Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:09   #16
BHPian

i would suggest the TATA MARINA
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dev, like V12 said wont the Esteem be too cramped for 5-6 people ???
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:13   #18
BHPian

as most of the above member mentioned, indigo marina is ur best choice in the budget!
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Since you are planning to buy a diesel vehicle, wait till April. New pollution norms will be enforced (E-III in selected cities) and most diesel vehicles will come with engine upgrade (mostly CRDi).
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yeah but that wud mean the cars will be costlier which i am sure he wouldn't want. Also since lotsa people would be waiting for BS-III vehicles he may get discount on the current model
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:52   #21
dev
BHPian

6 people will feel difficulty in Esteem.
Are they introducing Euro 3 in Bangalore for Esteem Di? And when they are introducing into the market?
If I choose Indigo or marina which model I need to prefer? And any drawbacks in those models? As I pointed before, engine is not matured in TATA Engines. So, I am not confident on that. Since Zen D is used by my relatives and I know personally, it is giving 20Kms/lt.
Will it be a good bet if I go for Esteem Di?
and can I get Euro 3 in Indigo/marina?
Old 2nd March 2005, 13:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

i say go for the Tavera . 6 people (max) in an indigo / marina will be a very tight fit too!

the Tavera would do the job nicely....btw how much does the base model Tavera come to on road ?
anyone ?

cheers
Old 2nd March 2005, 13:06   #23
dev
BHPian

Tavera base model comes for 6.5lakhs (on road) in BLR. it doesn't comes with PowerSteering, AC, and non-metallic only.
And for Marina, we can have only 5 people max. so, I doubt whether they offer extra seating behind rear seats like Tavera.
Old 2nd March 2005, 20:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
For Tavera and Qualis I need to spend 7.5 lakhs. Same for Scorpio.
Sridhar,
it seems Esteem Di won't be introduced to amrket soon with Euro 3. Will it take time or they don't have any plans now? Will there be any difference between Euro 2 and 3 in Esteem Di?

Will it be a nest bet if I purchase Esteem Di? or shall I go for Indigo/ Marina? Performance wise, which one comes first? Esteem or Indigo/Marina?

Please suggest.
The esteem is too small and cramped and outdated...its nowhere when compared to the spacious and comfortable interiors of the indigo/marina.
The esteem di is too lethargic to drive in the city...needs constant gear changes whereas in the indigo/marina, the performance is decent...it will keep up with city traffic easily...the gear ratios are better spaced than that of the esteem di and thus requires less gear changes.

Overall, the esteem may give you higher fuel efficiency...but in todays world its too cramped and outdated, even safety is an issue with the esteem as its a very old design. but the indigo/marina will be more easier to drive in the city.

The indigo and the marina would be the more practical choices in my opinion. and yes like mentioned before check out the tavera, scorpio as well...didnt suggest the qualis as its out of production and even if you do find one...resale will not be much now.

Drifter
Old 2nd March 2005, 20:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
Tavera base model comes for 6.5lakhs (on road) in BLR. it doesn't comes with PowerSteering, AC, and non-metallic only.
And for Marina, we can have only 5 people max. so, I doubt whether they offer extra seating behind rear seats like Tavera.

No theres no option of extra seats in the marina. Try to get the tavera with atleast power steering and AC...these creature comforts are must these days.

Drifter
Old 2nd March 2005, 23:31   #26
BHPian

It looks like the Indigo/Marina and the Esteem Di are the only options that come within your budget.Yeas,the TATA have reliability issues,more so than others,but they're not as bad as their reputation suggests.The Esteem is too outdated,cramped and under-everything to be even considered.It's on it's last breath.....The B3 Tavera (with A/c & P/s) would have been ideal for you long trips with 5+ onboard,but sadly it's way out of your budget.Hope for the best and buy the Marina,that's what I say.The decision is yours to make.......
Old 3rd March 2005, 16:42   #27
BHPian

Dev,

All the cars mentioned above viz, Hyundais, Fiats, etc are strictly 5-seaters and most of them crossing your budget.. The Indigo Marina is definitely an option. But you may also want to consider the new Ambassador Grand. Its got all the accessories with a 2.0 Liter Isuzu Diesel engine, a power steering, etc. The fuel-efficiency is spot on with 17-18 kmpl on diesel. The vehicle is safe, dated and used across india. Spares and Maintenance of an Amby should not be an issue at all.. And with two bench seats, you can take 6-people easily.. I think the amby is available in BS-III version, but you'd better confirm with a local dealer.

If you can increase your budget a bit, i would suggest you take a look at the Sumo Victa as well.. Let me know what you decide..

Cheers,
Manish.
Old 3rd March 2005, 16:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Since you are planning to buy a diesel vehicle, wait till April. New pollution norms will be enforced (E-III in selected cities) and most diesel vehicles will come with engine upgrade (mostly CRDi).
RX,

I think most likely the plan to enforce E-III in selected cities will have to be postponed, i recently read somewhere that although the vehicles with E-III would be ready, but E-III compliant fuel is missing.. And any bad fuel in a E-III engine would increase the maintenance costs of the engine.. So better to buy a E-II engine which can be upgraded to E-III at a minimum cost..

Cheers,
Manish
Old 3rd March 2005, 19:25   #29
dev
BHPian

I will let you know guys once I take decision. It looks like all the BHPians had good experience with Indigo. ONly point I am NOT inclined towards Indigo is with its Engine. After 50K kms, it starts giving problems. And after 6 months, it produces lot of black smoke. But, space wise and price wise I can vote for Indigo.
I had soft corner towards MUL. As the resale value is good and FE is very good. As I told before, looks doesn't matters.
I can consider Fiat. But after sales service is too bad and in my native place we don't have a dealer. I have another option as Victa. But Sumo is outdated and nowadays no one using.
I can increase my budget to 6.5 with all the access., if i can get good deal which can accomodate 6 persons. Else I will fix with 5 persons and I am in confusion to select between Indigo/Esteem.
Please note, it is going to be with me for a long time. I am not going to sell it in near future. My family members are not so fat.
And what is the on road price for Ambasador Grand?
Thanks guys.
Old 3rd March 2005, 20:05   #30
BANNED

if you ask me i would preferably go in this order

Marina
Esteem Di
Indigo

marina would obviously be the first choice coz of the space it wud offer

i read thru the posts the TATA engines obviously are not comparable to the Maruti ones but then its not bad we have a indica and its never given a major problem

if you drive around just for 1000k a month we are looking at around 50 months dude so

decide and get a hit

P.S.the new esteem petrol which my bro drives gives him FE of 15 with petrol so think about it (with that many ks on the speedo a petrol is better and easier to maintain than a diesel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks