Team-BHP - Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Things I need to specifically look for in a 1st-gen Honda City Vtec (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/40992-things-i-need-specifically-look-1st-gen-honda-city-vtec.html)

Hello.
Im pretty well versed with what too look out for while picking up a used motor car, but this time im picking up a 2003 ohc Vtec.
Would love to know WHAT exactly should i look for while inspecting it(from all of you who'v had the ohc vtec for a while)
the one in question has done bout 70K kms.
Since 70K is on the higher side, what parts on the vtec are more prone to failure?

thank you.
Cheers.

Please see this thread >
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...max-speed.html

And also search for more vtec reviews in the "Long term reviews" section. Here is one from there > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...d-52000km.html

cya
R

thanks Rehaan, that did'nt pop up when i hit the search bar. *Sharpens searching skills*
thanks again
cheers

Ok lemme quip in since I have recently taken a 2001 Vtec.

Suspension - is a problem area, surprisingly mine didnt have. (probably already overhauled/changed by previous owner)

Exhaust mounting - replacement

Steering rack - replacement.

Window rattling.

Rear View Mirror adjustment motors had some problem - they were not working properly.

Some sensor failure - forgot which one - this seems to be perpetual problem with OHC.

Squeaking clutch, extremely hard on foot.

I think engine and transmission is pretty good even after 65K km. Thats what I felt and service center guys also said.

The door panels are made of plastic, and handle of one door came out - check for cracks in that plastic.

Suspension.That was an issue in a couple of OHCs i drove(was window shopping for one then). But then again which 5 year old car wouldn't have it.

Hi when you are picking up a VTEC please not these points.

1. Check is there is any major engine alteration done.

2. If the seller has installed headers check for the mounting it.

3. Check for the headlight and the tail light (the cost for them is very expensive).

4. Also check for the gearbox and clutch.

5. Try to get the service history of the car also check where the car was maintained and also get in touch with the modifier who has worked on the car and get the inputs on what all has been done and need to be done (because he would have some plans in his mind what he was trying to get from the car).

6. Check for the rubbers and the plastics in the car, if they need a replacement get it done immediately.

7. Check for the under chasses condition (because it’s very low and if the person who was driving has not taken car of the car then you will see a world map outline under the chasses.

8. Check if there is any oil leak and even check for the AC condition.

I was searching for a VTEC in Bangalore for about 10 months and I had seen about 20 car’s in that only 3 were good and I own one of them and the other 2 were not at all driven one had done about just 20,000 Kms but the person who own it was bit cranky. But Ajmat’s car was good and it was crystal clear in maintains of the car. He had installed good after market equipments, also my car was maintained by the showroom guys and Ajmat has give me all the bill’s from the day one. Also if there was any issue with the car he has told it clearly to me and also referred to some best place where I can get it fixed.

Even I am getting very good after purchase support from Ajmat.:)

hey all, thank you for the inputs.
I extensively test drove the car today (bout 20 kms) out of which, most of the acceleration was with bout 70-100% throttle.
*sigh* iv hardly ever been so disappointed. It was'nt the fraction of the boy toy i'd expected it to be (or prolly it was because i was expecting too much) but still.

I did Rev limit the 1st 2 gears very often (the limiter comes in at 7500ish?)
i suspect the clutch was a bit worn...slipped a bit in 1st. Lost performance there i guess.
Also, the steering felt slightly heavier than expected. The owner said it was due to the low ps fluid level. (allright)
guess the lack of performance (or so i believe there was a lack of) was due to clogged injectors or a badly clogged air filter(and the worn clutch)

Otherwise, all the electricals worked perfectly.(including the ORVMs) no real prominent squels or thuds any where, altho the ride was'nt all that good.

any more inputs are welcome.
Cheers

And one more thing, the car is COMPLETELY stock. Thats a good thing i guess.

I did Rev limit the 1st 2 gears very often (the limiter comes in at 7500ish?)
i suspect the clutch was a bit worn...slipped a bit in 1st. Lost performance there i guess.
Also, the steering felt slightly heavier than expected. The owner said it was due to the low ps fluid level.

@Rice_tuner
Till today I am not able to find a straight road (in Bangalore either there are speed breakers or some other obstacle:)) where I can put my car to limit and check on the Rev limit, the more I peddle to metal the car keeps going and the Rev limit has not broken.

Regarding the clutch it’s a pretty expensive in Honda and if you think the steering is hard its best to get it checked, because is the PS pump has some issue then you will be charged a real bomb… even the staring bar’s are pretty expensive.

New cluthc is around 9.5K
The steering rack replacement would be around 12K