Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2008, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Buying a Car in the 9 to 10 L (OTR) range

Hi, I am a new member here and have been devouring all the information that I can find on this site. Thanks to this forum, I now have much more of an informed view on cars! ( although it does get confusing at times). I have embarked on a perilous journey of buying a new car in Bangalore and enjoying the exhilirating feeling of "handling" new corners. The following are what I am looking for in a car (I have given points to each parameter on a scale of 1 to 10):
a) Good performance and reasonable FE(10/10) - I drive an average of 1000 kms a month(mostly city) - a highway trip 3 to 4 times a year. The car is self-driven.
b) Status value/Brand image(8/10)
c) Safety features (9/10)
d) Good interiors/ Good Cabin Insulation(8/10)
e) After Sales Service (9/10)
f) Overall low cost of ownership(8/10) - purchase price, maintenance & resale value - I plan to keep this car for at least 5 yrs.
After test drives of the various cars in this segment, here are my thoughts:
a) SX4 - Good muscular looks, high seat position gives a commanding view & feel, all safety features, good powerful engine
BUT - average interiors, noise in the cabin, rear middle seat is a problem

b) Verna Diesel - Good interiors, excellent diesel engine, lots of small features
BUT - No airbags, ABS w/o EBD, diesel engine makes noise at low gears

c) Chevy Aveo 1.6 LT(option pack)- Decent performance, very low noise in the cabin, all safety features , 3 yrs cashless service
BUT - vehicle feels a little small? what about A.S.S in Bangalore? what about resale value

d) Cedia Sports- nice looks, good performance, low noise in cabin, all safety features
BUT - resale value? A.S.S? ( is lathangi automobiles closing shop? can someone pls confirm?)

e) Honda City Vtec Plus - good performance in city, wow! interiors in the 10th anniversary edition, good FE
BUT - is this overpriced? what about A.S.S in bangalore? (Dakshin or Whitefield Honda- which is better?), plus this model is being phased out now??

so in my current state of mind, I have ruled out SX4 & Verna Diesel..am confused between the other three..I plan to take a decision in the next 3 to 4 weeks..would request your thoughts and suggestions
Old 20th May 2008, 19:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Cedia Sports , VTEC Plus, Verna CRDi SX
Old 20th May 2008, 19:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cedia Sports -> VTEC Plus these are excellant cars among 10 lack bracket. Since you plan to keep the car for 5 years don't worry about resale value. A.S.S in Bangalore is not a problem for any car!

Few service stations behavior is not good, the way you approach them and make them give best interest and attend to your promptly is important. In such case you get any service healthy. Thats how it should go now a days. So don't worry about A.s.S as long as you have confidence of making people get your job done.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:04   #4
LLL
BHPian

Check out Innova. Except the safety features (you wont get airbags and abs under 10L) and looks (other 3 cars in your list look better), Innova will excel in all other departments. Also it can seat more than 5 and is a good MUV. And you can drive it like a car.

Do check out bthirtankar's travelogue where he drove 2200 kms in his innova and only has praise for it.
Old 20th May 2008, 20:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would say go for -

VTEC - With Airbags, ABS - Excellent car to drive and priced around your budget.
Innova V Diesel - Best of both worlds, Comfortable, Safe & Economical to drive. Though around 11.5 I think

Both are tried, tested products and have excellent resale value and brand value, also have good FE.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Considering all your factors, looks like the Honda City ZX VTEC is what you need.

Except in the handling department, Honda has mileage, A.S.S, low cost of ownership (unless you have an accident), resale value, Brand image, interiors, safety features. Very very easy to drive in city, but that artificial feel is somewhat problematic on highways till you get used to it. Both of the dealers are equally good/bad !!!

SX4 - lacks in mileage, interiors (its like a swift or something lesser) and brand value. All other factors are good.

Cedia - The best when it comes to driving comfort and handling. However cost of ownership can be higher and resale value is very less. Get good discounts on it, plus it has all safety factors.

Innova is also a good buy provided you get used to its big size. Its actually so easy to drive. No airbags/ABS below 10 lakhs. Suffers from taxi/cab image.

Heart should say Cedia but logic would dictate Honda.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

I should think that Vtech should satisfy the parameters set by you. Honda reliability is well known.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would have rated Cedia higher than NHC VTEC but HM-Mitsu had two dealerships in Bangalore and the better one (Lathangi) moved to Ford. Apparently, there would be another dealership but till then a.s.s. remains an issue. Considering that is a higher priority for you (9/10), go with Vtec.

There is a talk about new model of Honda city being launched later this year. However in the past Hondas have held their resale so I don't see that being an issue.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:35   #9
BHPian

Hi thanks for your inputs so far..I also forgot to mention that I am nearly 6ft 3'' tall..so seat comfort is also something that is very relevant..I normally sit a bit upright..the seats in Cedia seems to recline backwards and could not be brought to a reasonably upright position..may be this is just my perception or some problem with with the test drive vehicle..
Old 20th May 2008, 21:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend the NHC VTEC or VTEC Plus. Satisfies all your parameters, as long as you are ok with the looks (many people are not, but that's subjective!). Good performance, FE, interiors & refinement are class leading, safety features are now included, A.S.S is good and Honda commands good brand respect and resale value. Fits the bill for you.

Was tempted to say Cedia, but HM's A.S.S leaves a lot to be desired. I have personally suffered at their hands so I guess I'm not too fond of them. Lovely car though.
Old 20th May 2008, 22:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honda VTEC anyday ! Its fits all your requirements. Yup this model will be phased out soon. But just hoping NNHC comes around Oct. Since you planning to book a car in few weeks i cant suggest you to wait for the NNHC.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:31   #12
BHPian

Your criteria matches more with NHC Vtec Plus.
If you do not have much of highway drive, go for NHC Vtec Plus. It is really good for short daily usage. Resale and A.S.S are much better than HM-Mistu.

Cedia scores more on highway drive rather than a regular city drive. And it scores him as per my experience.
Seat comfort is good on both cars. Cedia sitting posture is little different though. It is good once you get used to it.
Honda interiors are more pleasant looking, but I felt Mitsubishi is more genuine and rigid.

Lathangi has moved to Ford. It is a confirmed news.
I met all of the HM-Mistu officials (4 of them including Mr. Narayan, regional Manager south) at southern motors, Bangalore. Had a chat with them on all matters for 30min. They are very serious about finding a better dealer in Bangalore. As per them, they have lot of interested parties in hand, but want to be careful this time as they have plans to increase the manufacturing capacity and new models coming in this year.

I have considered both before buying my Cedia sports. Honda offered me pretty good discount and freebies through a contact at higher level. Still ruled out Honda City Vtec Plus for many reasons.
Old 21st May 2008, 14:42   #13
BHPian

thanks to all you guys..looks like some consesus emerging on NHC Vtec plus!..but why no-one has suggested the Aveo 1.6 LT(option pack)..can u tell me -ves vis-a-vis Honda?
Old 21st May 2008, 15:20   #14
VMG
BHPian

I am using Cedia sports for the last 7 months. No issues. it is a great car in all aspects.
If you are going to keep it for 5 years then resale is not an issue - go with Cedia. Take an extended warrany for 3rd year also.
Old 21st May 2008, 15:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
thanks to all you guys..looks like some consesus emerging on NHC Vtec plus!..but why no-one has suggested the Aveo 1.6 LT(option pack)..can u tell me -ves vis-a-vis Honda?
Yes, Aveo is a also a very good car, BUT comparing it with Honda Vtec will not be fair as the engine is more refined and has better FE.

Brand Image - Honda is better than Chevrolet. Resale is far better.

Most Viewed