Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 01:48   #1
BHPian

Dzire or Swift?

hey guys,

i am confused deciding on what to buy, my budget is around 4-5L and i think Swift or Dezire seem like the most probable option i would go for.I am a fresh PG student and would be starting work in July, so i've got time on my hands.

Swift LXi is 4.20L and Dzire with just the extra boot would be around 5L, I intend to CNGfy after a while to care of the running costs. So should i stick with Swift(save 80k), go for the dzire(latest model, boot), go for some other car or just wait for some new launch in the near future?

please advice.

PS: I promise i'll listen to you guys..
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:19   #2
BHPian

Monaro,

I bought a Swift VXI around 20 days back... and I bought it knowing the fact that DZire was being launched.

Its more a stuff of your preference.... hatchback seems more peppy and sporty. I prefered that!

DZire is definitely more value for money than Hatchback swift. Plus the added comfort of 3Box design!

Since you are in NCR and you have enough weekend getaways.... you should think about going for 3Box Dzire!

Lets see what other TBhpians have to say for you!

Thanks and Regards
Rajat
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:32   #3
BHPian

1. If you want to save the extra bucks then go for swift.
2. If you travel a lot within city and want easy driving then go for the hatch.
3. If you travel out of city often and need the bootspace then go for the sedan.
4. A lot of it depends on your driving style and likes.

take and T.D of both the vehicles and jot down wot you like and dislike about both the vehicles then it shouldnt be that difficult to make the choice.
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

Are you absolutely sure that it is between these two cars only ?
If yes, buy a Swift if you are sure about CNG conversion. The dzire might take time to get the RTO approval for CNG kits.

If no, please give Santro CNG a try. Peace of mind with no loss of warranty with CNG.
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

If it's only between these two cars, then fitting CNG in Dzire would be preferred to Swift due to better boot space.
Not sure about RTO approval for CNG kits in DZire though.
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get Swift LDi or VDi if you are bothered about $. Why modify engine wengien with 3rd party CNG kit and also lose boot space?
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Get Swift LDi or VDi if you are bothered about $. Why modify engine wengien with 3rd party CNG kit and also lose boot space?
If you can stretch your budget for a Dzire, you might as well use that to get a Swift VDi to save your self the hassel and cost of a CNG kit.
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Simple, If you don't need a boot, go for the Swift!
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:15   #9
BHPian

Ok, Swift seems like the most popular choice, I'll go down to the Maruti showroom and TD both petrol and diesel and decide, LDi or VDi, VDi is like 30k more.
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Swift VDi, since you can afford a Dzire !!
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:54   #11
BHPian

Sswift VDi

Hey Monaro...

I am pretty sure you will like Swift Diesel.

Certainly, go for Swift Diesel instead of Petrol if its within your budget! Extend it upto Swift VDi and simply go for it!

The CNG kit will void your warranty too.

Thanks
Rajat
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:19   #12
BHPian

thanx for the replies guys..

Went to the dealer today, test drove the dzire zdi, liked what i felt, pity they didnt have swift d for TD.

As for the prices :

Swift LDi-5.05L
Swift VDi-5.45

Though i really like the VDi features but its 40k above, thats a lot.

Dzire Lxi-4.83L
Dzire Ldi-5.65L

Seems like i'll have to settle with LDi or if i go with the Lxi+CNG its going to cost me almost the same but with hassles.

Anyways i'll have a hard time convincing my dad about "diesel"(same old stereotype of diesels being noisy, erratic with huge bills) plus it being expensive than the Dzire Lxi!

lets see how it all goes..
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:40   #13
BHPian

Petrol Vs. Diesel & CNG

Monaro, id suggest that you go in for diesel or CNG only if you drive over 60kms everyday.

Else, it makes no sense at all to go for either. In fact, running costs of a petrol is lesser to diesel or cng car. Only expense being that petrol is more expensive than the other two.

But if you go to see, you are spending about 75 grand or more for diesel and 25-30 grand to get cng kit. So you are paying more than the stock petrol car and the difference in effeciency is very little. In the end, it will take approx. about 2 years (depending on how much you drive) for that extra cost to get recovered and for savings to start even if you drive over 50 kms daily.

So think and make an informed decision. Finally, remember that if you drive less than 60kms everyday, then going for anything apart from petrol is useless.

Last edited by Xehaust : 3rd April 2008 at 20:41.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:48   #14
BHPian

Dzire Vs. Swift

If you travel mainly in the city with a few weekend drives thrown in and dont use the boot to carry anything anyways then go for the Swift. Because anyways, on your daily route and on occasional drives on highway, you can put stuff at the back seat while driving.

Go for the Dzire only if you carry loads of lugguage everyday or plan to go on highways with a lot of lugguage and 4 people.

I drive an Astra and have realised that the boot is useless for me as i hardly ever carry much lugguage and the back seat is there when i do. Furthermore, if ever a boot is needed then im presuming that your Dad's car is always there.

So in the end, it depends on how much you carry with you. Id say the Swift is quite adequate. Hope all this helps.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
thanx for the replies guys..

Seems like i'll have to settle with LDi or if i go with the Lxi+CNG its going to cost me almost the same but with hassles.

Anyways I’ll have a hard time convincing my dad about "diesel"(same old stereotype of diesels being noisy, erratic with huge bills) plus it being expensive than the Dzire Lxi!

Lets see how it all goes...
Hi, don't opt for the diesel only because it runs on diesel. Prepare an excel sheet and put down your expected avg daily running and then evaluate if you breakeven in less than 2 years considering the premium you will be paying for the diesel car.

If your daily running does not justify the diesel (i.e. the breakeven is achieved in more than 2 years) simply go for the petrol. End of the day petrol is always more fun to drive. Experts may differ.

PS: Don't think the savings through the 3rd party CNG route is worth the hassles. It’s no great quality. If I were you I will opt for Santo CNG if economy is the main concern since it is provided by the company itself - but in this case its on you to take the call.

Most Viewed