Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 11:40   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

agree with you;
Laura - turbo lag in second gear is noticeable.
But on counts of "presence", FE, comfort, quality, snugness and features, the Laura is absolutely lovely and far outpaces the Cedia or Corolla or any other.
Not really fair to compare between Endeavour and Laura - apples and oranges.
Endeavour is wonderful but still has the old leaf springs at the back which cuts its desirability a bit, IMO. PLus too big to drive around and park in city.
A colleague of mine is facing the same dilemma and having sat with him on his test drive of Laura and Endeavour, we have all unanimously voted for Laura - but this is to do with his usage patterns - mostly in city commutes, with him or his chauffeur driving. Also the issue of parking in Bangalore these days was a reason for the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The Cedia is better built than the Corolla. But again the build quality is no way close to what one gets from VW. Laura is a bit sluggish the little that I've experienced it. The PD engine in it is way too old and underpowered. Other than that its completely loaded with goodies.

Cedia on the other hand, though a tad underpowered on paper compared to a Civic or Corolla doesn't feel so at all because of the excellent midrange torque from the engine. Its essentially a driver's car... the driving dynamics are spot on and is a much better buy in case you love driving. Also it only comes in petrol.

In terms of interior space and comfort, I'd really not be able to choose between the two. The laura of course has much better interior quality and plastics.

If you want a petrol skoda, why don't you look at the Octavia Rider 1.8T? Yup its old but the engine is still a bomb.

If you want fuel economy, get the Laura or Octy or the Optra Magnum Diesel.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
agree with you;
Laura - turbo lag in second gear is noticeable.
But on counts of "presence", FE, comfort, quality, snugness and features, the Laura is absolutely lovely and far outpaces the Cedia or Corolla or any other.
I'd agree to all of it other than comfort. The legroom in the rear seat of the Laura is quite cramped and the driving position ain't as good as the Cedia either. Infact my knee constantly kept hitting the front console.
Old 3rd June 2008, 12:21   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

im not sure
i m 6.2 in height and sat in the back (behind passenger seat) with another colleague sitting in that passenger seat (he is 5.10 in height). I found it pretty comfy in the rear.
When I drove for a bit, I had not pushed the driver seat entirely back because the skoda dealer chap was sitting behind me but I was only one notch away from the seat being completely back. In this position I found the driving comfort pretty good. Only one irritant was the floor mat was slightly tangled up with the pedals so I had to clear that up.
otherwise personally I found the skoda laura perfect as a car. Expensive car though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I'd agree to all of it other than comfort. The legroom in the rear seat of the Laura is quite cramped and the driving position ain't as good as the Cedia either. Infact my knee constantly kept hitting the front console.
Old 4th June 2008, 01:16   #19
BHPian

Cedia is a better car than Laura. The features are better in Laura but the basic car is an older technology.

Endeavour vs Cedia is a usaage question. This you have to answer yourself.
Old 4th June 2008, 07:49   #20
rippergeo

endeavour 2.5 is what I drive around, when my bro is abroad.

Pros
exterior Size
street presence
surprisingly quick(I also drive a verna and a pete'd swift)so believe me, the endeavour is quick.
ground clearance- you can park it in ditches if you want
the car feels solid- the driver will break before the car does
powerslides!!!!!!(the joys of a RWD)
nice engine- will lug like a train from idle all the way to 3500-4000rpm
engine -sounds very relaxed at 120kmph and has plenty of torque left for a passing maneuver at 120 above.
Diesel!!!!! 10-13kmpl mixed conditions with AC on all the time.

Cons
leaf springs-passengers find it unpleasant(very)
its a pain in the city.
Ford A S S is not the best(in cochin atleast)
bigger car to wash

the 3.0 litre endy should be even better than the 2.5 than I use.

Old 4th June 2008, 09:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Isn't it the other way around?

Again, I think it is the other way. Skoda Octavia is old and so on
@redfire: I dont know what I was thinking...Two typos in one sentence.. Thanks for correcting me. What I meant to say was.
1. If one is considering diesel, Cedia is out. Its a petrol car, and pretty hungry one at that.
2. Skoda Octavia is now outdated.
Old 4th June 2008, 16:49   #22
BHPian

well though cedia is the best driver's car i would still vote for Laura. Laura is in a league of its own and the turbo lag and pickup can be improved after installing petes.
A friend of mine drives a manual laura and is pretty happy with its highway performance and handling. He's now planning to install petes and green filter.

since you already own two sedans so its logical that u buy something which is notches higher than your current ones and cedia might not be able to provide that.

Go get the laura.

cheers.
Old 4th June 2008, 18:01   #23
BHPian

Laura..

Go for a Skoda Laura.. It has that classic style and also presence..

There are 3 Laura's in our office parking. Every time i look at one, i dream about the day i will buy one. Cant wait but my boss simpy refuses to give me 400% hike..
Orion_80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2008, 14:59   #24
BHPian

I have heard Laura has quite some issues If you are not lucky with the car you get. Best Bet will be Cedia VFM(If petrol) or Optra Diesel. Because You have a family to save money for. Show off wont last forever.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Cedia for the 'driving experience'

Laura for the 'presence, driving experience, luxury feel'

Tata Safari 2.2VTT VX for 'presence, space, diesel, Highway cruising & lording over the other cars around'

Innova for 'space, highway rides, diesel motor, good build'

A higher end option would be the Chevy Captiva.
Old 5th June 2008, 19:59   #26
BHPian

Endeavour = a glorified ambulance
Cedia = don't have an opinion about it.
Laura = go for it. Note that I drive an Octy and am biased about Skoda.
Old 5th June 2008, 22:38   #27
BHPian

Pooshnark, why dont you try the Magnum, even though its a segment less its feature & power packed.You could also add some bling wheels and fancy ICE for the $$$ left.
Old 6th June 2008, 03:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Magnum would be great on the highway and its powerful. Rear seat comfomt is among the best. It will not handle as good as the Cedia but I suggest you yourself take a test drive and decide.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:49   #29
BHPian

Compare the 2 cars Laura & Cedia on power as well as price and decide for yourself:

All variants of Laura: 105 PS @ 4000rpm
All variants of Cedia: 115 PS @ 5250rpm

Laura: 15 - 19 lacs
Cedia: 9 - 10.5 lacs

Numbers speak for themselves, I would say never to Laura. I am also trying to find out on this forum what is so snobbish about Laura

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks