Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 23:46   #1
BHPian

Buying a previous model year car in the current year? Post all related queries here

Needed some advice regarding the pros and cons of buying a 2007 model car in 2008 from the dealership.
The sales guys in the dealership are saying that they will get it registered as a 2008 model and should be no problem. Do you think its fine to do this?

I am attracted to it because the dealer is willing to knock 70,000 rupees off the value of the car if I buy it.

Please advice!
Old 18th March 2008, 10:06   #2
BHPian

there is no harm in buying a car manufactured in 2007 and the sale is made in 2008.

The only point is the dealer basically wants to clear the stock and hence they offer good discounts and also form the valuation point will have a minor less value.

Otherwise from the product point of view all is well , only point u need to check is

has teh car been used as an demo car ( look athe kms its did... ideally not more than 50km max )
Do a through check and ask for soem freebies upon the discounts in cash like teflon coat, underboady coat ....

Finally all in the deal u get at the end of day and satisfaction...
Old 18th March 2008, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Which car are you referring to. If it is a running model from a good manufacturer, then no problem at all. I bought a 2006 production Corolla in 3/07 at an extra discount of 50K.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:37   #4
BHPian

No problem indeed Abhi.
Especially if you are sure that the model is not going to be phased out in the coming few years. The hefty discounts being offered at this point of time are majorly because of the end of the current financial year ... I guess there is nothing more to it .
Also , you may want to keep note of the fact that whatever discounts you are getting this point of time , might be offset a little when you plan to sell it across within a few years time .. because just as the zindian psyche goes .. 2007 model will fetch a few k's less than the 2008 model ... without taking into account the mileage factor !!!
Old 18th March 2008, 10:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related discussion : 2007 or 2008?
Old 18th March 2008, 11:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
has teh car been used as an demo car ( look athe kms its did... ideally not more than 50km max )
Do a through check and ask for soem freebies upon the discounts in cash like teflon coat, underboady coat ....
I did check while at the showroom. It has not been a Demo vehicle. They told me about some freebies with it, but I haven't got the exact list. Will get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Which car are you referring to. If it is a running model from a good manufacturer, then no problem at all.
Its Indigo Marina. Good idea/ Bad idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
No problem indeed Abhi.
Especially if you are sure that the model is not going to be phased out in the coming few years. The hefty discounts being offered at this point of time are majorly because of the end of the current financial year ... I guess there is nothing more to it .
Also , you may want to keep note of the fact that whatever discounts you are getting this point of time , might be offset a little when you plan to sell it across within a few years time .. because just as the zindian psyche goes .. 2007 model will fetch a few k's less than the 2008 model ... without taking into account the mileage factor !!!
Yeah, I thought about the resale value when it comes to that. But then I do not plan to sell it very soon. It's going to be a transporter with cycles+couple of riders and I feel it will serve our need for a long time. The other options like Ford Fusion and Palio Adventure are really more expensive/no more.
GTO: Did look at that thread also, some how missed it while reading up all similar / related threads on this car and tata in general over the past couple of days, thanks!
Old 18th March 2008, 12:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you want that car only, IMHO not a bad idea at all to save money by buying a 2007 model. If you are keeping it for a `long time', 70K savings is a lot. That means that 2008 Marina has no discount, and your incremental savings are 70K. Say, you save 70K now. At 9% interest for 5 years (say your holding period), your savings would be 108K. Thus in 2013, a 2008 used model would have to sell at a price higher by 108K over a 2007 used model. Since I have some idea about the used car business, a model year change could knock off around 30-40K of a used Indigo Marina. So even an incremental savings of 30K now over a 2008 model should prompt you to close the deal on 2007 model ASAP. Forget about resale if you plan to keep it for long.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:29   #8
BHPian

Thanks Vasu.
After reading up on the articles about how to get a good deal here on the forum, I did go to the competitor and get a quote after letting them know that I have already checked and looking for the best deal. (Go easy, I am a first time car buyer)

Here is the best deal on the 2008 model that the competitors could offer: Rs.25,000 cash discount, Remote Central locking (Xenos), Sunfilms, Floor Mats, Dicky mats, Mud flaps, God's idol (seriously, comes in the deal! ), Car perfume, Teflon coating, MP3 Player (Phillips Dynamo) with front 2 speakers

The problem is that I am no good at Music systems (do not know if that phillips is a good one) and have no clue about Xenos.

Now the question is: How is this in comparison with the older deal?

Last edited by abhi : 18th March 2008 at 12:34. Reason: To put in the url of how to buy a car.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The single biggest problem would be the deterioration of engine/electrical systems due to this long period of hibernation. And the dealership isnt giving you the full truth in that even though he may register it as a 2008 car, the engine and chassis details will contain the actual date of manufacture - which a discerning car buyer later on will question when you sell the car.
Old 18th March 2008, 12:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

In case you do not mind the year of make considerations during resell and you have reasons to believe that the discounts are really mouth watering you may, justtt may, think about it but only after having the following to look into before making the final decision in the matter.

* Take time to understand how the manufacturer embosses the year of make on the chassis. Every manufacturer has its own ways of doing this. Once you understand it ensure that the car you are planning to buy is not a model made before November 2007.

* Take a look at the wheels. The tires will have the year of make embossed on them. Check all the 5. If they have a year of make before Oct'07 insist that the dealer replaces the tires of the car. Remember, a car which has remained stationary for long will have deformities in shape of the tire. They may also develop cracks, bulges etc very soon.

* The other side of the car remaining stationary all this while is that it was running. Which is to say it was used by the showroom, either as a TD vehicle or for running its errands. Take a very minute look at the tire treads. If the tread edges seem to have minute pieces of rubber cut it means it was running all this while. While the tread may not wear off to be appreciable the edges of the tread develop some jagged cuts etc because of small pebbles and stone chips on the road.

There are many other similar things to look for to ensure that the car was not used. Search and you shall find a lot of material on this board.

* Finally, if you are satisfied that the car is of Nov'07 or so and was not used at all have a look at the battery. The battery will in all probabilities be the same one that came with the car. Ask the dealer to replace it with a new one. If the deal is very good you may even agree to bear half the cost of the battery but have it changed.

So there you are. If you ask me though I think it is a little late in the day, if not very late, to buy a 2007 vintage as a new car. The 1st quarter is almost over. So chances are even with a Nov'07 car you will have a lot of parts and aggregates which have been lying inoperative for probably 6-8 months. For some parts, particularly some rubber seals/gaskets etc that may mean hardening and minor cracks that may give up soon.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th March 2008 at 12:53.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:28   #11
BHPian

vasudeva, theMAG and Zappo: They are all very valid points and I will want to go and check of them out today. Thanks. Anything else that I should look out for?

Does the 2008 new car deal which I mentioned above make any sense?
Old 18th March 2008, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer the new deal ,ie the 2008 model car over the 2007 with the offers you have mentioned.Maybe off topic -but why a marina and not an indigo.Marina resale would be poor compared to the indigo ,so if you dont have any specific reason for a marina why not an indigo.
ram
Old 18th March 2008, 15:45   #13
BHPian

ram_hyundai:Thanks for posting! The reason for Marina over Indigo is just that of space. I need some space to put in a couple of cycle and also other luggage. Marina suits that. In fact the price of Marina in Bangalore is the same as that Bolero. But removing the back seats on the Bolero is a pain and the Marina gives more mileage as a people mover for us.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:55   #14
BHPian

Landed up at the showroom, and the sales guy who showed me the Marina wasn't around. Looked for the pointers as to whether it was a car that was already used and seemed like it was.
Just asked another sales guy who told us that he could help (due to the absence of the first) if that particular car was a Demo car directly and he said that it was! He obviously didn't know about my yesterday's conversation with the first guy.
Didn't tell him about all this and have asked for a quote and prices of a fresh 2008 car. Looks like I just escape being conned.

Hope I haven't started off my first car buying experience on the wrong foot.
Old 19th March 2008, 15:50   #15
BHPian

Got a call and the quote from the first dealer (Concorde): Rs.25,000 cash discount, Sunfilms, Floor Mats, Dicky mats, Mud flaps, God's idol (seriously, even here! ), Car perfume

After comparing Prerana's quote, he has said that he would try to give a Remote Central locking (Autocop). And that's the maximum he can give.

He also added that the MP3 player offered by the other dealer (Prerana) is not good and something about warranty and duplicate parts.

The most ridiculous thing is that he's still trying to sell me the 2007 model, now saying that its unused as a test drive vehicle, but a demo car kept for display. Made it clear that I am not interested.

I could hear some other guys in the background telling him to (aiyoo iddra phone) Tamil for 'keep the phone down' etc. Is it always this rowdyish and bad while buying a tata car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks