Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 10:14   #1

Optra Magmum need your views

Hey guys wierd_san here. i am a newbie and have a question for all the pundits and other owners.

Well i have almost purchased an Optra Magnum and i want to know

1. all owners what is ur general opinion on the car. has it matched upto ur expectations, on all parameters?

2. anybody having troubles what should i get myself mentally ready for?

3. What are the best after market alloys i shud go for? Shud i stick to the 15" or is it ok to put 16" on them.

4. Does the ride of the car get adversely affected by puttin 16" or is it a small price to pay for slighlty enhanced looks.

i hope u guys can give me some good pointers so that i dnt regret my decision later.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS / Slang language is not the preferred mode of communication on Team-BHP. We would much appreciate if you type your post out in clear and concise english for the benefit of other community members.

Thanks!

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th May 2008 at 17:00. Reason: Please post in proper english. write full words for Hav, havin shud etc.
Old 28th May 2008, 16:44   #2
BHPian

What amount are you getting the car for? Why didnt you go for Civic. 16" Alloys with Wider tyres will reduce your FE and Increase handling of your car. Best after market alloys there are many in today's world Some one else will guide you better.

What Tyres and Rims you getting with the car by default?

Last edited by somebodystopme : 28th May 2008 at 16:46.
Old 28th May 2008, 17:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Weird_San, do check your language before you post. Refrain from sms/chat language.

Coming back to topic, Optra Magnum is popular only for its massive power. Other than that, it never stood out for anything else. Someone i know said it was a boring car to drive and selected a Cedia over it.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:00   #4
BHPian

1. I'aint a owner, but based on reviews, its a decent car on mileage, image, ride quality, Anamalai's should provide you a decent A.$.$, however the resale might be poor
2. read about a fuel pump that's suspended too low, which gets (easily - not sure?) damaged in our road conditions
3. Go with Aura, its safe and reliable... stick to 15" it would be an upsize from stock 14" and would be the best of handling and comfort
4. yes 16" would really break your ride

Its a definitely a nice car to own.
Old 29th May 2008, 16:43   #5

sorry about the language

well everyone at home is pretty happy with the car, and it seemed like a good buy, we wanted a good car and were not too worried about the re-sale.

the car

price in coimbatore: 11,30,000 [ but we got about 10,000 discount]

the stock tyres: 195/60 with 15" alloys

yes we were considering the Civic but we do around 2500+kms a month so we prefer the economy of a diesel.

well my uncle informed me that changing the alloys can seriously affect the insurance and warranty incase of a fault, he is a lawyer and told me has handled enough cases where minor details like an alloys change, mind you not an upsize or anything just changing from the company alloys can give the company loopholes to wiggle out of insurance claims incase of minor troubles.

so now i am confused about an alloy change
Old 29th May 2008, 17:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wierd_san, stick to 15". 16" would spoil the Magnum's major USP, the ride. The LT comes with alloys. I know that they look extremely horrible but I'm sticking with those. Get some decent tires and you are set.
Have had the Magnum since August last year. Haven't faced any major problems. The engine is very good and returns decent economy. Ride is also very good.
Old 29th May 2008, 17:38   #7
BHPian

nice car!

Rode in a Magnum for the first time recently (back seat). Fantastic interiors and ride! Loved the rear seats!

Elito
Old 29th May 2008, 22:04   #8
BHPian

Good smooth engine with huuuuuuggeee turbo lag. Value for money car. Not of top quality like japanese.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Wierd_san, stick to 15". 16" would spoil the Magnum's major USP, the ride. The LT comes with alloys. I know that they look extremely horrible but I'm sticking with those. Get some decent tires and you are set.
Have had the Magnum since August last year. Haven't faced any major problems. The engine is very good and returns decent economy. Ride is also very good.
Hi Shuvd,
Since you have owned the magnum for over 7 months now , pls give a fair review of the car across parameters ( Ride , handling , Mileage & engine Noise ) . Also w.r.t. the Oil Sump issue - read in one of the threads that the oil sump is easily damaged at bumps as it does not have adequate covering . How true is that .Thx
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:06   #10

just took the car to conoor and my review is it is fantastic. power is fabulous, the lag is only evident if the engine is not kept in the right r.p.m, as long as the ehgine is revved right my god nothing can catch up with it.

the drive both up and down was real fun, my uncle in his civic was having a tough time keeping up in the ghat section, although in the plains the gap was not that much. the ground clearance helped in areas where there was no road and the handling although not brilliant was nothing that i could complain.

the interiors were good nice supportive seats and the new auto-ac was very good.

i definetely will recommend the car to anyone if they can swallow the looks and the chevy badge.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Congrats Wierd-San

You have made a fantastic choice, I myself own one and seriously saying this is the best VFM product

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks