Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 09:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Finalising Verna CRDi Base Variant w/o ABS - Your opinions ?

Hi Friends,

Finally sold my 5 year old Santro Xing at 57000 km's for 1.8 Lacs. Will give a detailed report in another thread later on.

I am left with a 3 year old Accent GLE in excellent condition which the women ( Mom, Wifey, Sis ) in the house will probably drive now.

I was initially taking an i10 for the ladies and finalised it ( at 4 Lacs OTR ). Then heard of Petrol prices shooting up and thought that I should have at least 1 diesel with me so have the best of both worlds. Started off with Swift Diesel but 5.63 Lacs OTR for a VDi was hard to digest for a car that rattled and without a boot ( No Offense Swift Owners ) My cars are driven hard and the Swift would have given away on the roads of Agra.

The only other Diesel if I extended my budget by 2 Lacs was the Verna. I have always been a Hyundai Lover owning 6 Hyundai's since its launch in India. So here we are - going for a Hyundai Again.

I am getting the Verna Base Diesel ( w/o ABS ) for the following Amount from Gurgaon -

Ex - 7,55,240
Ins - 22,000 ( APP )
RTO - 15,347

Discounts - 20k Dealer + 10k Loyalty

Total OTR after Discounts - 7,62,587 ( Give or take a few hundreds )

Freebies -

Carpet Matting & Mudflaps
Autocop / Cobra Remote Locking

What do you think of the deal ?? Is it a good one ?

Also any thing I should know about the Verna Diesel. I am buying a diesel for the first time and that is why the long desicion taking time.

Ishan has been really helpful in making my desicion Including getting fatter rubber / Alloys the day I pick my car. I do not see that possible considering I would have Nil in my Bank Account after the purchase.

Please feel free to appreciate / critisize my desicion.

I need to pay 10k to the dealer today as prices are going up by 4% from 1st June so have to finalise today.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:10   #2
BHPian

If the prices are going up tomorrow, you tend to loose your ability negotiate any further. But I guess you can get them to throw in the sun-film as well. I have test-driven Verna diesel and I feel its a great choice, especially since you are also an Hyundai loyalist.
How much more would you have to pay for ABS option. Its a powerful vehicle, I'd prefer to have ABS on all my cars.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:37   #3
BHPian

Why don't you go in for ABS Kochar? It's just about 24k costlier. It's a one time purchase and remember you get 4 disc brakes to boot with.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree that Verna base version is a better choice than Swift VDI considering the price difference.

I would recommend ABS+ all disc as it is required to tame the beast. It depends on whether you would be using the car extensively on highway and your driving style.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, It does make sense to take ABS but ABS Variant is ordered usually and takes around 3 weeks to come. Also Gurgaon dealer does not have a White Base Verna Diesel with ABS as of today. Prices go up by 30k almost after 1st June.

So I thought better to opt for a Verna without ABS.

I drive pretty decently, do not exceed speeds of 120. So I feel it's going to be Ok.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the ABS version too, for the safety if offers. Verna CRDI is a good choice.
If budget is the constraint, then why don't you consider the Getz CRDI (since you had Swift in mind earlier)? This too does not have ABS, but is as peppy as the Verna and a couple of lakhs cheaper. My neighbour bought one for 6.4 lacs last week in Hyderabad.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:53   #7
BHPian

No. You maynot be driving at higher speeds but strange situation might rarely force you. Verna at "higher" speeds doesnt brake well. It becomes difficult to bring to a clean neat stop at above 100kmph. Go for ABS.

Last edited by pingping : 30th May 2008 at 11:02.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice of colour for Verna. It looks hot in white. Does the door handles and outer rear view mirrors come in white in the base version?

I think you can manage without ABS+all discs.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well, It does make sense to take ABS but ABS Variant is ordered usually and takes around 3 weeks to come. Also Gurgaon dealer does not have a White Base Verna Diesel with ABS as of today. Prices go up by 30k almost after 1st June.

So I thought better to opt for a Verna without ABS.

I drive pretty decently, do not exceed speeds of 120. So I feel it's going to be Ok.
VK, I do understand that you're in a hurry in order to beat the price rise but life does not give you two chances! I am sure that you will find some dealer who will have the ABS Verna in stock or in transit. Even if they don't I am sure they can get it for you. 120 is fast enough to warrant ABS. We also need to remember that its not necessary that an accident will always happen due to your fault. There are plenty of idiots and maniacs on Indian roads to warranty life saving technology in our cars!

I would suggest you to hold your horses and request you to go in for the ABS. Who knows, tomorrow you will regret not having it!
Old 30th May 2008, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

My friend is there right now checking the car out as I am in Agra. Will check on the ABS variant and see if they have one in stock.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:52   #11
BHPian

Hey VKochar,

I would request you to wait if possible[3 weeks] and get the Verna with ABS as i have the Verna with ABS and with the recent rains in bangalore, feeling very happy for opted for ABS.

Regards,
Sajan
Old 30th May 2008, 15:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good decision Varun! See if you can get the ABS version otherwise take what you get. remember after the price hike a with ABS version is going to be more expensive by 54k!
Old 30th May 2008, 15:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

ABS it is yaar.

With great power, comes great responsiblity.
Old 30th May 2008, 15:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even i would say go in with ABS. It can be a real life saver. Better to be safe than sorry for 24k.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:33   #15
BHPian

Varun, you mentioned that you need to deposit some money with the dealer to beat the price rise. So wouldn't the same be applicable for the ABS version? Deposit the money, maybe raise the deposit amount and insist on the ABS at the old price! If the dealer can do it for the non-ABS version, then why won't he do it for the one with ABS?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks