Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 16:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The Fiesta is better low down as are most ford engines however it starts feeling unrefined quite soon.

Haven't driven the Fiesta S which I hear has stiffer springs. The older one had quite a lot of body roll. Also do be aware that the stock Cedia rubber is terrible both for ride quality and handling. With better rubber, both improve quite substantially.
I beg to disagree on the engine coarseness part and the body roll. The engine sounds very refined, and in very high revs emits a sporty sound which could in no way be called coarse. I love to hear that sound!
Body roll is not as much as projected, and the Fiesta hugs the road even at high speeds. I can't comment on the Cedia though, as I've never driven it. The lighter weight of the Fiesta with its 1.6 engine more than matches the higher engine capacity of the Cedia on account of the weight factor.

As regards rubber, the stock MRFs on the Fiesta also suck.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The older Fiesta 1.6 has body roll?

Haven't felt it yet
Its not as much as a Honda or a Hyundai but its still there. The Cedia rolls a lot as well .
Old 11th September 2008, 17:13   #48
BHPian

My Ikon doesnt roll at 140+ Km/Hr. Not much, atleast I havent felt it! So I guess Fiesta should do only better!
Old 11th September 2008, 19:57   #49
BHPian

Hi Car’zy,
I used IKON for 5 years and was looking for a perfect upgrade – I tried the Fiesta amongst others, but it was well short of expectations. While they have added few features, they have compromised some others too. See my post (Ford Fiesta TD) – I am not repeating all my comments here, but overall I do not think it is better than the IKON. In fact I did a second TD also.

All my TD were in different parts of ORR, but more importantly I insist on taking thru some of by-lanes, bumpy portions, sharp U-turns, reversing etc. - all in search of the perfect upgrade.

You can find more of how I chose the perfect upgrade in post here. So there goes my recomendation.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:15   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I beg to disagree on the engine coarseness part and the body roll. The engine sounds very refined, and in very high revs emits a sporty sound which could in no way be called coarse. I love to hear that sound!
I second that; the Fiesta 1.6 is a very revv-happy motor and doesn't really feel coarse @ high rpms. Not as refined as say a Honda motor, but not one you'd term as unrefined either.
Old 28th September 2008, 14:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The older Fiesta 1.6 has body roll?

Haven't felt it yet
Done 20K kms on my Fiesta type 1 , 1.6petrol.
Done all the ghats sections in Karnataka... dint feel any body roll watsoever..!! Wat r u talking bout.. Do u own one??
Old 28th September 2008, 18:21   #52
BHPian

Car'zy, if you can wait a month or two it might be worth it to have a test-drive of the latest version of the Honda City. 118PS certainly makes it quite a tempting choice, and I think its also within your budget. Its also quite a looker (but budget 50K for bigger wheels and tyres).
Old 29th September 2008, 12:19   #53
BHPian

Well, I have booked a Fiesta Sport after promises from thier sales that they will return the amonut if i withdrew, do they?

The all New Honda City is a prospect as well and Im waiting to test drive it before I decide. The Cedia Sports is going to be re launched in a months time with a lot of changes, which I hear are non-cosmetic as well!
Old 30th September 2008, 14:15   #54
BHPian

I bought Fiesta 1.6S 3 weeks ago - aquarius color.

I had a tussle between SX4 and Fiesta (City was beyond my budget). Two things went against SX4

- my office mechanical parking cannot accomodate SX4 by a whisker
- Interior finishing of SX4

I had been driving Santro automatic for 6 years but switching to geared Fiesta 1.6S was a breeze. Awesome car. Love the music system and steering feel. Very responsive. Gears were smooth.

There is hardly anything that I dont like. Except for reverse location for indicator and wiper. Little engine drone at lower speeds for a short while.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:42   #55
BHPian

I purchased Fiesta 1.6 Sports about 3 weeks back.

The choice for me was SX4 or Fiesta (needed airbags so verna was ruled out, City was beyond my budget, Aveo somehow I did not like it). Why Fiesta?

- No discount on SX4, rubbish interiors and my office mechnical parking is a few mm smaller for SX4.

Fiesta is sports (in aquarius blue) is gorgeous looking (outside and inside), competitively priced, super driving comforts.

Mind you, I have been driving Santro Automatic for 6 years but switching to geared car was quite easy with my Fiesta.
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:27   #56
BHPian

running cost - i read somewhere in this forum that if the monthly run exceeds 1200 kms then it is advisable to go for diesel vehicle. considering your case, diesel engine is ideal, IMO.(no need to regret later, in case if u need to travel more than what u have planned now).
regarding the vehicle if u are looking for VFM, verna comes first among all. and if it is aesthetics what u r looking for then cedia beats everything. (dont know much about its interor, performance, maintenance, etc but collectively from others opinion)... in between comes the city and fiesta.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Note to folks recommending a verna or optra - someone in this forum said this - "Straight line cr@p! Corners is where it matters. Even a brick can go fast if you throw it fast enough. Can it turn?"
A recent autocar had results from a "mega test" at the Chennai track. Some timings and quotes below -

Swift P - 2.25.00 - "Fun hatchback that grips well"
Palio 1.6 - 2.24:60 - "Strong engine, suspension too tall"
SX4 - 2:20:05 - "Strong performer, but high stance spoils dynamics"
Cedia - 2:19:95 - "Soft suspension, cant carry speed into corners"
Civic - 2:17:95 - "Great Engine, but suspension not perfect"
Fiesta 1.6S - 2:17:50 - "The best driver's car in its class"

And to put these into perspective -
CRV 2.4 - 2:16:30 - "Big surprise, drives better than many cars"
Skoda RS - 2:15:30 - "Performance, handling, fun factor"

As Narain Karthikeyan and ROC said, pick the one which can corner, which of course is the Fiesta S.

Or if you want a bit of economy as well, pick the Optra Magnum. Except on track, it will be faster than any car mentioned above. Or who knows, it might even be faster on track as well?
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:23   #58
BHPian

fiesta S is my choice when u compare it with cedia.though i dunno much about cedia but i am rarely seeing any lancer/cedia on road nowadays
Old 9th October 2008, 10:58   #59
BHPian

With the Cedia Facelift, actually a let down and the price at ~11.5 OTR bangalore for the Spirit which is the only variant, it pretty much looses out to the Fiesta is terms of what it offers for the money.

Fiesta 1.6 S is clearly in front on the VFM front when compared to Cedia.
Old 9th October 2008, 18:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car'zy View Post
The Cedia Sports is going to be re launched in a months time with a lot of changes, which I hear are non-cosmetic as well!
How sure are you on this?
Can you confirm on the NON COSMETIC changes as well. who gave you this information as I am also looking for a Cedia Sports.

My recent test drive with Fiesta S was good but my heart is still with the Cedia.

Most Viewed