Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 23:08   #1
BHPian

Optra Magnum OR Cedia Sports

Few months back when i posted in this section it ended in a stalemate (wait for the new lancer or linea).The new Lancer is some lightyears away(2009) and Linea is still long time to come (mid 2008).

Subsequently have dropped the idea of the Linea because i am not excited with having two cars from the same brand, i already have a 2003 Palio GTX.
But now the wait doesnt seem possible and i have to buy a car very soon. After months of test driving (in other words whiling away time) the shortlist is now down to Optra Magnum (LS) or Cedia Sports. I had booked the Cedia but then got enlightened to the existence of the Magnum as an option so backtracked.

My running would be approx 400kms a month with an ocassional highway drive of 500 - 1000kms once a quarter.

I am not bothered about resale value.
But i am very concerned on:
- build quality (the vehicle should be long lasting. i will be keeping this car for at least 6-7 years if not longer)
- handling
- comfort
- low cost of ownership
- low noise levels inside the cabin

I kind of liked both these cars and totally undecided on which of the two. My wife is leaning towards the Cedia.

The OTR deal i am getting on the two: Magnum LS - 9.2x Lac; C.Sports - 9.4x Lacs

It's now down to just one of these two and anyother car is not an option.

The question to the group is which one of the above two cars is one to go for. i would have loved to have both but...
Old 4th April 2008, 23:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you want the magnum, go for LT or else get the Cedia. The LS is not worth it. So much power and no ABS = disaster.
Old 4th April 2008, 23:37   #3
BHPian

Choose Cedia

Cedia is the better car between the Magnum and itself:

1) The car revolves around you. Its a morale booster to sit on that seat. Magnum is not a driver's car for long disance.

2) The interiors are elegantly luxurious. It is not garish unlike some cars going overboard. Magnum looks garish and a bit me-tooish.

3) At your driving usage, Petrol rules. So Magnum out of the window.

4) Road Uniqueness is inherent in Cedia and HM will maintain it for Mitsu.

5) Every little piece of Cedia is engineered with excellence in mind. Blaupunkt stereo/Bosch antenna/Stanley leather/Sheet metal stressed 50% more than Magnum. This could go on...

Its a cheetah. Love it /Drive it/Enjoy it.
Old 4th April 2008, 23:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
But i am very concerned on:
- build quality (the vehicle should be long lasting. i will be keeping this car for at least 6-7 years if not longer) Both are equally well built.
- handling - Cedia anyday
- comfort - Magnum
- low cost of ownership - Would have been Cedia, but Magnum is a diesel and also GM offers a 3 year free service package. So Magnum.
- low noise levels inside the cabin - Both are equally matched.

The question to the group is which one of the above two cars is one to go for. i would have loved to have both but...
The Questions you need to answer is Petrol or Diesel
and which feels 'Good to Drive'

Elito
Old 5th April 2008, 09:40   #5
BHPian

You can bargain with HM for a 3rd year extended warranty. I wouldn't agree with you on comfort - Magnum. For the driver, Cedia gives better comfort than Magnum (if you do not have any dislike to low seating in cedia). I have driven both and find cedia more comfortable to drive. Both are very close though.
I was also in similar confusion 2 month back and finally my choice was cedia for its loaded features for the price it offers.
Magnum scores a lot on interiors though. My wife never like cedia sports interiors.
Old 5th April 2008, 09:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess Cedia has the upper hand here. Magnum LS is not a good option.
If you going for Magnum for the LT.
Old 6th April 2008, 13:00   #7
BHPian

Re: Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If you want the magnum, go for LT or else get the Cedia. The LS is not worth it. So much power and no ABS = disaster.
yes i agree with your point. my wife said the same thing. it would be specially called to use on highway drives
Old 6th April 2008, 13:04   #8
BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Ghose View Post
Cedia is the better car between the Magnum and itself:

1) The car revolves around you. Its a morale booster to sit on that seat. Magnum is not a driver's car for long disance.
@Joy: the company rep. was mentioning something about an all wheel drive (AWD) i remember this feature was there in the forrester as well. although i am not sure what AWD does but doesnt it make driving easier?
So far i was under the impression that magnum would be good on long drives
Old 6th April 2008, 13:07   #9
BHPian

@SJ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
You can bargain with HM for a 3rd year extended warranty.
thanks for the idea. this didnt cross me when i talked to the dealer.would do that when i talk to them next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Magnum scores a lot on interiors though. My wife never like cedia sports interiors.
oh, its the reverse with me. my wife prefers the cedia's interiors
Old 6th April 2008, 14:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maven - Do you mean that the sales guy said Magnum has AWD??!! If yes, please kick him where it'll hurt most!
AWD = All Wheel Drive. Power goes to all four wheels. Magnum is FWD. As are all cars below the Merc Cs and Be-em 3s.
The Magnum is very good for long drives. Its comfy and rides well. As long as you don't attack corners aggressively, the Magnum's perfect. Build quality is decent. My first service bill came to Rs. 144x.
Old 6th April 2008, 23:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@SJ:

thanks for the idea. this didnt cross me when i talked to the dealer.would do that when i talk to them next.
Check if Dealer can offer this. Or else talk to HM directly for a manufacturer warranty. It works.

Quote:
oh, its the reverse with me. my wife prefers the cedia's interiors
Chevy interiors are more pleasant and so girls may love it. But I was ok with Cedia as it looks more manly. Thats what I expected from a sports version.
Old 7th April 2008, 11:42   #12
BHPian

Go for the Magnum, know it doesn't have ABS but it still has disc brakes on all four.

It's built to last, know a lot of people who love their petrol optra but for the FE. That's been sorted out with Magnum diesel and the gear shift is much better than the petrol.

Try and negotiate for a better price, specially if they have a December 07 model. Will have no impact on your resale and you just might get a steal
Old 7th April 2008, 12:51   #13
BHPian

@Shuvd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Maven - Do you mean that the sales guy said Magnum has AWD??!! If yes, please kick him where it'll hurt most!
AWD = All Wheel Drive. Power goes to all four wheels. Magnum is FWD. As are all cars below the Merc Cs and Be-em 3s.
Yes the sales rep said it has AWD and i was elated to hear that. but since you mention it doesnt thats a disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Maven -
The Magnum is very good for long drives. Its comfy and rides well. As long as you don't attack corners aggressively, the Magnum's perfect. Build quality is decent. My first service bill came to Rs. 144x.
i have had a palio GTX for over 4 years now and do tend to take on corners.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ Maven - The sales rep is a %$#@. But, whats new eh?
Why don't you TD a Magnum and see how it feels? I'm getting better tires this week. That should improve matters a great deal as the stock Goodyears are CRAP! Will keep you updated.
Old 7th April 2008, 16:31   #15
VMG
BHPian

if you going to keep the car for 6-7 years, then close your eyes and go for CEDIA. I also got the 3rd year warranty free from the dealer.
It is really VFM.
Enjoy driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks