Team-BHP - Aveo vs Verna EDIT: Bought Aveo
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Aveo vs Verna EDIT: Bought Aveo (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/36591-aveo-vs-verna-edit-bought-aveo.html)

Currently I own a 2002 Maruti Zen LX and want to upgrade to a bigger and better car.
1) I drive almost 1100-1200 KMs every month and add 3-4 outstation visits each of 700-800 KMS in a year. And yes I love driving and hence no chauffeur for me.

2) Budget – preferably 7.0 lacs – may go upto 7.5 lacs (will be extremely stretched)

3) Following are the priorities in the preference order
a. Low maintenance cost and ownership costs (including fuel cost)
b. Hassle free ownership experience – read friendly and trouble free after sales (possibly the car will be with me for 5-6 years)
c. Space (family of 4 adults and a kid)
d. Driving pleasure & driving convenience

I have short listed the
a) Aveo 1.6 Top end with ABS & Airbag: Should cost me 7.6 on road after the discounts. I have my doubts for Aveo because of
The gear box issue
The engine performance at low RMP
After sales service
Knee hitting the console
Question: Is Aveo’s engine and gear box too much of a problem? In my drive I could not figure that out since I drive a small car and anything would look better. And what about GM’s *** in Delhi?

b) Verna Xi: At 7 Lacs, it comes without Airbag, ABS and not even alloys. I am thinking to forget airbag and ABS and go for this. Xxi does not have anything special as extra besides the Alloys etc at around 90K more. I am not considering that.
Question: I have read that verna has a refined engine and a much better gear shift. Does it really make sense to go for this then the safety features (ABS, Airbag) on Aveo?

I have not considered the SX4 (I want a change), Honda City (Expensive for its price), Ford Fiesta (bad reputation of dealers and ***)

Please help !!!

Hi. Would suggest you go with the Verna Xi. I have the same and its a good car.. definitely better than Aveo.

Cheers,

VIctor

Yes, engine and performance wise, the Verna Petrol definitely score over Aveo 1.6. But without ABS/Airbags, it's not a good choice. If you are keen on Verna, why not increase your budget a little bit and get ABS at least.

Aveo 1.6 has a very decent interior and NVH is also great. About the notchy gearbox, it's been better since last minor update.

BTW, why not a SX4 zxi? Except for a bit lower interior plastic quality, it scores quite decent over other petrol competitors.

I think you should go for the Honda city EXI. It should come around 7.5-7.7 OTR. Aveo is good . but because of the engine and a.s.s. it didnt do well. Gearbox is not that bad. No comments on Verna Petrol as i havent driven one. But since you do not travel much on highways Honda Exi ( base version ) will be perfect for you! it has very good gearshift and the Honda Badge with a piece of mind. Give NHC a thought !

As you need bigger & better car, does it necessarily have to be a car with boot?

Are you open for bigger hatches like Getz, Aveo UVA, Fabia. You can opt for diesel variant to keep fuel cost low.

Common guys he have done his homework and squared in on verna and aveo.Let this be a discussion on that.
I feel verna is better than the aveo.But advice you to steach a bit and go for the xxi.I believe its value for money with the airbag,abs and alloys all round disc brakes etc .
ram

yes in this particular case verna is a clear winner,even in terms of use and maintainance

Fiesta SXi? New ads suggest it may just fall in your budget. Has ALL the goodies, esp abs/airbags

Quote:

Originally Posted by an10 (Post 749949)
b. Hassle free ownership experience – read friendly and trouble free after sales (possibly the car will be with me for 5-6 years)

In my opinion, anyday Hyundai should be better A.S.S. than the GM. So, from this point too its Verna.

Hi an10, check out these threads, might help you in making a decision:

sx4-vs-verna-vs-city-vs-aveo

aveo-1-6-verna-xxi-city-vtec-cedia-spirit-sx4

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 750458)
Common guys he have done his homework and squared in on verna and aveo.Let this be a discussion on that.
I feel verna is better than the aveo.But advice you to steach a bit and go for the xxi.I believe its value for money with the airbag,abs and alloys all round disc brakes etc .
ram

Even the XXi does not have airbags...sadly.

verna is much better coice..the engine is much better than the aveo.

how soon do u want to buy the car ?

there seem to be many upcoming launches which have been discussed in various thereads

notably, FIAT LINEA, NEW INDIGO, and FORD IKON with Diesel engine..
i feel ur running easily justifies a diesel..
but if u have done all that thinking and just want to decide between AVEO and VERNA, go for the latter

Verna is clearly the better choice, considering your post you drive a lot in city and occasional drive on highways. Verna troubles on handling only at very high speeds (past 110 kph) - In that case its highly advisable to stretch yourself a little bit more and go in for ABS version.

If you are troubled with budget, then better choice would be SX4.

All the best for your buy and do update us on your decision. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by victor0012 (Post 750127)
Hi. Would suggest you go with the Verna Xi. I have the same and its a good car.. definitely better than Aveo.

Cheers,

VIctor

For how long you have the Verna? Please share your feedback on the overall performace, comfort, convinience & anything else you want to add.