hi Everybody - many thanks to all of you for your opinions and suggestions. This is indeed helpful.

Let me share a status update on the decision making process.

On the last Sunday, I nearly booked the Verna Xi when Samara Hyundai in Delhi claimed that ABS will surely be available with Xi. Though I had my doubts on the claim since neither Hyundai Website, nor any auto mag, even no Team-Bhp members had ever mentioned this. And finally dealer also went back on his claim - hence booking cancelled.

Also over last few days I realised that Verna also had pretty bad interiors and as Simran rightly said – Family opinion is imp. – my family actually hated it. And Now Verna is almost out of consideration.

And now 2 left contenders are Honda City GXi & Aveo 1.6 LT (with Airbag and ABS). I feel strong points (important criteria from my point of view) of each of these are

Honda: Best Engine & driving convenience, Snob Value, Best rear seat comfort.

Aveo: Strong VFM, Best interiors, ABS, Airbags & fully loaded.

The negatives (again important for me)

City: Probably poor brakes and poor highway manners – I felt that during TD. Request the Honda city drivers to throw some light on this.
Another negative could be that shortly this car will be out of production – this is not very important for me.

Aveo: Basically average driving comfort. Aveo owners – please enlighten me. Another unimportant negative are not so good reputation because of earlier gear box issue. My TD has no impressions of the same. And this car is surely going to be low on maintenance. The service promise confirms that along with the top position in the JD Power survey.

I am looking forward to suggestions from the City and Aveo owners.

Thanks a ton !!
Old 14th March 2008, 02:39   #54
aks316

hi..
i am a honda city owner and as i said earlier also it is the best city car in the c
segment but it is the worse car on the highways.. the body is too light and the
steering doesnt give you much confidence and engine just have 77bhp.. it has average brakes and no safety feartures but the boot is the biggest..the rear seat is the most comfortable and engine & gearbox makes it the most untiring car of all and yes the all important mileage is the best.. then it has the honda badge which no matter what we say we are crazyy about it in someway.. and last it comes with bullet proof reliablity and resale and Aftersales service and parts are never
a problem with the honda so in the end it will give you more peace of mind and if you can sacrifice on the safety features and not so good highway manners and performance this is the car for you.. and about the aveo it has better drivivng
experience than the honda city as it gives a more solid feel than honda city.. on the highway the 100 horses would certainly help and like optra and all gm cars it is rock solid on the highway and high speed stability is very good.. and it has the best interiors and with airbags and abs it is certianly more value for money than a honda city.. gearbox is not a issue now its improved but still not better than the honda citys but its quite good now but the brakes are much better than a honda city.. and as per overdrive magazine december 2006 aveo has better ride and handling than a verna, fiesta and honda city.. aveo doesnt give you toy car feel like a honda city.. and ya it is more solid than a honda city.. on the negative front as i said earlier also the resale and mileage wont be as good as a honda city.. and about the aftersales i havnt experienced anything bad as i have a opel corsa also.. so if you can sacrifice on the resale and little bit of mileage you will get a fully loaded car which will do everything good.. the comfort, space of aveo is on par with the honda city, it has better looks and the engine is more powerful.. so according to me aveo is a better all round package.. and gm network is growing now and it is much improved now as well so i dont think you will have any problems.. i hope this helps.. tc.

Old 14th March 2008, 08:22   #55
BHPian

Aveo has been consistently ranked as one of the least reliable car by Consumer Reports in US. And Honda cars in general are some of the most reliable. But this need not be the same in India.
Old 14th March 2008, 10:46   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
You mean people do 160s and overtake NHC?So comfort is a disadvantage?I guess you are taking about the sleek windshield. AC will take care of this.
well, let me re-phrase - personally I like to be a little laid back on the highway. Safety first for me. I like to listen to soothing music and not get aggressive. I accelerate slowly and maintain 100-120. This helps me arrive in better shape and rested, though some 30 mins late. It also helps me judge and act with plenty of time.

I used to drive aggressively earlier with my Zen. I think age has something to do with this ;-)

I have had people accelerate at high speeds and overtake me on highways. I have a feeling H-City would feel out of breath while driving aggressively on highways and competing with such guys. I have taken a friend's Corolla, and I could just sniff such guys off while being laid-back. The cars that manage to overtake me after we have decelerated and are picking up speed are most petrol cars and Innovas, but Indicas and Safaris for some reason are slower. When I'm cruising, Fiestas, Swifts, Corollas and Optras overtake me, and sometimes shake me up as well! I move left as soon as I see any one of these guys and let them move ahead. I have not have any experience with Aveo. I also let Qualis, Innovas and Scorpios by if I have space.

One reason why my wife was not comfortable with Aveo was softer seats that did not offer support, but living with Honda is the same after some time. It too has soft seats and I have developed back-pain due to a heavy clutch. I would suggest you buy the car with lighter clutch.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:01   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

An10, I own an Aveo 1.4 Base for the last 7 months and am very happy with it. My comments are as follows (in no particular order):

1. Excellent & 'big car' stable ride in city. Rides smoothly over broken road and has absolutely no issues with tall speedbreakers. Dou
2. Interiors are stunning and spacious at this price point. I bought mine for 6.6L OTR. While I am not a huge fan of the beige craze, I feel that the Aveo's beige interiors are generally a notch higher than it's competitors. Overall, the interiors have a luxurious feel. However, the beige band on the dash reflects off the windshield in bright sunlight; I have got used to it though!
3. Exteriors are superb. While the Aveo generally elicits a 'love it or hate it' from people, I have always loved the looks. Look at my gallery for proof. BTW, what colour did you want your new car to be?
4. A.S.S. - Overall ok experience so far. I have not faced any issues in my 4000km and 7 months of ownership. My 5000km (2nd free) service is due next week.
5. Quality - Impeccable so far. There are no squeaks/rattles/things falling off yet. I completed a 600km round trip last weekend with a 50km stretch of horrendous roads. I was worried sick about squeaks etc developing but nothing happend!
6. Resale - I am simply not interested as I plan to keep this car for 5 years +. Anyway, I feel that 5 years later, there will be so many car models etc in India, second-hand car values will take a huge beating.
7. Driving experience is fine for me. It's not a superb handler like the Fiesta but it's not bad either. For me road manners till about 100km/hr is good enough as I rarely drive faster. The gearbox is also subjective - I have got used to it!
8. Mileage is about 11km/lt is Bangalore's stop-start traffic. Mind you, I have upsized my tyres to 195/60s from the stock 185/60s so will have lost about 1km/lt there. FE is acceptable to me.
9. Brakes were average with the stock Goodyears. After my move to broader Yoko ES100, they now have excellent bite!

My advice is go for the Aveo 1.6 LT with option pack. You will get a fully loaded relatively exclusive car as opposed to the zillions of Citys being driven by more chauffeurs than owners.

Choose the right colour, upsize the tyres (about 7k after exchange) and consider fixing the OEM GM bodykit for 19k. See my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post620281

IMVHO, you will not be unhappy with the result!

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th March 2008 at 12:05. Reason: *** = A.S.S.!
Old 14th March 2008, 12:13   #58
BHPian

OT food for thought -

With petrol @46 in Ggn,

kmpl 11 12 13 14 15
kms
15000 62727 57500 53076 49285 46000
20000 83636 76666 70769 65714 61333

With diesel @32, and assuming mileage would typically be higher,

Kmpl 13 14 15 16 17
15000 36923 34285 32000 30000 28235
20000 49230 45714 42666 40000 37647

Last edited by simran : 14th March 2008 at 12:16. Reason: formatting
Old 16th March 2008, 10:45   #59
BHPian

Update

[COLOR=black]Hi Guys,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Update as of now is almost final decision on Chevy Aveo 1.6 OP. Though it is still - almost. My concern is still of so less number of 1.6 on road. Is there any way I can get the sales figures of all these cars?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]As shared earlier - response from the Chevy dealers has been really good. Though none of them has a 1.6 variant for a test drive. They have confirmed to get me one for test drive soon (don't want to book the car basis the driving experience of 1.4).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Honda City is loosing out basically on highway manners and average brakes. After all you don't want to buy a car (expensive car) and from the day one live with a limitation. Though this is still my wife's fav.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Let’s see....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Thanks to all.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
Old 16th March 2008, 11:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

@an10 - Aveo 1.6 will be a great buy and you will no regret it.. and yes, females are very fond of NHC.. not bad one, just that there are better options available

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks