Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 20:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aveo 1.4 Limited editon OR Lancer OR SX4 ZXi

I searched this forum and got a lot of informations on each of the above cars in question. But confused on which thread I should post this query. Created a new one.
Mods: Please merge this if you feel this has to be.

Coming back to the confusion!!!

I had a Zen which is under selling now and I want to upgrade to a new segment. The initial feeling i had was to go for GM or Lancer. I am little not happy with the Maruti build quality. I was under impression that the build quality of Lancer & Aveo is superior to maruti. (Correct me if wrong).

Love at first site:
Ever since I have driven the Lancer for several KMs (Kanchi to Chennai) I started to love the vehicle. Not only for the look but also the way it handles the traffic. I was a guy who always felt that "the longer the bonnet is, the toughest it is to drive in traffic". This guy totally changed my thinking. So, that was one reason I was leaned more towards this Lancer.

But, since it was launched 10 years back, was in dilema if to go or not. Thats how I came to Aveo. On enquiring, the Aveo 1.4 LS Limited editon seems to be VFM with all features that a Lancer and more too. Like Alloy, Leather upholstry, DIN etc. (OTR is 7.6Lacs)

So, till now I was really happy that I narrowed down to 2 options and should be easy to decide.

Today I went to Southern Motors. Oh, the response from the guy made be totally against Lancer

He said they had no car to even display and no car to TD also. I asked then how did he expect people to book cars? Just gave some Lame excuse saying they had TD car 2 months back, but nothing now and started talking on Phone. Thats the end of the discussion. I stepped out and Called Lathangi. I dont want to leave the car without even doing a TD. Thats the problem when you fall in love...

But Lathangi was really good for me. Immd he said he has TS car and can bring it to my home tomorrow for TD. Good. I booked TD.

Human mentality is it never satisfies with one(sometimes even with more than one). I also called Vijay motors and asked to send a car for TD tomorrow. He confirmed he will bring one tomorrow.

So, I would be talking with them tomorrow and then will update you people. Question now is, all of a sudden, SX4 entered in to this picture when I did a casual call to Pratham and aksed for waiting period. He said, no waiting period and can get the car (SX4 ZXi) delivered in 2 working days.

This is were all got messed. Should I "think" about SX4 or be firm with my initial decision.

Requirements / priority (in order),
1. Better build quality + interiors
2. Better handling (I drive in city + drive on highways atleast once every month, usually to Chennai)
3. Low Maintenance and peace of mind
4. Ofcourse VFM
5. Resale
7. FE
Old 11th April 2008, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Aveo 1.4 LS with all goodies @ 7.6 l on road!!! i would rather ask you to opt for 1.6 LT in AVEO. For your priorities SX4 does nt fit in. GM seems to be giving good peace of mind upto 3 years. For the options you have given Aveo seems the best bet. If you can wait for 6 months you can opt for the Next gen City which will be better than the present Gen City. Give a shot at the Fiesta 1.6 petrol too !! If you're in a hurry to purchase a car it should be Aveo Vs Fiesta.
Old 12th April 2008, 09:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mjothi, Go for the SX4 ZXi wih eyes closed. It is the most modern and the most powerful car of the lot and is backed by MASS. It has great features and and is a very safe car. The Aveo has good interiors but a not so good engine and gearbox. It does not offer safety equipment like ABS or Airbags. Things like leather upholstery, Alloys and Sterio are available on the SX4 or can be bought as after market fitments while you cannot say the same for Airbags and ABS.

The SX4 comes with a 2 yr warranty and you can buy an additional two years. Being a contemporary successful model and a Maruti it will also command a good resale value. My SX4 offers 12 kmpl in city bumper to bumper driving with 100% ac usage which is decent. The car seats are comfortable with great seating position , the big wheels and good ground clearance allows the car to tackle all kinds of roads.

The car is attractively priced and you will do well to buy one before the prices shoot up ( on account of higher steel prices).

The Lancer is an obsolete machine by today's standards and HM may decide to discontinue it any time . Even now they are concentrating on the Cedia.

Both GM and Mitsubishi products have hoorible resale values.

When investing go for a successful product from a established manufacturer with good After Sales and Service( in India) and enjoy peace of mind.

I would like to say that the SX4 offers almost all features of a Civic at a 40% lower cost.
Old 12th April 2008, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Aveo Vs Lancer (SX4 may be involved in the competition)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...r-sx4-zxi.html
contd...

Today I had both the vehicle (Aveo & Lancer) for TD.

Aveo:
Guys from Vijay motors got the Blazing red and was so attractive to look at the car. After initial explanation about the car, gave me the key. Seats are little higher and comfortable to get in. Pick up is sluggish with the AC. Reversing was little difficult for me. Also, the gear is not in its usual bottm right position. It has a latch to be released and pushed to extreme left top to engage the Reverse. Something I never seen before. Heard that Aveo only has this model. Interior is really good with the 1DIN and gives the proud of owning a luxury car The main problem is the vision. The windshield is reflecting the dashboard and it is really difficult to drive with that. The reason he siad for that is because, the glass was 30% tinted and hence it will be like that only.
The rear seats are comfortable and has a armrest with CupHolder. Nice one. All the doors had facility to keep Maps or bottles.
Slaes person claimed that the steel used in Aveo is of 1.6mm (maruti is 1.44mm) and hence stronger.
Overall, the sales person did a good job of explaining all features including under the hood and boot.
Cost: 7.6Lac OTR, no discounts,
Freebies: Mats and mud flaps.

Lancer:
Guys from Lathangi got a old Lancer and I was informed that it is their MD's car. It has clocked 76K KMs and still going on good.
Seats are lower compared to the Aveo. But once you are in, then its more comfortable than Aveo. Reversing is no issue. Pickup is slightly less with AC than without. Guess it is usual in all cars. The only problem with this is the outdated and boring dash. (Can we do anything for this?)
Rear seats are also very comfy. It has armrest, but with no cup holder. Seems there is a AC duct below the front sear for the rear passengers. The car ahd leather seats, but I was told the new one does not have leather but Fabrics. I was also told that they can change it to Leather (Stanley) for additional 25k.

Cost: 8.1Lac OTR, 25K discount (7.85 - 7.80Lac)
Freebies: Floor mats, Perfume, Idol and Lummar Sunflim (Can we changed to 5K cash discount for Sunflim)
One thing i noticed is, the Insurance in Lathangi is 3K less than the Southern Motors. How is it possible?

Currently more marks for Lancer than Aveo. Will update you friends soon on the decision.

Btw, the Lancer guys said that they will inform Chennai Plant only after firm booking and then They will start assembling the car and will be shipped here witin ONE week. Is this how they operate?

Last edited by mjothi : 12th April 2008 at 13:48.
Old 12th April 2008, 14:23   #5
BHPian

These are in my opinion, cars in two different segments. Due to price cut of Lancer it has come closer to price range of Aveo. Do you know that Lancer is coming up with a major facelift? It will be available in first half of 2009. Price range 11-13lakhs. The current model is a bit outdated.

Aveo is not a drivers car. But a good overall package. Check out Aveo LS Limited edition. It seems to be VFM. The reverse gear shift is same in many GM cars (Opel etc...). You will get used to it in a matter of time. Also the dash reflection is not an issue at all after a while.

Nirmal
Old 12th April 2008, 15:17   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

8 lakh rupees for a Lancer! That is really a no-no for a car thats been around for a decade now. If anything, the resale alone will kill you.

How about taking a TD of the Cedia too? On a 3 - 5 year loan, the difference in EMI wouldn't be all that much. And you would be getting a thoroughly modern sedan too.
Old 12th April 2008, 17:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is you also TD Cedia Sports and Fiesta 1.6. This may give you a better picture of which of the lot is better / good.

Last edited by snaronikar : 12th April 2008 at 17:13.
Old 12th April 2008, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Go for SX4 more VFM, great engine, tall stance and it will be around 6.8 lakhs otr for the VXI and if you want to go for ZXI with all the bells and whistles it will be around 7.5 lakh.
Old 13th April 2008, 00:10   #9
BHPian

I'm was at wit's end when I read that the Lancer is quoted at 8 lacs. I had thought, although I can't remember why, that the Lancer's price had already been slashed to 7-point-something levels. Even then, that's big money for a really old car whose interiors look like the Alto's, and with a power output that is not becoming of a sedan of that class.

All I can say is, stay away from the Lancer. Shamelessly overpriced for this time. SX4, I suspect, should be much more fun to drive than the Aveo. Beyond that, it gets too subjective. Choose well.

Last edited by skandyhere : 13th April 2008 at 00:12.
Old 13th April 2008, 00:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Requirements / priority (in order),
1. Better build quality + interiors
2. Better handling (I drive in city + drive on highways atleast once every month, usually to Chennai)
3. Low Maintenance and peace of mind
4. Ofcourse VFM
5. Resale
7. FE

For the First Four points.... AVEO !!

For 5th n 7th(errr) ... SX4 !!

Cheers ! cheers:
Old 13th April 2008, 09:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
5. Resale
7. FE
did u miss the 6th one or you want to keep a secret?

I wont recommend a Lancer. It's now almost a decade old car and should be phased out soon. Go for Cedia if you want a Mitsu's road manners.

I really cant comment on Aveo as I haven't driven it recently. My neighbor owns a black 1.6LT and i must say - its a good looking car.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:09   #12
Team-BHP Support

the lancer is too old even though it handles like a gem. it should be phased out soon. the aveo has good ride but its handling sufferes due to that. the sx4 is the newest of the lot and will give you the better resa;e and fe out of the 3.
Old 13th April 2008, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Forget the Lancer - It's almost a decade old. Is it still being made ????

So it narrows down to the Sx4 or Aveo. I find the Aveo much better to drive than the SX4. Resale - SX4 will beat the Aveo here.

The LT option variant is also well loaded and looks great. Also you'd get bettter discounts on the Aveo.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:00   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The Lancer is an obsolete machine by today's standards and HM may decide to discontinue it any time .
Yes, we all know that HM is pretty quick at discontinuing old models.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the feedbacks guys.
Yes, I dropped the Lancer.
Now trying to take a TD for SX4, but could not get it today. I dont have my vehicle today with me and find it difficult to get guys coming here for the TD :(
Anyway, i should finalise it this week i guess. Keep you posted.

Most Viewed