Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2005, 13:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Owner of Fiat Petra

Hi Team,

First of all, let me congratulate myself on getting a new Fiat Petra (Petrol).

Selection process :
After months of R & D about cars in Indian marker, I finally zeroed down on Fiat Petra (Petrol). I had following criteria while choosing the car.
  1. Budget between 5-7 L (7.5 only for NHC)
  2. Good performance
  3. Good ride
  4. Solid build and stable handling.
  5. Do not care much for resale value. I plan to use it for long time. Looking for "build to last" vehicle.
  6. FE should be >9 kmpl.

I had following cars in mind while choosing :
  1. Opel Corsa (I love that car. Big big fan of German engineering!)
  2. NHC
  3. Baleno (Most underrated car in Indian car history. Alright, too much of exaggeration here! )
  4. Fiat Petra

I never liked Accent and about Ikon, I was little skeptical if it's a car build to last.
I was very much keen on Opel Corsa. Especially, 1.6 Royale! Although not many agree with me, I always loved its solid build and classy looks. May be I have weird sense of aestehtics! It's so compact and neat. But it lost on interior space, especially rear seat. It's also little more pricey for its specifications and is dated now (There for almost last 6 years without much change).

There was a huge debate, between me and affluent family members participating in decision making, about NHC. NHC is not a drivers car, but I loved its looks and it has got fabulous space and interior. It has got a refined engine, low on power but good low end torque.

Baleno had almost everything except its looks. I was flip-flopping between Baleno and NHC for a couple of months, and was almost decided on Baleno, when my sister bought Alto. But then Petra jumped into contention and spoilt the party.

It had everything I was looking for. The handling is claimed to be bit edgy but neverthless fun to drive. Powerful engine with a sexy note, excellent ride quality, safe/solid build, sexy looks (It looks fabulous in black, this time, many will agree with me. Had too may heads turning to catch a glimpse as we drove from Showroom to home). It looks far better than Baleno and comes at almost 1L less. I dont care about resale.

Buying experince :

This was supposed to be the most horrible experience. Well! Nothing can be farther from truth.

I checked out both Fiat showrooms in Pune. (Moralfibre, thanks for inputs on Ashwmegh!) Either one was polite, willing to give information and co-operative. I did not have to ask for test ride. They obliged. I was told that black and hazel grey are discontinued. (This in last week of December) I checked with Fiat sales, they said they will provide both colors in January. I was initially bugged with no response from Fiat Sales, but after a rather harsh reminder, I got all information which I had asked for.

Pricing/discounts is always a sticky issue. But some clever negotiations landed me with good discounts. Got good deal with freebies like tubeless, discount on original fiat alloys, T.C., extended warranty etc.

I had a brief encounter with Planet Ford showroom and if I have to compare it with Fiat, it was aweful. No knowledge of car, pathetic "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude. I didn't want to talk with them anytime later.

Ashwamegh Fiat sales was fantastic (barring some of the typical sales pitch) and I would not hesitate recommending them to prospective buyers.

There has been lot of talk in media and even on this forum about Fiat's pathetic dealers. I can say, at least in Pune, they are fantastic. (I got a call from dealer asking me if everything is fine after two days of delivery).

Overall, it was very pleasant experience! Hope, the A/S/S will be similar.

About car:

Apart from "vanilla" Petra, I added following :

1. Side moulding ( I feel, they are must)
2. Fiat original alloys.
3. Goodyear tubeless.
4. Teflon coating.
5. Waiting to hear from you people about where to get good seat covers. I want beige colored leather seat covers. (Good quality original leather is ~16000/- while PU leather is 3,000/-). Have no idea where can I get them. In Pune or Mumbai?
6. 6 speaker Kenwood system.

Looks like this turned out to be a real long post, but hope you all will bear with it! Happy motoring!!
Old 7th February 2005, 13:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey pal...

Congratulations on the purchase of the Petra. The Petra is value for money and has performance at the same time. The 100 bhp engine is awesome. Pnly the future of Fiat and ASS put it off for most buyers but I see u had a good buying experience.

Anyways happy driving and do post pics of your newly aquired possession

Dippy
Old 7th February 2005, 13:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Hey pal...

Congratulations on the purchase of the Petra. The Petra is value for money and has performance at the same time. The 100 bhp engine is awesome. Pnly the future of Fiat and ASS put it off for most buyers but I see u had a good buying experience.

Anyways happy driving and do post pics of your newly aquired possession

Dippy
Thanks! I'll do that soon. Gotta wipe off the dust off my handicam
Old 7th February 2005, 13:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

congratz on the new buy.
Old 7th February 2005, 14:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hey Dude,

Congrats on the new Petra. I wish I too will be able to buy a Petra in June 2005. Unless Skoda throws up some amazing Fabia Petrol Package, I will most probably buy Petra. I don't see any competition otherwise. For a while I was excited about NHC VTEC, but many BHPians appear unimpressed, don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Buying experince :

This was supposed to be the most horrible experience. Well! Nothing can be farther from truth.
I think it depends on the dealership. We Bangaloreans are at the mercy of T.V.Sundaram motors whether we like it or not. There are only 3 dealers in Karnataka. Hmm, may be I should consider buying in Mangalore which is near my native place.
Old 7th February 2005, 14:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hey Dude,

Congrats on the new Petra. I wish I too will be able to buy a Petra in June 2005.

I think it depends on the dealership. We Bangaloreans are at the mercy of T.V.Sundaram motors whether we like it or not. There are only 3 dealers in Karnataka. Hmm, may be I should consider buying in Mangalore which is near my native place.
Thanks! June is way too far Things change so rapidly. Fabia will possibly be priced at > 7L.

I read some good remarks about TVS off late, but heard more bad things than good ones for sure. Why dont you come and buy it in Pune? Just kidding!

P.S.: It will be still too early for me to comment on dealership since never had any A/S/S experience yet. Way to go!
Old 7th February 2005, 18:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey RX135,

congrats on your petra.the 1.6 is a superb engine and you will definitely love it.
how about some pics.

drive safe,

satya
Old 7th February 2005, 18:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Satya!

BTW, good news for prospective Petra buyers! Fiat has spruced the upholstery in 2005 Petras, which was a really sore point earlier. Of course, dont expect Fiat to advertise it
Old 7th February 2005, 21:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Satya!

BTW, good news for prospective Petra buyers! Fiat has spruced the upholstery in 2005 Petras, which was a really sore point earlier. Of course, dont expect Fiat to advertise it
hey RX, is it the Euro III version, whats the ex-showroom price for that...
Old 8th February 2005, 13:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdeccanet
hey RX, is it the Euro III version, whats the ex-showroom price for that...
No. This is not E-III version. Euro III is expected at the end of March. Ex showroom price in Pune is 5,08,000/-.
Old 8th February 2005, 13:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you refering to the car you bought, so you got the upgraded 2005 Petra.
Old 8th February 2005, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats RX. Enjoy your ride.
Old 8th February 2005, 16:05   #13
BHPian

Congrats RX!! Waiting for the pics!!
_CheerS_
Old 8th February 2005, 16:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats RX......... enjoy your new drive. Neat write up dude!
How about some pics??
Old 8th February 2005, 16:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

I want to do a photo session with the car, but not getting an appointment yet Just kidding! Just that I am too busy with work this week, so plan to do it over the weekend :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks