Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2008, 18:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Come on you guys, the Verva with that vague steering and sloppy handling is fun to drive?! The engine is a stonker, no doubt, but calling the Verna an enthusiasts machine is overshooting it by a mile.

Best sedan to drive within 8 lacs : The Fiesta 1.6. No two sides to it.
I second you GTO,there is no driving pleasure in verna except for the speed and acceleration/turbo-kick,and the handling is also not that great as compared to the accent(which is much much better than some cars),the interiors are little sad too.
Old 3rd May 2008, 20:54   #32
aks316

fiesta 1.6.. if you looking for a fun to drive car its ford fiesta 1.6 full stop no car comes close to it in the budget of 8 lakhs..

Old 3rd May 2008, 22:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well. THis are the cars i think you should surely take a test drive before deciding.

Petrols
1.Fusion 1.6 - If you like the unique design and dont mind Ford A.S.S
2.Fiesta 1.6 - If you dont like Fusion design but like the superb engine
3.Palio 1.6 - If you wanna save some money now and pay for your fuel charges. think its the best drivers car of the lot.

Diesels
1.Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - If you are looking at a drivers car with good F.E. I think this would be best in diesels.
2.Verna CRDi - if you want the boot and dont like the interiors of getz
3 Getz - if you are ok with those wood finish dash!!!
Old 3rd May 2008, 22:15   #34
Team-BHP Support

Fiesta 1.6 its lovely Otherwise get a swift diesel
Old 4th May 2008, 11:20   #35
BHPian

verna crdi without any question.go for it.
Old 5th May 2008, 00:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

When we talk fun to drive factor, we talk about the car's ability to make the driver a part of itself.

Hyundai getz and verna diesels while having an excellent engine dont make a much progress after that. Also they are priced badly.
Swift does have a nice linear delivery and good handling but the power steering makes road feedback vague. I would recommend it below 5 lacs.
Fiat palio 1.6 is a nice car with 100 horses on paper but my td made me questions self whether its really 100 horses. It sure is powerful but the old GTX and S10 were a stonker.

Ford Fiesta is a no compromise driver's car and is best at what it does but the platform has not been done well for India. The bonet lever is on the left side and the boot loading area is high. But does that matter when you control the 5 circles of Fun to Drive? I would not.

Go TD the cars and handle it your way at your risk. The one that glues you on the drivers seat for another round is the car you want.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 5th May 2008 at 00:56.
Old 5th May 2008, 00:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Verna is rubbish to drive. No driver involvement at all. I'd pick the Fiesta 1.6 or the Palio or if you can stretch your budget the Cedia.
Old 5th May 2008, 01:04   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Get yourself a used vRS.
Or an elantra crdi. Plus point is its diesel unit, comes loaded with safety features and you can drive at 150+ on highway and yet travel 600kms on a full tank.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th May 2008 at 01:05.
Old 6th May 2008, 14:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^Will be dirt cheap second hand as well... 5 lacs or less.
Old 6th May 2008, 14:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^Will be dirt cheap second hand as well... 5 lacs or less.

Also the after sales service by Hyundai is good. You need to check with Hyundai how long the spares will be available.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

Elantra Crdi is an excellent car but buying a used Crdi is not a good idea.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:11   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Elantra Crdi is an excellent car but buying a used Crdi is not a good idea.
Depends Prajesh. I know a friend (brraj) who got a brilliantly maintained elantra for 7L in Bangy. There are lots of well maintained elantra's in this side of the country. 2006+ models, run under 35k kms etc. Plus, I don't think any car comes loaded with safety features like this car does at that price. Imagine a car doing 200+ with AC on. And when you need to brake it will stop atleast 40% quicker than you would have imagined it to. Probably one of the best ABS units in the under 15L categ.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Or an elantra crdi. Plus point is its diesel unit, comes loaded with safety features .
When you say that it is loaded with safety features, I am assuming that the Elantra has atleast dual airbags and ABS ? If so, I wonder why Hyundai who set such a good beginning with safety features moved backwards with their latest offering (Verna), for which airbags is not at all available and ABS is only an option ? No takers for safety features ??? But with the SX4, the demand seems to be for the Zxi which has safety features.

Quote:
and you can drive at 150+ on highway and yet travel 600kms on a full tank.
Rahul, what is the fuel tank capacity of the Elantra ? Asking because for a supposedly 51L fuel tank, I get 600kms in the city itself with full a/c.

P.S.: I mentioned supposedly because there have been atleast 2 occasions when I filled the tank when it was close to Empty and it took in like 52litres. And this was only till auto-cutoff, which means it still would have taken a few litres more.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:57   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
When you say that it is loaded with safety features, I am assuming that the Elantra has atleast dual airbags and ABS ?
Take a look at all the safety features on the Elantra here. Yes, it came with airbags on drivers and passengers side.

Welcome to Hyundai Motor :: Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
If so, I wonder why Hyundai who set such a good beginning with safety features moved backwards with their latest offering (Verna), for which airbags is not at all available and ABS is only an option ? No takers for safety features ???
Answer is simple. The failure of the Elantra portrayed a image that Indians are not yet ready for ABS, airbags, EBD, TCS etc. Besides, its also to cut costs.

Quote:
Rahul, what is the fuel tank capacity of the Elantra ? Asking because for a supposedly 51L fuel tank, I get 600kms in the city itself with full a/c.
Its 55 ltrs. SB, do realize that I am talking about excellent FE inspite of pushing this beast with Pete's above the region of 150 kmph.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its 55 ltrs. SB, do realize that I am talking about excellent FE inspite of pushing this beast with Pete's above the region of 150 kmph.
Oh, OK. I assumed you were talking of stock Elantras.

BTW, from what you mention, the Elantra looks like a nice car for header's needs (to replace his Accent CRDi), but I guess the Elantra is no longer available new.

Most Viewed