Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 18:32   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
... Anything over 8 lakhs is not good imho as car is nearly 3 years old next month (years calculated based on year of purchase not month). Secondaly for 8.5 lakh the ANHC becomes an interesting proposition since its brand new.
Not sure which car you are talking about here...A stock ANHC AT costs about 10.8 lacs on road in Bangalore. Considering that I have to spend another 50k for some basic stuff such as alloys and ICE, it simply is overpriced for me.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Sounds very good deal to me, provided you know the owner and this going abroad is not a story to sell the car

Always inspect the car and take it with 'As is where is' assumption - you own the full risk/reward...
Along with the car papers, I will also inspect his passport, visa status and assignment/offer letter to confirm that he is traveling

In fact I really dont mind even if its his story to sell the car, as long as the car is in good condition and no bad records. Carwale gives me a price of around 12 lacs for this car. Do you think there is still room for negotiation?
Old 27th November 2008, 18:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Jeez, a brand new Sonata Embera with Leather AT option is cheaper than the Civic V AT

In the preowned car market, you get many choices, there is a 15k run 2007 Sonata Embera Leather AT up for sale in carwale.com quoting 10 lakhs, I'm sure you can haggle hard to bring it to 9.xx lakhs... Now, that's what I call a steal! If you are inclined on a Civic, there are plenty listed on Carwale.com. A pre-owned Civic beyond 10 lakhs is never VFM! And I say this again, preowned is VFM for a 3+ year old car....!
You say that a used car is VFM only if its 3+ yrs old and then say a 2007 Sonata is a steal at 10 lacs, without even knowing its condition. We all know that Sonatas and Optras depreciate very fast and are typically quite bad in resale price compared to Hondas and Toyotas. I had one of my colleague selling his 15 month old 17k km Optra LT at 6.5 lacs some time back after almost 3 months of trying.

Not sure why do you say pre-owned cars are VFM only after 3 years. Usually its in the first year the depreciation happens the fastest, in this case about 20% in just about 7 months. Depreciation will be much slower in subsequent years while the overall value keeps reducing due to more running, service/spare needs etc. If its about the cost of funds, its another story. Assume I am going for cash purchase.

Last edited by appuchan : 27th November 2008 at 19:04.
Old 27th November 2008, 19:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
A new Civic 1.8V AT costs 15.8 lacs on road as on Oct '08 in Bangalore. As per the recent news of price hike, this may go up soon by another 10-25k.

I thought if I can get a car which is run only 3000 kms and 6 months old in excellent condition for a discount of Rs 3-4 lacs, its not so bad. The owner is going abroad on long term and wants to sell the car asap.
Appu, not bad at all. Your options are limied in the AT range at that price. This is a good buy I feel. If you are happy with it, go with your gut feel, put some money down on it, take some pics and post em here.

Quote:
Jeez, a brand new Sonata Embera with Leather AT option is cheaper than the Civic V AT
Not a fair comparison as a Japanese Honda's resale value is always going to be higher than a Korean Hyundai
Old 27th November 2008, 22:17   #20
BHPian

Civic's a gr8 car as long as you drive only on nice smooth roads.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Not a fair comparison as a Japanese Honda's resale value is always going to be higher than a Korean Hyundai
Agree not a fair comparison - on resale yes, but a Sonata is in a completely next segment altogether, if you arent selling the car for the next 10 years, why worry about resale? But sensible to buy only as pre-owned!

Sonata, Optras, Octavia Petrol's deperciate real quick and that's what makes them VFM in the preowned market. Honda and Toyota typically retain strong resale value's and hence may not be a good buy within the first 3 years. The Sonata quoted was just an example, its clearly one underrated car

Yes, its different story when you are putting the cash upfront, buying used makes sense! But haggle hard, Honda is struggling to sell the Civic after the Altis arrived. Current economy also not helping!

All the best and keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
You say that a used car is VFM only if its 3+ yrs old and then say a 2007 Sonata is a steal at 10 lacs, without even knowing its condition. We all know that Sonatas and Optras depreciate very fast and are typically quite bad in resale price compared to Hondas and Toyotas. I had one of my colleague selling his 15 month old 17k km Optra LT at 6.5 lacs some time back after almost 3 months of trying.

Not sure why do you say pre-owned cars are VFM only after 3 years. Usually its in the first year the depreciation happens the fastest, in this case about 20% in just about 7 months. Depreciation will be much slower in subsequent years while the overall value keeps reducing due to more running, service/spare needs etc. If its about the cost of funds, its another story. Assume I am going for cash purchase.

Last edited by AirWind : 28th November 2008 at 09:59.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, its different story when you are putting the cash upfront, buying used makes sense! But haggle hard, Honda is struggling to sell the Civic after the Altis arrived. Current economy also not helping!

All the best and keep us posted!
I was trying to see if I can negotiate with Honda for a new Civic considering the competition from Altis and even their own ANHC. They were not a bit flexible and in fact they even "threatened" that the prices will be up by another 25k for the top 1.8V model pretty soon...

The only benefit they will give is 12k, corporate discount. That makes 15.8 lacs to 15.68 lacs. Big deal...
Old 28th November 2008, 11:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Civic's a gr8 car as long as you drive only on nice smooth roads.
That way we are very lucky here in Bangalore, we all feel like we are "driving in the moon"... .

In fact I strongly feel that somebody from Bangalore should be selected for the next manned mission to the moon. He will not have any issues moving around there, even on a Civic, and will happily go honk...honk swearing at thin air/vacuum...
Old 28th November 2008, 20:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree not a fair comparison - on resale yes, but a Sonata is in a completely next segment altogether, if you arent selling the car for the next 10 years, why worry about resale? But sensible to buy only as pre-owned!

Sonata, Optras, Octavia Petrol's deperciate real quick and that's what makes them VFM in the preowned market. Honda and Toyota typically retain strong resale value's and hence may not be a good buy within the first 3 years. The Sonata quoted was just an example, its clearly one underrated car
Agreed - you just called the other side of the same coin.
I also bought a highly underrated rated car second hand and I'm loving it.

Appu, whats the latest, whats going through your mind now?

Most Viewed