Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 00:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda 1.8T ambient or RS

Hi there, I am interested in geting either of the two cars 1.8T or RS. Called few dealers here came to know the RS has been discontinued since a month also the Rider 1.8T and instead they have come up with 1.8T Ambient which now comes with an ABS and airbags also is considerably priced then the rider for about 11L on road.

Now here's the catch am confused about called up one of the dealers here and is has a black RS in stock but a 2007 manufactured model. Had a long discussion with him and told him I would be interested but not so keen on a 2007 model. Now heres the catch after further discussion he was ready to give some offer on it which saves me about a lakh along with finance plus ready to give 3 years maintence free service where wont be charged a penny for service, labour, or consumables.
All this looks quite tempting. Guys I am really confused whether I should go for the RS inspite its being discontinued or the Ambient model which now has the ABS too. Earlier thought of RS coz of the extra features and most importantly ABS.
Now i do plan to upgrade the wheels to light weight alloys, boost it, change the seats to OG recaro buckets, upgrade brakes and suspension.

What I like about the RS is also the projector headlamps with xenons, climate control ac, sunroof.

Like to know if it makes sense to go for the RS with the offer or simply go ambient model. Head says ambient but heart says RS.

PS: mods have searched a lot couldnt find answer to this.

PLEASE HELP! Thank you.
Old 11th March 2008, 00:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

My opinion, go for the Ambient. The reasoning is simple:

Car - 11L
240bhp remap/engine parts - 2.4-2.5L
16" Wheels & tyres - 50k
Seats - No idea but would guess around 40-50k for original Recaro's & 25k for replica's.
Suspension & Brakes - Another 1-1.5L if not more.

Total: 16L-odd

Whereas, if you buy an RS, it's about 15L up front plus new brakes & suspension which will takes you to around 16.5L while you will only have 150bhp!

The choice is ultimately yours but I would go for the Ambient provided that too comes with a 3 years no maintenance expense package.

P.S. Rates are approximate ideas only.
Old 11th March 2008, 01:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am getting the RS which falls upto 13.5 L on road price without octroi after the discounts and along with that get the 3 yrs maintenance free package. Overall paying kinda paying just 2.5L for all the added package.
Also, was wondering if its a fair deal or should and try and push for further benefits.
240-250 bhp is on the cards, along with 18" OZ or bbs alloys, brembo brakes, recaro sports line seats which might also help in increase of rear leg room a bit.
Was just in two minds if it makes sense to go in for the RS which is a 2007 model and on top of it discontinued, for those added features at additional 2.5L.
Comfert is not an issue being 6 footer dint find any problem also plan to replace the seats which would add to comfert.

Thanks- Abhishek.
Old 11th March 2008, 02:22   #4
BHPian

Hi Invinsible even check weather the RS has not been used as a test drive car
Old 11th March 2008, 03:44   #5
BHPian

I didnt know RS was discontinued - But the offer on the previous model year one is pretty good - But, the deal makes more sense in a diesel vehicle than the petrol one. Petrol vehicles hardly cause any trouble during the first three years.

Whatever the car you take, I am sure you'll be having a lot of fun!

I prefer saving the money and spending it on petrol :-)

I am still drooling in my dreams for a Laura RS (Racing blue!)
Old 11th March 2008, 03:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

IMO the Ambiente makes a better deal. Since you are going for aftermarket mods, getting a RS replica bumper, spoiler, grill etc shouldnt be an issue. Rest everything like alloys, tyres, seats, brakes, suspension you intend to change, so it does not make sense to go for the RS.

Last edited by dipen : 11th March 2008 at 03:49.
Old 11th March 2008, 07:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

do you want to buy it for driving experience alone, or to flash the vRS badge? people in the know admire/envy vRS, atleast i do ;-)

having decided to buy the less popular TPI, you can as well indulge yourself and go for vRS. but make sure the car, tires and the deal are good. is it 3 yr warranty or just free labour for service?
Old 11th March 2008, 08:15   #8
BHPian

Just a caution.

Generally the 3 year warranty will be void if you do any mods...especially performance mods on the car.

Check with your dealer, and get what ever he promises in writing.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Got the same feedback from the Kolkata dealer. RS is being discontinued. Very little stock.

Btw, the only differences according to them, between the TPi Ambiente and the erstwhile TPi Rider is a rear seat armrest and a price tag which is 1L lower. The TPi Rider used to come with rear discs, abs, dual airbags.

IIRC, it was the TDi Rider that did not have rear discs, abs and no passenger airbag.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
Just a caution.

Generally the 3 year warranty will be void if you do any mods...especially performance mods on the car.

Check with your dealer, and get what ever he promises in writing.

valid point- if the 3 year maintenance cover is what attracts u to the RS, just forget it given the list of mods u intend to do..

also - given the fact that u want to mod the car so extensively, why even go for a NEW car ??

i thought it makes sense to go for a "good " used 1.8 T or RS and then mod it ( u stand to save a lot of money in the process )
Old 11th March 2008, 11:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

I would look for a secondhand car. I bought my RS for a lot less than a new one
Old 11th March 2008, 11:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to go for a model which is in production rather than going after discounts for a discontinued one.vRS is a good car and has snob value too but if its discontinued please avoisd that.
ram
Old 11th March 2008, 11:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

3 years free maintenance, blah blah goes out of the window if you are even thinking about performance mods.
A TPi/Ambiente is a better option IMHO.
Get a regular Ambiente and go hell bent on the mods.
A 240 bhp upgrade with new suspension and brakes will cost around 4L.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Agree with ajmat. Try looking for a used one, but buy it only if you can verify that the car was well maintained and driven properly (read: not ripped on a daily basis).
If you can't get one, then would suggest you go with the Rider/Ambient. A fully loaded new RS doesn't make sense if you're going to mod it soon.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:11   #15
BHPian

If you are thinking of getting performance mods done on your car, then why not lok for a used one.
All the warranties etc would be void if you modify your car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks