Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:48   #16
BHPian

I guess fusion could also be considered..it looks great and the only downside would be the slightly higher price and a lesser but acceptable fuel economy.
Old 3rd February 2005, 17:52   #17

Thanks all of you for such a nice response to my question. Really thaful to you.

To moderators, Thanks for Welcoming me. I came across "teambhp" while searching for reviews on SWING and OPEL. and just got amased to see how insteractive this forum is !!!!
Space requirement in SWING is enough for me but also want such car with which i can cruise (being a YAMAHA rider ) at higher speed with some sporty look. [If budget is not being my problem then certainly i'd have gone for HONDA CR-V ] so i am looking for somewhat different and more than Sedans (e.g. esteem,corsa,Accent etc) withing my budget. (space is problem with sedans for me as i frequently used go for outing with family so requires more space)
I also saw FORD fusion but from the looks it doesn't seem like a 7.5 lacs CAR. Sorry to say but no beauty from inside at all. :(
Also Scorpio is little overpriced for me. so......

Hi RX135,
I visited Jay-Vijay Motors and he has last Adventure remained (whose color i don't like at all) in showroom and ready to give 53K discount on that. But I rejected that offer . Si I went to Ashwamegh Auto, where showroom person called to FIAT Company and asked about Adevnture's Status so that company rep said that Model has been discontinued and may launch another variant in around April '05.
Also thanks for your suggestions on dealers.

Thanks for nice reviews on Marina .
But what about from the safty point of view (engine safty, safty of persons inside and overall safty). ?
Whatever i have realised and understood is that apart from "side impact beam" , Marina has nothing specific to mention. No engine guard, No crash sensor, No Automatic release of central locking and child locking in case of impact, No deformation of front/rear bumphers on case of light impact, No extra heat shield for engine, No insulation for engine circuit wiring, No diagonal brakes (if i am not wrong diagonal breakes are for preventing imbalance of car while breaking at high speeds and prevents sliding of the road). All of these do exist in Corsa SWING (obviosly for more money ) . Above all when we lift bonnet of Marina and SWING , one can easily make a difference in the weight. also while opening a doors. SWING uses very thick guage steel sheet which I think can withstand against more impact / collisions. I remember if i am not wrong then OPEL Astra (back), one of most sturdy SEDAN in it's category.
So due to this my mind is favouring SWING but still I asked to you all guys your opinion.

thanks once again
Hemant
Old 3rd February 2005, 18:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey Hemant ,

with that budget why dont you consider the BALENO ALTURA ?? looks good , spacious , and MUL service and now CHEAPER too i guess !!

but if ur looking for a choice amongst the SWING and MARINA - the SWING it is.

simply because TATA cars have the worst fit n finish and are the least friendly to drive ( refer a poll on this very site ). the only plus for the MARINA is the space and that its a diesel.

but if u want refinement with driving pleasure , good fit n finish and adequate service - The SWING wins hands down !

hope this helps !
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:13   #19
BHPian

Swing over the Marina for me too!!
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:15   #20
BHPian

Hemant, Close your eyes and go for the Maruti Baleno Altura, the F.E is good, Maruti service is reputed and the cost of the vehicle is also less. The engine is powerful and the ride is smooth and comfortable.
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemantR
No diagonal brakes (if i am not wrong diagonal breakes are for preventing imbalance of car while breaking at high speeds and prevents sliding of the road).
What is this diagonal brake? Was it mentioned in the corsa's broachers?? Hearing it for the first time...

Last edited by gkrishn : 3rd February 2005 at 19:29.
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

guys the altura is way above the budget of 7 lacs.if at all u stretch ur budget for the altura then wait for the euro-3 scorpio .
swing is too cramped for a station wagon ,marina is too crude .
but if you compare the swing and the marina ,its the marina for me due to its lower running costs .
Old 3rd February 2005, 21:45   #23
Team-BHP Support

Diagonal braking means there are 2 seperate brake lines using 2 seperate circuits. Each individual brake line connects to one front brake and the diagonally opposite rear brake. i.e. front left and rear right brake will use one line while the right front and left rear will use the other line.

This has nothing to do with stability or anything. This is a simple safety measure in that in the case of a problem with one line (like a leak), the other line will still work activating one front and one rear brake so you can still stop your car safely.

This has been mandatory for vehicles for decades now, and each and every car sold today has this. Don't let the dealer pretend this is a USP of one particular car.
Old 4th February 2005, 11:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

i've got 2 OPELs and am happy with both as well with the service i get from national garage. but then i am one customer they dont like to piss off. other friends have not had as plesant expereinces with NG as me.

both cars have only had minor work (AC harness, etc..). My astra is circa sept 1996. has over 50K on it and has only now gone in for a cluth change.
Old 4th February 2005, 15:35   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
1. If you are in Pune, make sure you talk with both Fiat dealers. I saw Adventure at Jay-Vijay showroom approx. 1 month back.
2. *** Make sure you talk with Fiat sales person than relying all on dealer *** I was told that black/hazel grey color for Petra is discontinued, while Fiat informed me that it is not the case. (Now its available)

I mentioned Fiat as an option ONLY because you said resale is not an issue. If you do care, then chuck this option off.
I saw an adventure with Jay-Vijay today when I mistook a yellow coloured Palio 1.2 to be an S10 and just hopped in to check if they would sell it to me for some cool discounts only to be disppointed they have ADventures with them dunno if Fiat at the hub has discontinued it... my bet would be with a Scorp... its truly a good vehicle... IF you are interested in buying an ADventure and want to confirm whether its still in production let me know we can go together to Ashwamegh ... I know many people out there....
Old 6th February 2005, 17:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemantR
Hi All,

Thanks for all who shared their important suggestions and experiance with me.
Some of you asked me to go for FIAT adventure , but as all of you know , even the Adventure is a nice car, after sale service is really bad, And currently FIAT has stopped production of ADVENTURE (one of FIAT dealer in Pune gave me this info after speaking to FIAT company representative, May be after april they launch it's variant)

Secondly, I shortlisted Marina Diesel and not Petrolonly after hearing (from the dealer only) that TATA's Petrol engines are not very reliable and not FE and will give only 5-6 km/l in city.

thanks
Hemant
DONT!! ever buy a tata indigo/marina petrol. Stick to diesel. Or you will cry as 3 of my very good friends are crying.. And why are they crying: Non availablity of parts. Tata petrol is in severe improve the car mode. So when they find problems with a certain design aspect they change the design. For example the fuel pipe positon was awkward and prone to getting damaged due to rubbing. Now its been three monts since their fuel pipes got punctured but they cant get fuel pipes from the dealers and that too in bangalore.!!! They are making do with a polythene wrapped around it and even calls to tata area managedid not have any effect! One of them is thinking of consumer court

Most Viewed