Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 13:17   #46
BHPian

Just got to know from the Honda Dealer here that the Civic Hybrid will be launched in a couple of months, with a +20lk pricetag. Just not worth it, imho.

in a price of 20lk, if looking for self drive, then the Laura L&K variant would be the best choice, - Diesel, fantastic engine/power, the excellent DSG Auto Gearbox and a genuine mileage of 9-9.5kmpl to me, while revving the vehicle a fair bit. If my dad drives al lthe time, he gets around 9.5-10kmpl. In my hands, its down to 9kmpl

Rambono5, I have touched 185 km/hr in my laura, and then i was out of straight road.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 26th May 2008 at 13:20.
Old 27th May 2008, 02:12   #47
BHPian

Go for either the New Accord or the Passat . Both are wonderful cars . The passat might be a bit over your budget but worth considering for that German Engineering and DSG . Or if you want a SUV ,nothing comes close to CR-V .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambono5 View Post
Yup Ash_vtec. I quite like the Laura. But isn't it 110bhp or something like that? With a max speed of 170kmph? The real me would probably never exceed 160kmph. But the fictional character inside me wants to hit 200kmp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
I have touched 185 km/hr in my laura, and then i was out of straight road.
I 've done 200+kmph in my Laura at GN expressway . No probs at all . It seemed the car had in it to reach even
to 210kmph (max.)....
Old 27th May 2008, 03:37   #48
BHPian

Jus checked out the Passat today..not the car, but its catalog and pricing, and frankly, seeing the Passat, the LAURA L&K is very very very value for money. The only difference between an 18.5lk Laura L&K and the 28lk Passat DSG S line, is the Paddle shift and more legroom in the rear! trust me guys, Everything else is same! so its just 10lk for a lil more legroom, and paddle shift!

Paddle shift for me wud be of no use, as i hardly put my Laura in the Tiptronic mode. runs superb on the D mode, else max, S mode.
Old 27th May 2008, 07:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Jus checked out the Passat today..not the car, but its catalog and pricing, and frankly, seeing the Passat, the LAURA L&K is very very very value for money. The only difference between an 18.5lk Laura L&K and the 28lk Passat DSG S line, is the Paddle shift and more legroom in the rear! trust me guys, Everything else is same! so its just 10lk for a lil more legroom, and paddle shift!

Paddle shift for me wud be of no use, as i hardly put my Laura in the Tiptronic mode. runs superb on the D mode, else max, S mode.
The Jetta and the Laura share the A5 (PQ35) platform. Though the press say its going to be pitched against the Optra, City etc., it will be more against the Civic and the Laura. The Passat is based on the PQ46 which has a longer wheel base.. Your statement is akin to saying the difference between the Merc C and the E series is just legspace! A few inches makes a big difference!

Last edited by rangaraj : 27th May 2008 at 07:32.
Old 27th May 2008, 07:58   #50
BHPian

How about considering Nissan X-trail against CR-V?

-Vaspro
Old 27th May 2008, 10:35   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Im gonna add more confusion here. How about waiting for Civic Hybrid?? I guess it ll fall in that price range.
Not too keen on hybrids. Am one of those crude people who prefer green peas to greenpeace Wonder how many people in India will be willing to pay a premium for hybrids though.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:37   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Go for either the New Accord or the Passat . Both are wonderful cars . The passat might be a bit over your budget but worth considering for that German Engineering and DSG . Or if you want a SUV ,nothing comes close to CR-V .

I 've done 200+kmph in my Laura at GN expressway . No probs at all . It seemed the car had in it to reach even
to 210kmph (max.)....
Wow. That's interesting. I do like the Laura a lot because of all the gadgetry. I thought 107bhp won't be enough. Does it get to 200 fast?
Old 27th May 2008, 10:43   #53

Went to Dakshin Honda yesterday and had a look at the new Accord. They didn't have a car for a test drive. The car does look fantastic. But wood, wood and more wood. Anyway, they promised a test-drive within a week. Did try the CRV (2.4AT) though. I quite liked it. Although Lavelle Road and M.G. Road and not the ideal places to figure out if a car can go fast.

Anyway, plan to wait till I drive the accord too and then figure. Laura worries me because of the legendary Skoda sales & service. Pajero is out because I am a car guy (I see the CRV as a car with a high seating position). Thanks for all the suggestions though. Really useful. Keep em coming.
Old 29th May 2008, 01:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambono5 View Post
Wow. That's interesting. I do like the Laura a lot because of all the gadgetry. I thought 107bhp won't be enough. Does it get to 200 fast?
Yup , even i wasnt expecting her to reach to 200kmph , even some auto magazines claiming the top speed as 185kmph .
It reached there without any extra effort and it seemed it could go on even further ... It may be just 105bhp but you never feel any lack of power in any given situation ..
Old 29th May 2008, 08:43   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

laura reaches 120kmph in T20 mode. 160 in one-day-match mode. anything above you are talking test-match! for instance, its not as much fun to overtake a vehicle doing 140kmph with laura. but it brakes great and handles great at all speeds. i am not a fast driver so this is alright for me. better than a car that has more bhp than it can handle.

since you dont drive it yuorself most of the time, accord is a better choice. test drive laura l&k dsg though. it pampers the driver like no other car around that price.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
1. Octavia RS - you wanted rear seat comfort - not too much of that around in this car..
2. No hint of this coming
3. You will get pretty much all that you are asking for - back seat comfort (great), decent performance when you drive yourself. Decent interiors/features
4. Similar to the Accord - fast enough for Indian roads
5. Way above the couple of lacks over 20L.. Closer to 30L

Of the lot, you are better off with an accord..or the CRV if you want a SUV.

The Accord fits snugly into your quest . It has a good build , decent handling and great space as well . Quite refined gearbox as well and the Accord's 2.4 litre engine gives out some enormous power to drive you above the 200kph mark with ease . The CR-V can also fall into your slot if you want a SUV . But in my personal opinion it lacks that capability to make heads turn a bit . But nevertheless it is also very very well refined . So it is up to you . The new Accord has almost all the features like an USB suppporting HU and seat height adjustability and other cosmetics . It does come with that great style . Its up to you . Cheers . cheers:
Do post some pics of your ride after you buy it .
Old 29th May 2008, 19:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
laura reaches 120kmph in T20 mode. 160 in one-day-match mode. anything above you are talking test-match!
That is an outstanding analogy Smart statement, really smart.

Quote:
for instance, its not as much fun to overtake a vehicle doing 140kmph with laura.
Absolutely agree. The Laura feels very peppy until 120 - 130 kph, but runs out of steam thereafter. More horses would be great!
Old 29th May 2008, 19:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

A fellow Bhpian and a close friend(works with an automag) Just got back from test driving the new accord on the expressway. Gps driven 190kph. Odo show 210kph.
He's all praise for the new accord. Totally loves it even over the passat and camry. Rear seat comfort awesome. Ride quality awesome. Driving pleasure awesome. Says the car is overall a stunner.
I think look no further than the New Accord.
Old 29th May 2008, 19:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
A fellow Bhpian and a close friend(works with an automag) Just got back from test driving the new accord on the expressway. Gps driven 190kph. Odo show 210kph.
He's all praise for the new accord. Totally loves it even over the passat and camry. Rear seat comfort awesome. Ride quality awesome. Driving pleasure awesome. Says the car is overall a stunner.
I think look no further than the New Accord.

Look no further . The Honda Accord is the best package offered now . I think it wont be be discontinued soon . Since you are not worried about resale and FE you don't have to keep in mind these factors . Another thing in which Honda exceeds Skoda is the After Sales Support. Yes the Honda has many more dealerships than the Skoda . So absolutely no problem in spares. And expensive spare costs may also be a problem with the Skoda . But you can also consider the option of getting the new Civic and then spending the rest on modifying the exterior , ICE , Performance , Interior , Wheels , Tires , Alloys etc...

All the Best
Cheers
cheers:
Old 31st May 2008, 23:56   #60
BHPian

cheers: what an awesome post
after going through the entire post and facing the same problem.........
i'm settling with the new accord 08
but hey does anyone know how much is the wait for the delivery ?
i'm from mumbai.
also do tell me the best dealer for honda carz.

i hereby announce
that i'm settling for the accord guy
i owe you'll a ride in the car buddies........

Most Viewed