Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 00:12   #1
BHPian

Buying My First Car - Possibly Logan

Hi,

I am probably a rare species in tbhp forums given that today was my 6th day at driving school ! Of course , the research on choosing my first car started long back and as of now the Logan 1.4 GLX looks good to me ! My daily driving would be around 15-20kms , maybe a long trip of 1000km a month - which rules out diesel cars , i prefer sedans over hatchbacks and cannot afford a SUV right now .. this along with a budget of <6L leaves me with the Logan and the Indigo (cant wait 5-6mths for the DZire). I quite like the looks of the Logan and think my preferred color black looks good on it ! Of course the interiors are a bit spartan but i accept the VFM argument.. i am a sucker for space although im single but am 6'4" !
The Logan website lists these differences between the GLX and the GLS models :
1) Lumbar support ( no clue what it is)
2) Theater dimming lights/glove box light
3) CD player ( I would prefer my own choice of ICE given that im a music freak !)
4) Driver's seat height adjuster ( I'd probably leave at its lowest height anyways to get max headroom)
5) rear defogger
6) remote door locking
7) ashtrays
8) Silver finish louvres bezels etc.
9) front fog lamps with clear lens
10) body colored door handles/side view mirrors
11) driver airbag
12) keyless entry
13) computer ( averages, miles to empty etc)
14) door open warning light

the price difference between the GLX 1.4 and the GLS 1.6 is ~55k. Now out of all the features listed above, the ones i really care for and plan to get is the ICE and the ashtrays - will have them installed aftermarket. The combined cost in my opinion would come out to be a lot less than 55k - the remaining i plan to spend on customizing my car - alloys, spoilers, possibly a GPS device , seat covers and maybe customized interior painting and side skirts some time later . [I want my dashboard to light up like a fighter jet's cockpit so maybe ill overhaul the dashboard too!].
Given my priorities [driver seat comfort,fuel efficiency, overall VFM] and the above thoughts - if any of you can think of a reason why i shouldn't get a Logan - speak now or forever hold your piece !
Old 19th June 2008, 00:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi ZBlue

Two months ago, I did check out the Logan 1.4 Petrol as one variant (lowest but one, GLE?) was exactly for Rs 5 lakhs OTR, same as Palio Multijet. But the petrol-diesel choice changed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlue View Post
1) Lumbar support ( no clue what it is)
AFAIK, Lumbar Support is for your lower back, where a pad (?) or cushion (?) within the seat can be adjusted to give you more support. It's a boon on longer drives.

The Airbags (pity there's only one for the driver) and the Seat Height Adjuster are important. The Rear defogger is useful in specific conditions.

All the others differences you mention are more about sheer convenience than comfort / safety. It's a matter of personal choice.

But, here's the most important thing:

Quote:
the price difference between the GLX 1.4 and the GLS 1.6 is ~55k.
You mention the price difference between 1.4 GLX and a 1.6 GLS. Apart from the features, doesn't the difference in the size of the engine bother you? I know you are just learning driving, but if you are more inclined towards performance than economy, would you not go for the 1.6 anyways. (For a clue, refer to the way you ride your bike, if you do. This will help you decide which way you lean, performance or economy). Maybe it doesn't make a difference now, but I am sure it will make a difference in a year or two.

It's too early for a really long term review (I am talking of 50,000 kms or more here) but I suppose M&M service is decent in big cities, and esp. the NCR. My only grouse against the Logan was the Interior ergonomics. Despite having more dated interiors, I found the Palio ergonomics better. Otherwise, I couldn't find any serious shortcoming with the car during my research. Looks are a subjective issue. I find the Logan's overall proportions decent. Just a facelift with a better light / grilles / tail-lights / bumpers could make it look great. But then would it be VFM anymore?
Old 19th June 2008, 00:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

It will be better for you to purchase the 1.6
Looks a much better deal.
Old 19th June 2008, 01:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
You mention the price difference between 1.4 GLX and a 1.6 GLS. Apart from the features, doesn't the difference in the size of the engine bother you? I know you are just learning driving, but if you are more inclined towards performance than economy, would you not go for the 1.6 anyways. (For a clue, refer to the way you ride your bike, if you do. This will help you decide which way you lean, performance or economy). Maybe it doesn't make a difference now, but I am sure it will make a difference in a year or two.
Between performance and economy - i'd choose the latter , and hence the choice of the 1.4 engine. ultimately its a question of comparing the additional features for me.. thanks for the inputs though.

[PS - i dont have a bike either. my experience of driving motorized vehicles is limited to BMW's and lamborghinis.. on NFS !]
Old 19th June 2008, 11:00   #5
BHPian

Hey have you checked out Aveo? Thrs a good discount and zero maintenance scheme going from GM. I think after all consideration it can just lie within your budget. I have recently booked one. Although in my research I didnt consider Logan, so I really cant compare it but I found Aveo another VFM proposition in its segment. Aveo is also good on comfort, decent mileage i believe, good interiors. remember 1398 cc engine here provides 94bhp and 127NM torque.

Btw if you are going for 1.6 then I guess you should hurry up before hike in excise duty result in increase in their ex-showroom price.

PS: I just did my 8th day at driving school here.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hey have you checked out Aveo?
The tbhp Aveo test drive report says taller drivers had a problem with their knees hitting the dash.. I'd probably qualify as tall at 6'4" .. but the aveo has nice interiors !
Old 19th June 2008, 12:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tbhp Aveo test drive report says taller drivers had a problem with their knees hitting the dash.. I'd probably qualify as tall at 6'4" .. but the aveo has nice interiors !
I would say that you should TD one yourself to see your comfort and then decide. Just give a try...
Old 19th June 2008, 12:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

ZBlue, try out the Aveo and the Ford Fiesta 1.4.Both would fall within your budget. While the Aveo has good interiors, the Fiesta is more entertaining to drive.
Old 19th June 2008, 12:11   #9
BANNED

Hey, I'm quiet impressed by the way you post. Nice and very open way to explain things from your viewpoint. Keep it up.

Coming to the car, If you have test driven the vehicle and you feel it's comfortable and satisfies your needs, please go ahead and get it. But don't just test drive one car, go around and have a TD of all the cars in your budget. This way, you won't have any regrets later and will be very happy with your choice.
Old 19th June 2008, 17:45   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am probably a rare species in tbhp forums given that today was my 6th day at driving school !
Welcome to the team, Zblue. All of us were amateurs at one time; I would actually envy you since the initial days of driving / car ownership have unparalleled excitement. Please do spend some time searching through our archives. There is a wealth of information available onboard.

The Logan 1.4 would make for a good first car. Its got just the right amount of power for a newbie driver, so you can spend your time focussing on the cars behaviour, traffic chemistry, road rules etc. However, on Team-BHP, we insist that you evaluate all other options too. Please do take a test drive of the Logans competitors and keep us posted on your observations.

More than anything, do drive safe. Cheers!
Old 19th June 2008, 20:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Zblue's budget is under 6L (is it OTR??)

What is the OTR of Logan GLX (their website on price is on updation)??

AFAIK, the Ex-showroom price of Aveo 1.4 is more than 6L (6.4 to 6.7).
Even the Fiest Ex-showroom price is above 6L.

How about including Ford 1.3 and Accent GLE in the list?

@all,
how are the pedals compared to indigo/indica. I find my indica pedals are hard unlike Verna's (just for comparison).

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 19th June 2008 at 20:19.
Old 19th June 2008, 20:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

In your budget the sedans available will be Logan and Indigo. You can consider either of the two. TD both the vehicles and then decide. logan might be VFM. But Indigo will have much of the freebies to offer. Do consider this also.
Old 19th June 2008, 23:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Logan is okay but boss, please think of what our friend architect says (some of that 55k is towards 15k extra excise - arghh). He has many valid points.

Do also think of the accent petrol in that case. It'll do you decent service for a couple of years - though its rear seat is bloody murder compared to the logan. logan's interiors are tacky any which way you look at it. And that seat while comfy needs some foam implants asap

/am a radio cab user min twice a week so I speak from experience
//Please consider the UVA. it rocks superbly. Trumps logan most ways
/// Means both are as sluggish! :(

Last edited by phamilyman : 19th June 2008 at 23:55.
Old 20th June 2008, 23:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

No doubt that Logan makes for great buy. And the deal on Logan looks attractive. But also consider Aveo and Fiesta 1.4. I read about your concern of knees hitting dashborad, but take a TD and then finalize. Indigo can aslo give you good deals.
Old 21st June 2008, 22:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
ZBlue, try out the Aveo and the Ford Fiesta 1.4.Both would fall within your budget. While the Aveo has good interiors, the Fiesta is more entertaining to drive.
Both the aveo and the fiesta are out of my budget..

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Coming to the car, If you have test driven the vehicle and you feel it's comfortable and satisfies your needs, please go ahead and get it. But don't just test drive one car, go around and have a TD of all the cars in your budget. This way, you won't have any regrets later and will be very happy with your choice.
can't test drive yet.. don't have a license

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
How about including Ford 1.3 and Accent GLE in the list?
Both of these seem to have slightly cramped interiors [at least as seen from outside].. also i'm not sure about the future prospects of these models after the advent of the fiesta and the verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
In your budget the sedans available will be Logan and Indigo. You can consider either of the two. TD both the vehicles and then decide. logan might be VFM. But Indigo will have much of the freebies to offer. Do consider this also.
could you tell me abt the indigo freebies ? i did consider the indigo XL classic petrol at one point of time but then one night i had a dream abt a jet black logan with some collective soul playing on the deck !

thanks for the comments everybody ! will keep posting.

Most Viewed