Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 18:39   #106
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Hey BHPians,

I am posting on my bro-in-law's bahalf. He is buying Jetta in white color. The dealer is offering good discount on Dec 2012 model (almost 1.25 lakh+) while on 2013 model there is no discount or very less.

So wanted some advice on whether he should go for Dec 2012 model or pay more for 2013.

He will keep the card for 4/5 years so IMO resale value drop might be lower by a bit for 2012 model but any other issues he should take care of?

Another twist is that there is an Oct 2012 model which has even more discount so should we save money and buy that?

Please do let me know
Old 17th February 2013, 17:21   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Please do let me know
In my opinion, one thing you need not worry is the re-sale value, because it's already covered (if not more) by the discount they are offering. However, you need to be absolutely sure of the following:

1. That the 2013 models don't have any upgrades or fixes or anything of that sort.
2. The car is a new one, meaning it didn't spend any time in the showroom, taking test drives etc. Your brother needs to grill the dealer and he must be absolutely convinced about the reason they have not been able to sell the car yet.

And I don't see much difference between the Dec one and the Oct one, assuming they both are in similar conditions. If so, just go for it. The money saved could cover fuel expenses for a year or two depending on usage.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 17:38   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a previous model year car in the current year? Post all related queries he

Do a careful PDI of the 2012 cars and if everything looks good, go ahead and purchase it.

Cars that have been sitting idle, especially if exposed to the elements tend to have a bit of rubber and plastic degradation. Check for that carefully. It goes without saying that if the car has been used by the dealership as either a test chicks or an office run-around, avoid it with a barge pole. The reason for this is you have no idea how many km's the car has run, given that they disconnected the odo and so it will likely throw your servicing schedule off.

Part of the money you save in a discount will be lost in greater depreciation, but given your BIL intends to keep the car for at least four to five years, it is worth it.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 18:12   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Hey BHPians,

I am posting on my bro-in-law's bahalf.

Another twist is that there is an Oct 2012 model which has even more discount

Please do let me know
As others are suggesting, please do a careful and extensive PDI of both the cars. Try to compare between those two. Check for any wear and tear. Check the tyres and their condition. We all know how a new tyre looks. Even look for any finer scratches. Any stains on the interiors or seats do point towards the usage. Check the seat rails, if the car has been extensively used then dust would be accumulated there. It's not easy to clean that space. Look for any other visual signs.

Now depreciation is already being taken care of by the discounts. And depreciation enters at the later stage when you actually want to sell it. Remember resale value depends upon many factors, such as your relationship with the car for the period of your ownership, I mean cars condition at the time of selling.

Also do push for more discounts and freebies. All the best to you and your BIL.

Regards
liferocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 18:42   #110
BHPian

Re: Buying a previous model year car in the current year? Post all related queries he

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
In my opinion, one thing you need not worry is the re-sale value, because it's already covered (if not more) by the discount they are offering. However, you need to be absolutely sure of the following:

1. That the 2013 models don't have any upgrades or fixes or anything of that sort.
2. The car is a new one, meaning it didn't spend any time in the showroom, taking test drives etc. Your brother needs to grill the dealer and he must be absolutely convinced about the reason they have not been able to sell the car yet.

And I don't see much difference between the Dec one and the Oct one, assuming they both are in similar conditions. If so, just go for it. The money saved could cover fuel expenses for a year or two depending on usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Do a careful PDI of the 2012 cars and if everything looks good, go ahead and purchase it.

Cars that have been sitting idle, especially if exposed to the elements tend to have a bit of rubber and plastic degradation. Check for that carefully. It goes without saying that if the car has been used by the dealership as either a test chicks or an office run-around, avoid it with a barge pole. The reason for this is you have no idea how many km's the car has run, given that they disconnected the odo and so it will likely throw your servicing schedule off.

Part of the money you save in a discount will be lost in greater depreciation, but given your BIL intends to keep the car for at least four to five years, it is worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
As others are suggesting, please do a careful and extensive PDI of both the cars. Try to compare between those two. Check for any wear and tear. Check the tyres and their condition. We all know how a new tyre looks. Even look for any finer scratches. Any stains on the interiors or seats do point towards the usage. Check the seat rails, if the car has been extensively used then dust would be accumulated there. It's not easy to clean that space. Look for any other visual signs.

Now depreciation is already being taken care of by the discounts. And depreciation enters at the later stage when you actually want to sell it. Remember resale value depends upon many factors, such as your relationship with the car for the period of your ownership, I mean cars condition at the time of selling.

Also do push for more discounts and freebies. All the best to you and your BIL.

Regards
Well I did ask him to check all those things thoroughly and he finally bought it too. Its driving brilliantly. Thanks all
Old 17th February 2013, 19:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

What is the discount that i can ask for a 2012 dec zxi dzire? The new one is selling for 7.7 on road. Please advice. The dealer will get back to me with his quote tomorrow.
Old 17th February 2013, 19:10   #112
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

With these modern cars, as long as you build good relationships with your dealer who is supposed to look after you at the time of purchase as well as afterwards, I see no issue.
Indeed, I have put my money where my typing fingers are and have purchased a May 2011 Skoda Yeti in December 2011. I would have quite happily waited another month and bought it in Jan 2012, but I was impatient.
My suggestion - of course you should do a PDI or at least ensure you have a good understanding with your dealer.
Having said all of that, if I were you, I would go for the big discount anytime, any day and any way - nothing wrong with saving some solid bucks - you can go on a holiday with your savings!

Push your dealer for the max, stating that you are helping to clear off his older inventory. He will definitely comply!

Quote:
Hey BHPians,

I am posting on my bro-in-law's bahalf. He is buying Jetta in white color. The dealer is offering good discount on Dec 2012 model (almost 1.25 lakh+) while on 2013 model there is no discount or very less.

So wanted some advice on whether he should go for Dec 2012 model or pay more for 2013.

He will keep the card for 4/5 years so IMO resale value drop might be lower by a bit for 2012 model but any other issues he should take care of?

Another twist is that there is an Oct 2012 model which has even more discount so should we save money and buy that?

Please do let me know
Old 15th June 2013, 14:18   #113
BHPian

Need advice - Dec 2012 Ertiga ZDI or May 2013

Hello,
I need expert advice on buying Ertiga ZDI. Dealer had given two options,

1) White Ertiga ZDI manufactured in Dec 2012. He has it is in stock yard and he can give a hefty cash discount of 40K if I choose this over newer one.

2) Ertiga ZDI which is manufactured in May 2013. It has discount of 15K + 1K of corporate discount.

Please advice on which one to go for. Also, has anyone recently purchased Ertiga in Bangalore? If so, what is the best deal available?

TIA
Old 15th June 2013, 14:26   #114
BHPian

Re: Need advice - Dec 2012 Ertiga ZDI or May 2013

Hi,

My dad recently purchased an Ertiga zdi in chennai. Our OTR was around 10.4.

I suggest you go in for the dec manufactured car if you are planning to keep the car for a long time (>4 years).

If you like changing cars every 2-3 years i suggest you buy the may manufactured vehicle. Reason being, better resale value.

On a different angle , why would a dec manufactured Ertiga zdi still be lying around in the stock yard? Chances are high that there may be some problems in the car. The Ertiga is a pretty fast moving car and if a car has been lying in the stockyard for more than 5 months i suggest you stay away from it
Old 15th June 2013, 14:36   #115
BANNED

If the warranty starts from the date of delivery, I feel then 2012 would be fine. I'm also hearing the similar stories from Fiat, Nissan etc
Old 15th June 2013, 14:44   #116
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

For 100% peace of mind, I would suggest tyou go for the May manufactured Ertiga. I'm not saying that the Dec Ertiga would have any problems - but it seems very strange that an Ertiga has not been delivered since it was placed on order in Dec.

The May Ertiga would be a brand new one - and even if you face any issues / niggles its bearable. But if you go for the Dec model and face any issues / niggles, it would always be on your mind that you should have picked up the May model.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 15:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
I suggest you go in for the dec manufactured car if you are planning to keep the car for a long time (>4 years).

If you like changing cars every 2-3 years i suggest you buy the may manufactured vehicle. Reason being, better resale value.

On a different angle , why would a dec manufactured Ertiga zdi still be lying around in the stock yard? Chances are high that there may be some problems in the car. The Ertiga is a pretty fast moving car and if a car has been lying in the stockyard for more than 5 months i suggest you stay away from it
Sales person says it just lies in the stock yard as shipment arrived only in Feb 2013. This car will be through company lease, so i can change it after 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadeep View Post
If the warranty starts from the date of delivery, I feel then 2012 would be fine. I'm also hearing the similar stories from Fiat, Nissan etc
Warranty starts from date of Invoice/purchase. It has been confirmed by the sales guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
For 100% peace of mind, I would suggest tyou go for the May manufactured Ertiga. I'm not saying that the Dec Ertiga would have any problems - but it seems very strange that an Ertiga has not been delivered since it was placed on order in Dec.

The May Ertiga would be a brand new one - and even if you face any issues / niggles its bearable. But if you go for the Dec model and face any issues / niggles, it would always be on your mind that you should have picked up the May model.
That's correct.. I shouldn't repent later....
Old 15th June 2013, 15:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

I would say pick up the 2013 Ertiga.

The one lying in their yard is not of an odd color that i wasn't picked up earlier. And if the dealer says it arrived only in Feb 2013, has he not sold any ertiga since then? White is a common and one of the fastest selling color in most car segments. Have heard of odd colors not being sold for a couple of months. eg. when i bought my Punto the tuscon wine color wasn't very popular (let aside the fact Punto itself wasn't a popular car), The dealer had Oct 2012 car in their yard much longer than other shades of Oct 2012 batch & hence i was able to manage extra discounts.

So either the dealer is not telling you the 100% truth behind the car or may be they weren't offering enough discounts on it earlier only to realize now that its about time and they need to get rid of the 2012 made car.

Ask the dealer to show you the car and you inspect it inside out and if you think its all in place, try squeeze in as much as discount as you can.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 19:05   #119
BHPian

Hi
As you said you can change car every 3 years then go in forthe December 2012 ertiga. With respect to any problems with car buy the extended warranty package you can be in peace of mind for the next 4 years.
Secondly bargain like hell with the sales guy. At least try to get a discount of 50000. Last but no least take a test drive of the car to ascertain any faults if any.
Old 15th June 2013, 21:44   #120
Senior - BHPian

I tried selling 2011 bought 2012 registered car recently and almost all buyers were willing to pay like they would for a 2011 car even though i've used the car only for 1 year and x months. So my suggestion is buy the Dec model only if you'll keep the car for long. If you plan to sell it in less than 4 years get the latest model. It also seems very odd that a car like Ertiga (good seller) i lying around for such a long time. Do ask them to give you Form 22 so that you'll know when it was manufactured and if possible the VIN no of this car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks