Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 04:14   #1
BHPian

Verna CRDi or i30 CRDi ?

Hello Mates,
I was planning to buy Verna CRDi. Now there are few issues with the handling of verna at high speeds. Also, Hatchback will always be easy to drive in City Conditions and on Highways too.

i30 Coming to India soon, I had read the specifications for i30 on U.K website.
1.4 Petrol
107.5 HP @ 6200 rpm
Top Speed: 187 kmph

1.6 Petrol:
124 HP @ 6300 rpm
Top Speed: 192 kmph

1.6 CRDi:
113.4 HP @ 4000 rpm
Top Speed: 188 kmph

2.0 CRDi:
138.1 HP @ 3800 rpm
Top Speed: 205 kmph

Seriosly, i'm planning to buy i30 with 2.0L CRDi block. Should i wait for i30? Does anyone know about its launch date?

2.0L CRDi block with Pete's will really suit my pocket. lol hope they wont launch it for 8-9 lakh bucks.

What do you say guys?
Old 7th July 2008, 09:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

I dont think i30 will be hitting our roads anytime soon. I dont see it before Mid 2009. Hyundai will be concentrating on launch of i20 , then i10 diesel & automatic. I think the following engine will be plonked in Elantra ( as per your specs)

2.0 CRDi:
138.1 HP @ 3800 rpm
Top Speed: 205 kmph

The 1.6 Crdi should be awesome in the i30.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

They just started selling the Getz with the CRDi. The new Elantra will cost 10lac plus.

Why not Pete your Elantra?
Old 7th July 2008, 10:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is such a hypothetical comparison. Are you even seriously looking to buy a car? I have yet to see a guy deciding btw two cars of which one is not even released and there are no short term plans for the release either... (no offence meant, but I am just amazed at this comparison).

On top of that the engine spec of the UK cars doesnt neccesarily apply to India. In India most manf barring few only give one engine option for Petrol and one for Diesel. So even thinking that we will get a 2.0 CRDI for sure at this juncture is speculation at its best.

This thread is meaningless at this stage. Its comparing a car with something thats not launched, whose engine specs (one that will be launched in India) are not currently known...

Sorry if this sounds candid, but this thread really needed a REALITY CHECK!!!
Old 7th July 2008, 11:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Soon according to Hyundai can translate into more than 2 years. That is what I learnt by waiting endlessly for Getz CRDi, finally I went for a Getz Petrol.

I would recommend you to buy Verna/ Getz CRDI. If you can wait for a very long time consider i30.

I doubt whether Hyundai will bring 2.0 ltr engine to the price/ mileage conscious indian market. Most probably they will bring 1.6.
Old 7th July 2008, 19:26   #6
BHPian

thanx for the kind reply guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
They just started selling the Getz with the CRDi. The new Elantra will cost 10lac plus.

Why not Pete your Elantra?
Hehe..!! My big Brother drives Elantra most of the time.
Elantra will be petified by next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
This is such a hypothetical comparison. Are you even seriously looking to buy a car? I have yet to see a guy deciding btw two cars of which one is not even released and there are no short term plans for the release either... (no offence meant, but I am just amazed at this comparison).

On top of that the engine spec of the UK cars doesnt neccesarily apply to India. In India most manf barring few only give one engine option for Petrol and one for Diesel. So even thinking that we will get a 2.0 CRDI for sure at this juncture is speculation at its best.

This thread is meaningless at this stage. Its comparing a car with something thats not launched, whose engine specs (one that will be launched in India) are not currently known...

Sorry if this sounds candid, but this thread really needed a REALITY CHECK!!!
Na..!! Getz Coming in 1.5 CRDi. They can plonk 1.5 CRDi or 1.6 CRDi in i30 hatchback. Hyundai don't have plans for Getz CRDi with ABS. So, i dropped the idea for it. I wanted to have the car with awesome power with good handling and good built. Hyundai do have strong built for sure. My past experience with my both the hyundai cars. Verna with 9 lakh bucks. Hatchbacks are easy to drive in the cities though i'm a fast driver. So, a hatchback with VGT engine plonked in will do the trick. That's why i asked i30 or Verna? i30 is worth to wait? or Hyundai will do the same job as they did in getz crdi? But "i" batch i10 i20 i30. After the success of i10, they will be heading for i20 in the month of nov. and i30 to follow next. It's 50-50% chance because of the brand name "i" in i30, it can be a success. You know Janta "Bhed Chaal". This "i" batch will make hyundai to think seriously about i30 too. wht do you say mate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Soon according to Hyundai can translate into more than 2 years. That is what I learnt by waiting endlessly for Getz CRDi, finally I went for a Getz Petrol.

I would recommend you to buy Verna/ Getz CRDI. If you can wait for a very long time consider i30.

I doubt whether Hyundai will bring 2.0 ltr engine to the price/ mileage conscious indian market. Most probably they will bring 1.6.
yup you are right, they wont bring 2.0 ltr engine. But i seriously don't predict what they will do. Like they brought a nightmare surprize Verna's engine and turbo in Getz. Nobody knew about it that Getz Crdi will have such powerful engine. But yes, 2.0 Ltr engine, damn taxes by Indian Govt. Idiots stops companies to launch their cars at good price. You are right they will bring 1.5L crdi or 1.6L crdi VGT for sure.
I found i30 to be much hotter than Getz. So, i can wait till 2009, if it worths.
Old 7th July 2008, 23:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Gangsta:

I dont think that i30 will be on the Indian roads soon. First, I think they will be bringing the sedan here.

Its better to go in for Getz CRDi as you are keen on hatch and dont like the handling of Verna. However, if you want you can wait for i20. i20 will be mostly available with the 1.5 110bhp diesel engine.
Old 8th July 2008, 00:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

well i was just lurking around the showroom today, i wanted to see if i30 is going to be here any time soon but, nope its not going to be here soon enough.

even i am waiting eagerly for same, hoping it to be a good replacement for the accent crdi. Some how my gut says by the time i would want to sell my viva this car would be here! hehe.

well go with the verna with abs you wont regret that decision, trust me that beast with 100+ horses needs ABS for sure! and just imagine if verna with stock wheels is powerful then the smaller hatch will need a lot of rubber to handle it!
Old 8th July 2008, 01:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

The i30 will come as a hatch
with a 1.4 petrol and a 1.6Crdi
( thats what i read in one magazine)
its better not to wait for the i30 as no news is coming about its launch!
Old 9th July 2008, 10:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, There are no issues of Verna's handling at high speed. It is a good car and you can without a doubt go ahead and buy it. Plonk a pete's and it's one crazy & Mad ride !!

Secondly, the i30 is nowhere near launch in India. Let them come out with the i20 first. And no way expect a 2.0 CRDi engine in i30. The Verna's engine will be doing duty in most Hyundai cars due for Launch the next 2 years at least.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Firstly, There are no issues of Verna's handling at high speed. It is a good car and you can without a doubt go ahead and buy it. Plonk a pete's and it's one crazy & Mad ride !!

Secondly, the i30 is nowhere near launch in India. Let them come out with the i20 first. And no way expect a 2.0 CRDi engine in i30. The Verna's engine will be doing duty in most Hyundai cars due for Launch the next 2 years at least.
Have to agree with vkochar the new vernas with ABS and all round disc brakes are sporty drivers dream.

The i30 is nowhere in eyesight for atleast the next one to two years as everybody is very thrilled with the CRDi 2L VGT Engine that comes with the Verna or the GETZ CRDi.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@Gangsta:

I dont think that i30 will be on the Indian roads soon. First, I think they will be bringing the sedan here.

Its better to go in for Getz CRDi as you are keen on hatch and dont like the handling of Verna. However, if you want you can wait for i20. i20 will be mostly available with the 1.5 110bhp diesel engine.
But Getz CRDi is without ABS. I really don't feel comfortable driving a non ABS car. Its been years i had been driving cars with ABS. I'm a fast driver, so a non ABS car is not recommended for me.

i20 will be available in 1.5L 110hp engine. You mean to say Verna's engine and Turbo? What's the source for info mate. Please share.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post

You forgot one more thing bro. Upgrading tyres. 175 punny tyres can't handle petefied Verna. That's 101% sure that i will go for petes box, just after 5k km. I think i need few long holiday trips to cover 5k km soon, if i will buy Verna.

Aha!! i20 coming in nov. I don't remember the magazine. But not sure about 1.5L engine in that lil car.

Verna top variant will be around Rs 8 lakh 80 thousand.
A Hatchback i20 or i30 with Verna's engine will be around 6-6.5 lakh.

I save a lot. I can spend 1 lakh on the modifications on petes and tyres and light weight alloys and other accessories.

GGrrrr..!! Again confused.
Old 10th July 2008, 19:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post

i20 will be available in 1.5L 110hp engine. You mean to say Verna's engine and Turbo? What's the source for info mate. Please share.
Some time ago, I went to Hyundai dealer in Vadodara with friend for inquiry about Santro. I asked him about i20 also. He was trying to push Getz Diesel. I had asked about the engine parts and suspension parts.

He explained me about the engine that it will be available in i20 to fight competition. Also a small diesel would be available in i10. This is the source.
Old 12th July 2008, 13:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post

There is one more source confirming the dealer. Please refer to Page No. 12 in the recently launched magazine " Auto Bild India ". There in the last paragraph they mention the same thing as the dealer had told me.

AutoBild:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hit-india.html

Official site of Auto Bild:
AutoBild

Most Viewed