Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 11:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Not at all bumpy. Very firm and very pliant ride. I've sat in one for a good amount of time from Mumbai to Bangalore. That includes sitting in the front, the rear and the boot as well. I like the ride.
The RS that I test drove when buying my car felt quite bumpy when going over potholes. I'd definitely say the ride is on the harsher side.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

My best friend's RS had a breakdown two weeks back. Diagnosis, broken Timing Belt, mileage done 60+k kms. At the last service he was told by the authorised service centre (Continental) that they'll replace the belt at the next service.

As a result the car now needs a head job & the estimate given by Continental is around 1.20L
Old 20th August 2008, 16:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The RS that I test drove when buying my car felt quite bumpy when going over potholes. I'd definitely say the ride is on the harsher side.
If I am not mistaken, the RS comes with low profile tyres and stiffer suspension set up which will naturally result in relatively stiffer ride
Old 20th August 2008, 17:00   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
My best friend's RS had a breakdown two weeks back. Diagnosis, broken Timing Belt, mileage done 60+k kms. At the last service he was told by the authorised service centre (Continental) that they'll replace the belt at the next service.

As a result the car now needs a head job & the estimate given by Continental is around 1.20L

Guys stop scaring me. I guess most skodas need a timing belt change after 60k kms. I would look for something which has run between 25k to 45k kms(hopefully lesser).
Old 20th August 2008, 21:12   #80
Team-BHP Support

60K is pushing it, I would change it at 40 K, considering the torque generated

Similarly, my VTEC belt was changed at 48k even though the dealer said 100k was sufficient
Old 20th August 2008, 21:35   #81
BHPian

I have never driven an RS but honestly with all the Skoda A S S horror stories floating around one should wonder if its worth it. Somehow I think I would be just as happy buying a used 2004 Honda Accord 2.4L MT for around the same price.

It packs quite a punch and great for long drives. Can anyone tell me why an Accord shouldn't be a worthy alternative to the RS??
Old 20th August 2008, 22:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
60K is pushing it, I would change it at 40 K, considering the torque generated

Similarly, my VTEC belt was changed at 48k even though the dealer said 100k was sufficient

How much damage would the timing belt cause on the wallet?
Old 21st August 2008, 13:53   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If I am not mistaken, the RS comes with low profile tyres and stiffer suspension set up which will naturally result in relatively stiffer ride
Lower profile rubber on 16 inchers, yes. But AFAIK, the suspension setup is identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Can anyone tell me why an Accord shouldn't be a worthy alternative to the RS??
The Accord has its strengths; larger cabin, cheaper upkeep and better ride. The RS, on the other hand, is infinitely better to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
I don't remember the exact number, but I was quoted somewhere between 4 - 6K by an authorised service center.
Old 21st August 2008, 14:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
You still haven't bought a RS & you have started to worry about the cost of timing belt.

Relax. Bide your time & you will get what you want.
Old 21st August 2008, 14:01   #85
BHPian

Still looking out for an RS but cannot find any.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lower profile rubber on 16 inchers, yes. But AFAIK, the suspension setup is identical.
Are you sure? Ride height and ground clearence are slightly different. Spring ratings may be different too.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:30   #87
BHPian

Skoda oweners beware!! You need to spend Rs 17000/- for timing belt job including labour. This is applicable for all models of octavia. Timing belt alone costs 3xxx only. But you need to change tensioner, roller, pulley with belt change. Incase of RS, you MUST change water pump too at the 60K interval. It costs another Rs.8000. In case of diesel model water pump change is optional. So I didn't change water pump.

I have changed alternator belt and tensioner too in the 60K service. It costs another Rs 7000/-
Old 24th August 2008, 22:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh75 View Post
Skoda owners beware!! You need to spend Rs 17000/- for timing belt job including labour. This is applicable for all models of octavia. Timing belt alone costs 3xxx only. But you need to change tensioner, roller, pulley with belt change. Incase of RS, you MUST change water pump too at the 60K interval. It costs another Rs.8000. In case of diesel model water pump change is optional. So I didn't change water pump.

I have changed alternator belt and tensioner too in the 60K service. It costs another Rs 7000/-
Lol!! Looks like this should be a documented page in the Skoda User Manual!! Beware of Skoda!!

@GTO : I have never driven an RS......but I really thought of the Accord as a much better all-rounder. Then again looks like RedSfx wants a car which sets his pants on fire and not an all rounder.

Good luck hunting for one RedSfx. Will let you know if I come across any.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:52   #89
BHPian

If it is such a bad deal then why am I not able to find any RSs in the market?
Old 24th August 2008, 23:53   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Lol!! Looks like this should be a documented page in the Skoda User Manual!! Beware of Skoda!!

@GTO : I have never driven an RS......but I really thought of the Accord as a much better all-rounder. Then again looks like RedSfx wants a car which sets his pants on fire and not an all rounder.

Good luck hunting for one RedSfx. Will let you know if I come across any.

@flip: Dude I only fell in love with the RS after driving it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks