Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 11:03   #1

Magnum LT is it a correct Choice?

This is my first post
I have been looking for a car in the price bracket of 10 to 15L's and my priorities are
  • Back Seat comfort (My father had a hip bone fracture so this is extremely important to me)
  • Safety (It's Bangalore after all however safe you drive your safety is still in the hands of other drivers)
  • Performance (I love driving be it SUV's or Sports cars or even good ol M800...)Maintenance Cost (Have been MUL loyalist so far)
My Experience:
  1. Safari: Very good car and I liked it, but was blacklisted as my father was unable to climb.
  2. Civic: Love it but looks like the car loves the speed breakers so much that it Kisses each one of them.
  3. Innova: Good car all liked but I don't want to be driving a Bus to office <This will be my last option>
  4. Cedia: After Civic this is the best car which I drove in India. How ever Back seat sucks I did ask the showroom people if I could change the seat they are yet to come back to me on this.
  5. Magnum LT: Thumbs up from my family, I like it but Cedia still haunts me (driving comfort is not that great as Cedia)
Finally I am thinking to go-ahead with Magnum LT (11.6 On road). Please give me suggestions if this is the correct choice?
  1. I will be driving 60Km a day in city
  2. 200Km during weekends
  3. I might visit my native once in 3 months roads in my native are un-tarred (remote place near Mangalore)
  4. How safe is this car ?
Old 19th April 2008, 13:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

check the thread with SUMP problem. Magnum LT has issues with damage from that.
Old 19th April 2008, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Optra is a great car. The ride quality is really very smooth. The back-seat comfort is unbeatable!!.

I suggest you take the Optra instead of Cedia because
1) Much higher resale value
2) It's a much more comfortable car. More spacious too. Cedia is more of a driver's car.
3) Optra Diesel engine has very high torque
4) Optra just eats away bumps. I drive at 30 kmph over a bump easily. The ride quality is unbelievable
5) My optra came fully loaded. Just check if the LT is fully loaded. I had paid 10l on the road (the petrol version)

Even after 2 years of use, this car is still one of my favorites. Looks great in black or white too!

Since we don't live in USA or EU, the handling technology difference between optra and cedia/civic is hardly noticeable.

For a daily driver, I prefer my Optra than the new C class. The spares are real cheap and the car is real VFM.

Here's my review -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...6-1000kms.html

Best of luck!.
Old 19th April 2008, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

optra magnum is the choice and is a good car.Diesel fuel is an added advantage of it over the cedia.Hope you are not a petrol head buddie.The resale also should be better as its diesel.one more substantial advantage is the low maintenance cost and the warranty GM is giving as standard.
ram
Old 19th April 2008, 16:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Been using a Magnum since last August. Overall, I'm satisfied. Plus, the PSi box will be out very soon!!!
Ride comfort over all roads is very good! Even on the slightly lower 55 profile tires I'm using these days. Its easy on the pocket too, 1st service bill was Rs. 14xx.
And, the wave of torque is addictive to say the least!
Since you have to travel over kaccha roads, do check the oil sump thread before deciding.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...sign-flaw.html
Old 19th April 2008, 17:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Back Seat comfort (My father had a hip bone fracture so this is extremely important to me)
Wouldn't climbing up be better than bending down for such a person? If I am correct, please take a TD of the Innova or the Safari. Otherwise, from the sedans you have provided, the Optra seems best. The Cedia & Civic has pretty low rear benches.
Old 19th April 2008, 17:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

I guess Magnum seems the Best option among the list. Its extremelly comfortable ! I guess GM is improving its *** and also its new plant is around the corner . If you could wait for a bit give a shot to the New Corolla else Optra Magnum it is!
Old 19th April 2008, 21:51   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions...

phamilyman: Thanks I had been closely monitoring the thread, My guess is that the person tried to go over the speed breaker at high speed (One of my friend did the same thing in his Honda City). Any way it is a point of concern as most of the speed breakers are not visible.

GTO: I shared the same view as yours and the first car I test drove was a Safari and my dad had tough time climbing it (Because he has to climb and bend), he said he felt like climbing a railway coach. I agree Innova is good but I hate the shape to the core.

Thanks a bunch everyone, I will be booking a Magnum soon. Need Advice on color
Black: Maintenance is a problem every scratch is clearly visible
Sparkling Diamond: They say it is 3 coat paint does that help ? (10K extra)

Just got a quote from Vijay Motors (JP Nagar, close to my home) 11.68L No discounts I will also check with Sundaram.
Old 20th April 2008, 15:00   #9
BHPian

Black is good.. My black looks stunning. Yes, scratches are bit of a problem but well worth the extra maintenance .
Old 20th April 2008, 22:01   #10
BHPian

Awesome choice. Best of luck and happy driving.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:51   #11
BHPian

mrvenka, I think Champagne color looks classy on the Optra. The Vijay motors guy (Ravi) told me he can give me insurance and no cash maintenance free if I take the 2007 model (they have quite a few of this remaining - one in almost every color). I had spoken/TDd it yesterday.

If you can drop in at their showroom, they have all colors on display - pick what you like best.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:05   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hi
just a suggestion
you might want to check out the Skoda Laura - superb car and extremely comfy and spacious as well as very very safe and tough. Or the Innova, since you will also appreciate the power and comfort of these new generation Clean Diesel engines.

My mum also had a hip fracture and she finds my Jeep type vehicles very comfy. Bolero, Scorpio and my sister's Innova. She had no problem climbing into these vehicles.
She went with my Dad and sat in the Skoda and found it pretty comfy. No problems in space or anything.
She does not find the C Class Mercedes comfy at all - tried sitting in my Brother In Law's car - finds it too low.
All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenka View Post
This is my first post
I have been looking for a car in the price bracket of 10 to 15L's and my priorities are
  • Back Seat comfort (My father had a hip bone fracture so this is extremely important to me)
  • Safety (It's Bangalore after all however safe you drive your safety is still in the hands of other drivers)
  • Performance (I love driving be it SUV's or Sports cars or even good ol M800...)Maintenance Cost (Have been MUL loyalist so far)
My Experience:
  1. Safari: Very good car and I liked it, but was blacklisted as my father was unable to climb.
  2. Civic: Love it but looks like the car loves the speed breakers so much that it Kisses each one of them.
  3. Innova: Good car all liked but I don't want to be driving a Bus to office <This will be my last option>
  4. Cedia: After Civic this is the best car which I drove in India. How ever Back seat sucks I did ask the showroom people if I could change the seat they are yet to come back to me on this.
  5. Magnum LT: Thumbs up from my family, I like it but Cedia still haunts me (driving comfort is not that great as Cedia)
Finally I am thinking to go-ahead with Magnum LT (11.6 On road). Please give me suggestions if this is the correct choice?
  1. I will be driving 60Km a day in city
  2. 200Km during weekends
  3. I might visit my native once in 3 months roads in my native are un-tarred (remote place near Mangalore)
  4. How safe is this car ?
Old 28th April 2008, 15:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Black is good to see.

Sparkling Diamond is better to manage.

...THough I would have chosen the Civic at that price range.

All the best and drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks