Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2008, 06:09   #1
BHPian

What Car & Bike (thinking of Dzire & Bullet)?

Hi all

As many of you know I have joined the faculty of IIT-KGP although I am back in the US for the sale of our home. It maybe that I have to buy a motorcycle initially when I return in the beginning of July to get me around campus. I am not sure how long is the wait for a Maruti Swift or Swift-Dezire - but, I would like to test drive them before buying. I would like a Bullet, but, I have never driven a motor-bike ! That in itself could be a challenges although I love the bullet.

So, a couple of questions from the wise people here:

1. Should I even bother about getting a motor bike and if so, would getting something less expensive than a new Bullet and lighter would be better for me?
2. If I do decide to get a motorbike, would you suggest that I purchase a helmet from here in the US and bring it with me. Only problem with this is that I would have to put it into the shipment that I am sending by container and that could take 2 months to reach! Defeats the purpose of getting a motorbike soon in the first place!

Mods: I am not sure in which thread to post this - please move it if needed - my apologies.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 12th June 2008, 16:57   #2
BHPian

Get a helmet from USA because in India there are very few options available for a good quality helmets.
Old 13th June 2008, 21:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
2. If I do decide to get a motorbike, would you suggest that I purchase a helmet from here in the US and bring it with me.
Reminded me of Raju Srivastava's joke,"Helmet hai, par bike nahi...challan bharna parega." Sorry for going OT, couldn't help it.
Old 13th June 2008, 21:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

IMO, get the helmet here itself. No pointin waiting for so long for a helmet. And till that time, even if you buy your 2 wheeler, you may no be able to use it outside the campus. As far as the Swift Dzire goes, you wil be welcomed to the waiting periods of 6 to 8 months for diesel vehicle and for 3 months for petrol vehicles.
Old 14th June 2008, 01:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Boss,

Don't know about KGP, but I would fly into Delhi/Kol and then catch an onward train. We have friends in both places (Delhi I can personally refer/guide you, kolkata has many mad xbhpians) so you can get gear everywhere. Cramster Gear Co.: Stuff more than enough! - India's first premium bike luggage - Saddlebags, Tankbags and more... and Dream Sporting Gear - India's First Online Store for Motorcycle Riders are your guides. KJ (of cramster fame) is known to be very helpful in guiding prospective customers select gear appropriately, so you can call. delhi has showroom for both - donno of kol. AGV helmets should be easy, no sweat there.

As for bikes, what I'd say is the Karizma. Because you're new and you want a hasslefree yet FUN/quick bike.

Why not:
a. Bullet. Because its a bullet, and you're new to 2 wheels
b. Pulsars. Because they are unrefined (I own a P180 that's done 34k in 22 months!) and because its a Bajaj.
c. Unicorn. Because while its fantastic/silky smooth - when there's a Karizma, nothing else will do.

In cars, since you mentioned dog, what about innova junta originally suggested? You can have babies in this country quicker than you can own dZire! 8+ months waiting is par for the course!
Old 14th June 2008, 09:55   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys. Looks like a long booking time for the DZire. What about the Maruti Swift hatchback?

How much is the Karizma motorbike? I just need commuting wheels - or I have to get a bicycle - life of a new lowly paid Prof !!!!

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 14th June 2008, 12:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Why not:
a. Bullet. Because its a bullet, and you're new to 2 wheels
I concur, Bullet needs lot of getting used to. You need to understand its quirks and requirements.

If you are looking for a bike for quick transportation, then look elsewhere. There are many choices availble now.

Btw, I own a Bullet500 for more than 4 years and i wont ride any other bike in my life (it happens after you get used to it ;-)

Thanks
-Vaspro
Old 14th June 2008, 12:35   #8
BHPian

About the bike, I would recommend you to decide on which type of bike you want. Sporty, or Regular or cruiser type. Then Test ride the bikes, at least sit on them. Only then decide which one you want, as defferent types of seating geometry means my holy grail can be your poison.

If you want a regular type of bike, you can choose between a bullet, Unicorn ( Really sweet engine/gearbox). Sporty bike means you can choose between Pulsar 200/220 ( Both really good bikes from bajaj stable), Karizma good package ( But the panels smell of cheap plastics, the only drawback.) Soon to be launched Yamaha R15, ( On Papers this is a stonker), In the cruiser segment your choices are Bajaj Avenger 200 and Bullet.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 14th June 2008 at 12:41.
Old 14th June 2008, 23:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

A Bullet is a bullet is a bullet

Nattusbs

If you love the bullet, I doubt if you will like any other bike, because there are no other bikes like the Bullet in India (or is it the world?). But, IMO, the Bullet is a bit too much (weight, refinement, ease of operation) for a first-timer. They will cost you a packet upfront, and a lot of time and effort on maintenance (though maintenaining a Bullet is not really expensive AFAIK).

As for other bikes, my advice is that you look at the 150 cc plus segment only. Everything below 125 cc seems to be on its way out in some time, and you will want something better in a year if you go for a small-capacity bike now (assuming you love riding). But that segment has bikes ranging from Rs 55k to Rs 100k.

BAJAJ
Pulsar(s) 180, 200, 220 (and the next ones if and when launched) can only be serviced by a "Probiking" service center as of today. Ditto for Avenger (my colleague faces lots of trouble getting it serviced). Make sure Kharagpur has a probiking SC nearby.
Pulsar 150 Good combination of economy, style, power and price. But lacks serious highway grunt and a bit dated now.

HERO HONDA
Karizma Fun, Quick, great for long distances and now cheaper! F E is the only concern.
CBZ X-treme Karizma on a budget with much better F E!
Hunk Pulsar 150 beater from HH. I hate its looks (personal).

HONDA
Unicorn Super-refined, super smooth 150 cc and the only one with a very relaxed and tall gearing.

TVS
Apache RTR Good street racer

YAMAHA
R15 Looks great on paper. Launched yesterday, so too early. Perhaps it could affect all the bikes mentioned in this list, but largely the Karizma, Pulsar 200, Pulsar 220 because of Rs 95k + price tag. Do check it out though.

For the car, enough has been said and written out here. Enjoy the research! . That's also a memorable part of the buying experience.
Old 15th June 2008, 09:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Boss,

Yammie is fantastic +1. However, i'd wait an year for support to grow in KGP. In the meanwhile, KZMA will keep you happy for years to come. Reliable, trusted and FUN.

I mean, it may cost 2 rs/km versus 1.5 for pulsars. but peace of mind (it stays smooth/vibe free all through) esp with a decent service center is immense. ofc, only issue is sourcing parts IFF you have a decent accident. But then, that's a very low probability event.
Old 15th June 2008, 10:22   #11
BHPian

Thanks all for the comments, suggestions and advice. One of my very old friends (going back 40 years!!!!) bought a used Bullet Electra in Mumbai and loves it. That is what I am leaning to - even though I may be a newbie, being an engineer and good mechanically that is what I would like. After all, I am going to buy a m'bike only one, so why not go for the one that I would like? I am not into showing off, or anything like that - I just love the stately presence of a Bullet and need wheels to get around campus.

This same friend also told me that I should get a helmet from Calif and he advised that I should get a couple of extra visors since these can get scratches very easily in Indian conditions that can lead to vision difficulty. Another fiend of mine in Calif who also is a m'bike person for many years said that I should get a white helmet since it reflects the sun. Sounds wise to me.

Now, on the other hand, if the booking & receiving time for the Maruti Swift hatchback is not a problem (like on the spot), then I may just go with that.

Please keep the suggestions coming

Thanks

Nattusbs
Old 15th June 2008, 12:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Swift is 20-30 days most places sirrrr!! and its not really fit for your dog, if I recall right.

oh well, wheels around campus is what bull will do just fine - and make you a hit with the students

As for helmets?
a. Color doesnt really matter. You're not planning 500km-a-day rides, are you?
b. Indian helmets are just fine. Studds Bravo should be your choice. 800 bucks, Scratch resistant visor, replacement is 150.
c. However, if you want slightly better quality - AGV should do the job for you(1900-2100). Like I said, kol boys can help. There's GP1 (bad visors in an uber helmet), GPR (Motocross Prof!!), Index et al. PM thebagchi

Getting things from the US ain't a bright idea - plus in checked in luggage/transport it can be dropped/mishandled thus defeating the purpose!
Old 15th June 2008, 13:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
After all, I am going to buy a m'bike only one, so why not go for the one that I would like? I am not into showing off, or anything like that - I just love the stately presence of a Bullet and need wheels to get around campus.
I told you, if you like the Bullet, then nothing else will do (borrowed that from the Scorpio ad-line). I can already see that happenning. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh well, wheels around campus is what bull will do just fine - and make you a hit with the students
That will be great, you will be the coolest prof on the campus.

Trust phamilyman on his biking knowledge, he has almost done the entire length and breadth of the country on his caliber and pulsar. AGV, Arai and other good helmets are available. I use Steelbird Bieffe because I don't take my bike out of town usually. It also has a good availability of visors.

Very rare chance of getting any car "on the spot". Even rarer, the chance of getting your model, your variant, your colour all together off the shelf. If you are single or without kids, the Swift should do for you. Mind the wait periods, especially for diesel.

If you want a sedan, decide your priorities (and your budget). Then we can help you choose!
Old 16th June 2008, 20:10   #14
BHPian

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. I am going to expand my search a little more even though my German Shepard is and will be with my parents in Hyd. I will need a lot of time at IIT to make an "excellent" first impression,especially with teaching, research, writing proposals for research money - he is very happy with my parents and their other dogs and they love him - Mom is in fact very attached to him and does not want to give him back to me !!:

1. Innova - good - but, for a single guy - too much.
2. Scorpio - Have been seeing the glowing comments by Shankar Balan - will have a look at it. Btw, what about the Scorpio Getaway? Has anyone test driven or does anyone own that? It seems nice to me!
3. What is the difference between SX4 and the new Dzire - they appear to be in the same market segment from Maruti! Maybe, I am missing something. SX4 does not have diesel option I think.
4. Will TD Sumo Grande - although I do not need 3rd row seats - can they be taken out?
5.Don't know if Ford dealer is in KGP - I do not think there is Toyota dealer either. One of my Prof colleagues told me to stay with Indian companies in KGP - Maruti, Tata or Mahindra. The Scorpio is looking more and more macho and impressive.
6. Re: Bikes - I hear the message of avoiding the Bullet for now as I am a beginner. So, would it be possible to get a used or new Karizma? If I get one at a good price (which is?), I may go with this for the beginning commuting on campus and for eat-outs - is there a website that I can get some pricing info?

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 16th June 2008, 22:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda Unicorn is the perfect bike for you.

All other bikes mentioned are road racer type jazzed up bikes that your students probably ride. Go for Karizma if you want to do a lot if hi speed touring on highways, but otherwise Uni is best for pottering around campus. Bullet is something you can graduate you after riding for a year and understanding the road conditions in India and making friends with a good mechanic. Buying a used bike in India is a hassle because the meters are always clocked..buy only if you know the previous owner.

For a car,what is your budget? I'd say go for a Scorpio if it fits and get the 3rd row removed. Its easy to drive, stylish and macho. I recall you had started a thread about a dog friendly car. Swift is going to be waay too cramped (its cramped for humans)

Last edited by Mpower : 17th June 2008 at 02:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks