Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 23:38   #46
BHPian

Since you have ruled out Aveo, the next ultimate choice would be Honda city considering only the interiors, otherwise SX4....... is way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ok. Lancer is dropped.
SX4 yet to do a TD.
Went to Sundaram Motors today and discussed about the offers. No TD vehicle was available today. So, requested for one tomorrow.

Aveo 1.4 LS
7.45L OTR - 30K cash Discount

Aveo 1.4 LS Limited Edition
7.60L OTR - 13K cash Discount

Btw, he claimed he can give some more cash discounts if i opt for the 2007 model. But i was not sure if thats the one people were talking about the gear-shifts problem. Anyway, asked him to give the figures. Will update you tomorrow.
Seems the Limited edition has more takers and hence very less discount on it. Yes, it has more goodies and just 15K diff on OTR.
seems we need to pay almost 10K for the cashless warranty for 3 years.
Old 14th April 2008, 23:56   #47
Team-BHP Support

mjothi, do not open threads without reasons. This once we have merged your 2 threads. There is no reason to have two different threads for what is essentially the continuation of the same discussion.
Old 15th April 2008, 07:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

I started with 7Lacs as budget (+ 1lac max). Cedia is 9.8Lac otr so certainly no.
I started this thread to clear my confusion on the Aveo & Lancer, then started new TD thread for the TD. I think time to merge (or close) this thread.

Last edited by mjothi : 15th April 2008 at 07:12. Reason: Thanks Mods. Just noticed its already merged.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:51   #49
aks316

so what have you decided.. have you ruled out aveo.. ?

Old 15th April 2008, 21:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here comes the beast to push all the other aside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks316 View Post
so what have you decided.. have you ruled out aveo.. ?
Almost negotaited and about to book the Aveo, and my inner beast said its time to test the Safari beast.
Here is the fight between me & my inner beast,

Me: Why should i go for a Tata safari?
Beast: Because you loved it from your childhood, its your dream car (SUV).
Me: But its expensive. 8.6Lacs onroad.
Beast: So what? with just 1 Lac extra you own your dream machine. Go for it.
Me: No, its diesel and expensive to maintain.
Beast: Diesel but gives same mileage of a Petrol car you were thinking of. So, same KM with lesser price. Do you maths right.
Me: Ummm, ya but all say that it is difficult to maintain a TATA vehicle after say 50K KMs.
Beast: Ha ha ha ha... Do you really think you will compelte this 50K on 5 years atleast? Think again, you just completed 10K on a 3 year old ZEN.
Me: Yes, but what about the resale value.
Beast: Good question. But should be ok, and dont worry about whats after 5 years. Think your happiness for these 5 years.
Me: Its bulky. Too difficult to manage in a traffic like Bangalore.
Beast: Yes. Agreed. But without testing, its not fair to say so. Atleast give it a try.
Me: Ok, I will take a TD.

And finally managed to take a test drive from Concorde Motors. Ummm. My beast was right.
Its good to drive a Safari. Feels like a king once you sit behind the wheel. Good vision of the road. Wanted to check if I can really manage the beast in the traffic. Took it to my home on a busy street. Tried to check for parking in my appartment. It needs 2 front & rear to slot it in the parking area. And also steal some of the place from neighbour slot.

Went on the ORR and reached a max of 80kmph. Thanks to the traffic. Not able to go beyond.
Overall, I liked the vehicle. Nothing much to comment on it as there are so many safari lovers here who have posted the behaviour of this beast.
The gear stick felt like something broken and hanging. So lose? Or so flexible? It was a EX model with more than 10K kms done on odo. I am looking for LX though.
No discounts. No freebies. Just pay 8.59(including 2 yrs ext warranty) and take the beast. This is what the sales person from Concorde said.
Now, the question is, how difficult or easy to maintain this guy? Will our purse get a hurt everytime you service this?
I keep hearing different talks from different set of peoples. Most say that a TATA vehicle is always trouble in long run. Will have to visit service station often after 2 or 3 years of usage. Is it true?

P.S. Ummm, I can hear you guys laughing and screeming. Beleive me, this has become the toughest decision. When I bought my Zen, I just walked to Maruti showroom and booked one. But, now its totally different. Can't decide on one, but can but only one
Old 15th April 2008, 21:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dude,

dont go by what the concorde guy is saying. take a quote from Prerna and Manipal as well. Safari is coming with a 12k discount plus 6k corporate discount. Concorde fellows are very arrogant and give the least possible discount.

when I bought my safari, the discount I got from my dealer was 15k MORE than what concorde was giving.
Old 15th April 2008, 22:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Wow nice to see the beast entering in the option list . MJothi i guess your thread might soon end up as Or...Or....Or...
Old 15th April 2008, 23:28   #53
BHPian

Its really nice to know that You opted for the beast.Since u said you will be driving to chennai often,The beast will be the right thing for you.I have been to chennai and back 3 trips,1 trip to tirupathi,1 trip to ooty...It was amazing and I ruled the road.People gave way on looking at my BULL.It was also my dream car when it was wayback launched,But then I opted for sierra turbo due to various reasons.But,Now I own My dream car.....MY BULL
Old 16th April 2008, 08:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Wow nice to see the beast entering in the option list . MJothi i guess your thread might soon end up as Or...Or....Or...
I am afraid it may end up true
Thanks, we have just few more left in the list...
Old 16th April 2008, 09:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

Mjothi - Since you were quite confused with the C+ Segment cars. I guess you just stretch your budget and opt for the Safari. Im sure you wont regret . Also looking at the no. of bhpians praising after owning this vehicle i would say buy the beast!
Old 17th April 2008, 11:37   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Me: Why should i go for a Tata safari?
Beast: Because you loved it from your childhood, its your dream car (SUV).
Me: But its expensive. 8.6Lacs onroad.
Beast: So what? with just 1 Lac extra you own your dream machine. Go for it.
Me: No, its diesel and expensive to maintain.
Beast: Diesel but gives same mileage of a Petrol car you were thinking of. So, same KM with lesser price. Do you maths right.
Me: Ummm, ya but all say that it is difficult to maintain a TATA vehicle after say 50K KMs.
Beast: Ha ha ha ha... Do you really think you will compelte this 50K on 5 years atleast? Think again, you just completed 10K on a 3 year old ZEN.
Me: Yes, but what about the resale value.
Beast: Good question. But should be ok, and dont worry about whats after 5 years. Think your happiness for these 5 years.
Me: Its bulky. Too difficult to manage in a traffic like Bangalore.
Beast: Yes. Agreed. But without testing, its not fair to say so. Atleast give it a try.
Me: Ok, I will take a TD.
Wow !! What a discussion!!. I also had this when I bought my Yamaha some 10 years back – the competition was from HH splendor which most of the guys in my engineering gang had. The question was of the fuel efficiency in which Yamaha was down by almost 30% - still the heart ruled and said if it has to be a bike it should be Yamaha – after all riding should be fun !!! who cares for the high fuel cost (since my father was the financer that time) and who cares for a practical decision !!

Then 2.5 years back when I bought my Zen LX – another discussion happened and again heart ruled – driving should be fun – who cares if it is cramped and who cares if it is not a practical decision in front of a Santro which obviously is a more practical family car !!

But things change – last month when I planned an upgrade the heart wanted to go for something like fiesta or fusion. But this time heart lost and practicality won – practicality asked to buy a car with good rear space for parents, low ownership cost for my wallet & safety features for self and hence bought an Aveo – obviously driving is not that fun now but still good.

So the crux of the story my friend is however you are in love with the beast – think about everything twice before going for it !!

These were your priorities

Quote:
Requirements / priority (in order),
1. Better build quality + interiors
2. Better handling (I drive in city + drive on highways atleast once every month, usually to Chennai)
3. Low Maintenance and peace of mind
4. Ofcourse VFM
5. Resale
7. FE
Do you think Safari answers all the question ?

Am not discouraging you for Safari but just advising a well thought off decision.
Old 17th April 2008, 12:42   #57
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting to get the allotment of Aveo and then post here
To make it brief, I just slapped my beast for bringing the topic of Safari once I went to the showroom to book it

Going to Sundaram for choosing my car today. Will update you friends.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:06   #58

i am facing the same dilemma, i own a wagonR july 2006 model, its vxi, run 19000 kms, now thinking of upgrading, my budget is strictly upto 7 lacs, shortlisted SX4 zxi, (ex showroom 7.11lakhs, they are providing free insurance over this) Ford Fiesta diesel (7.05lakhs...no discount), Maruti swift Dzire (but waiting period of 4 months:()

which car should i go for?? my concerns are

1. FE
2. Maintenance cost
3. Looks and feel inside the vehicle
4. driving comfort
Old 17th April 2008, 21:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Finally booked an Aveo 1.4 LS Limited edition.

Today visited to Sundaram for booking my Aveo 1.4 LS Limited Edition, Blazing Red. I went around 4pm. I did the basic checking for all electricals, Players, dents or any unusual things on the body of the car. And when I was about to note down the Chasis number he said it is alloted to a different person

But initially he said this is what going to be alloted to me. So, he again showed one more car and I found that it was 2007 model. So, I just rejected. He said he will allot me a car tomorrow (initially he said within 3 days!!!) from the Nelamangala Yard. Its a company purchase and I have already provided the P.O to them. Now I am little worried if they will allot a 2007 model. I keep insisting him not to allot without me checking the car. Hope I can visit to yard tomorrow with him. He never says anything firm.

I opted for fancy number and he said it would cost 7.5K. Any idea? Anyway, I decliend all freebies he said he would give (body cover, sunflim, floor mats, mud flaps, teflon coating) and in turn aksed to do it free. He said he would check with manager and let me know tomorrow. Reason is, he is in meeting from morning... I waited till almost 6pm and it was just in vein.

The sales guy really speaks differnet thing everytime I talk to him. That is the reason I am bit concerned. Planing to visit tomorrow also and accompany him to the Yard. Will update tomorrow.
Old 17th April 2008, 23:33   #60
BHPian

mjothi thats a realllllll braaavvvee decision on your part .. mind ruling over the heart, i still wish you would have gone with the BEAST

BTW congrats for the new car
cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks