Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Used May 2006 Toyota Corolla - Your views please

Mods - There is already 1 thread on used toyota corolla being discussed, i did not want the initiator's thread to be hijacked. If a new topic need not be raised please go ahead and merge this.

Friends
Need your help and advise. As part of my hunt for a sedan i happened to visit a used car dealer today and did a TD of Toyota Corolla, specifications given below -
Model - H2 (Manual transmission)
Year/Month - May 2006
Kms Done - 11000
Colour - Champagne Mica
Warranty - 3 Yrs/1L kms (so 1 more year available)
Insurance - Renewed available till May 2009
Unused Spare Wheel
OE Alloys, Bridgestone Potenza tyres
KeyLess Entry
OE - 6CD MP3 player, Auto Climate Control, ABS, Airbags
OE Fabric seats.

On the TD - I did close to 2-3 kms of TD, took it on some bad stretches (not rare to find in BLR), did some steep inclined roads, touched around 80-90 kmph for vibration check, sudden braking etc. The vehicle sailed through peacefully. But somewhere I felt the engine was not smooth as other corolla's i had driven before, later checked that the 2nd Free service has not been done (20k kms or 2 years), but the current owner had just got some general checkups done. Have asked him to get the car serviced, show me the record and give me another TD on Saturday.

Price - Seller quotes 8.5 Lac, i have given my price as 8Lacs. Did a check on carwale the quote is very higher than what i have offered.

Your help required on -
- Does 8Lacs sound reasonable given the above specifications?
- Is there any issue in car not having undergone the 2nd service? If i calculate its roughly 2 months overdue for service. Though the seller says this car was being used as a 2nd vehicle, but i want to take some views from the current Corolla owners or experts on anything in particular that i have to watch out for or check?

Your help required please.

Thanks
-Rajesh
Old 10th July 2008, 16:29   #2
SUV
BHPian

Why do you want to plonk your $$ on a to be phased out Model ? Check out the Fiesta Facelift, it hadles way better than a corolla does....
Old 10th July 2008, 16:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Price seems high for year (2006) but good enough for mileage (11K). Plus insurance is done which may be worth around 26K. 1K overdue service hardly makes any difference, but should always get service on time. Remember that 1K service/1 month service is nothing but a car wash. Only at 10K service do things get changed and inspected more thoroughly.

Overall check the car. 11K is hardly anything for bad driving or poor maintenance (if the seller was doing that) to have a major effect on most cars. Perhaps bargain for some reduction. At 11K, smoothness or otherwise (in your perception) will not change much, since 11K is almost new. Thus, do not expect a significant improvement in your perception.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:56   #4
BHPian

Price

The car seems sparingly used and hence the high price. But for the budget you have, you can look at many new cars as well. Missing the the service by about 1000 km/ 2months may not be much, but technically it voids the balance warranty.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:30   #5
BANNED

Its a steal at this price, I own a H2corolla myself, 11k is just nothing. Dont worry about service, corolla engine is not so smooth inherently. 2nd service is due at 10k, its just driven 1k more, no problem at all.
The car is well specd. version + insurance, its a sweet deal.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
but technically it voids the balance warranty.
Check this point with your local Corolla dealer or even write to Toyota as an existing customer (if you are not finicky, give your tel. no. but the regn no of the seller's car if required). I do not think 1K overdue will cause warranty to become void.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:49   #7
BANNED

It's a good car. 11k kms is as brand new. This is something one will not find easily in used car market.
Go for it.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

The price is good considering only 11k on the ODO
Check throughout the car for rough usage or uneven wear and tear, rust and damages which could be due to mis handling of the car and non proper maintenance.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
Friends
specifications given below -
Model - H2 (Manual transmission)
Year/Month - May 2006
Kms Done - 11000

Warranty - 3 Yrs/1L kms (so 1 more year available)
Insurance - Renewed available till May 2009
Unused Spare Wheel
OE Alloys, Bridgestone Potenza tyres

On the TD - I did close to 2-3 kms of TD, took it on some bad stretches (not rare to find in BLR), did some steep inclined roads, touched around 80-90 kmph for vibration check, sudden braking etc. The vehicle sailed through peacefully. But somewhere I felt the engine was not smooth as other corolla's i had driven before, later checked that the 2nd Free service has not been done (20k kms or 2 years), but the current owner had just got some general checkups done. Have asked him to get the car serviced, show me the record and give me another TD on Saturday.

Price - Seller quotes 8.5 Lac, i have given my price as 8Lacs. Did a check on carwale the quote is very higher than what i have offered.

Your help required on -
- Does 8Lacs sound reasonable given the above specifications?
- Is there any issue in car not having undergone the 2nd service? If i calculate its roughly 2 months overdue for service. Though the seller says this car was being used as a 2nd vehicle, but i want to take some views from the current Corolla owners or experts on anything in particular that i have to watch out for or check?

Your help required please.

Thanks
-Rajesh

Its probably too good a deal.
Go for it. But dont forget to check the tyre wear, uneven paint, etc. If you dont find any problems, then just grab it.
Old 11th July 2008, 00:41   #10
BHPian

hey buddy. looks like we're both hunting for corollas! anyway, are you sure you want to spend so much money on a used car which is going to be phased out soon??

i know i know. its like the pot calling the kettle black. but in my case my budget is just around 5L and the cars i am looking for (2003-2004) have already depreciated most of their value. so the introduction of the new model couldn't hurt me by much.

why not a used civic for just a little more? same class newer car.

good luck with your purchase.
Old 11th July 2008, 00:54   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
hey buddy. looks like we're both hunting for corollas! anyway, are you sure you want to spend so much money on a used car which is going to be phased out soon??

i know i know. its like the pot calling the kettle black. but in my case my budget is just around 5L and the cars i am looking for (2003-2004) have already depreciated most of their value. so the introduction of the new model couldn't hurt me by much.

why not a used civic for just a little more? same class newer car.

good luck with your purchase.
Yep when u can get a used corrolla for below 5L why pay 8L. Your 8-8.5L budget will get u accord type 2/ Octavia RS/L&K etc... i would say the 11K mileage does look good but if you are in the used car market your budget will get u a lot of other cars.
Old 12th July 2008, 14:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Yep when u can get a used corrolla for below 5L why pay 8L. Your 8-8.5L budget will get u accord type 2/ Octavia RS/L&K etc... i would say the 11K mileage does look good but if you are in the used car market your budget will get u a lot of other cars.
Couple of points because of which i'am going in for a used Toyota Corolla with this budget.

- Accord - not comfortable of getting slotted in this car segment. I cover close to 40kms every day on an average, i understand Accord returns around 5-6kms per litre, running costs will be high. Maintenance costs also should be higher for this segment, please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

- Skoda - not happy with the rear leg room. Though i self drive almost 100% i do some long drives during the year with friends and family. I was definitely not happy with Octavia and RIDER's rear seat comfort. Also the Corolla features will be missing.

- Octavia RS - havent seen this in used car market, definitely can consider if i get one.

The cars i have evaluated so far -

- Civic - futuristic car, absolute marvel to look at. Not happy with the ground clearance hence not very keen to go for it. Used car prices range from 9L to 11L (2005 - 2007). For a new car, down payment of 3-4L. Down payment and EMI not within my budget.

- Cedia - Concerned on A** in Bangalore till a new dealership opens. Current offer available - 29K insurance off + sun film + mats on Spirit model. I have asked to include fog lamps + extended warranty as an offer, awaiting response from Southern motors, still the option is open.

- New Corolla - New model expected to be out in 1 month, price range expected 13-15L. Down payment of 3-4L should be planned, to make sure EMI on loan is within repayment capacity. Downpayment and EMI not within my budget.

- To be phased Corolla's in showroom - H2 is the model i want to go for. Limited choices of colour, heavy discounts available. Downpayment should not be an issue, EMI will not be within my budget. Also, since the clearance sale is ON, not sure if i will land up with a "lemon". Dont want constant niggles and my car more in the service center rather than my apartment garage (basic reason for selling off my safari)

- The current used car im evaluating - I feel i have quoted 15-20K more but i think that offsets the insurance i need not be worried for 11 months.
* H2 is what i was looking for the following - airbags, abs, fogs, auto A/c, alloys, tubeless tyres, 6CD/MP3.
* Manufacturer warranty available for 1 more year.
* 11K is definitely a very low mileage car and still a lot running can be done for next 5 years.
* Spare tyre is unused, existing tyres look good. No need of any tyre change for atleast 2 years.
* Interiors look new and very neat maintanance.
* Plan to keep this car for next 5 years. Service intervals of 10K kms or 12 months should not burn my pockets much.
* Decent mileage as quoted by current owners - 10-11 with A/c.
* Some amount of checks has been done to make sure its not an "decorated" accident vehicle.
* No need to spend any amounts on ICE atleast right now, i probably will go in for leather seats 6 months later.
As of now i'am still awaiting a call from the dealer to do a TD after the service. Plan to check the records and call up service center also. Will take a call once i do that.

Meanwhile, thanks for the responses that are coming through and please feel free to add your views if you feel im glaringly wrong in my analysis.

Cheers
Old 12th July 2008, 17:25   #13
BHPian

You have evaluated the car very comprehensively.

Since cars in Bangalore are priced similar as Mumbai, the price offered by you for a sparingly driven 2006 H2 is very competitive even without comprehensive insurance.

IMHO definitely worth considering this one favourably. Good Luck
Old 18th July 2008, 12:42   #14
BHPian

Update:
Sorry for being away so long. Was swamped with work. Allright, coming on to the update. I have decided to go ahead with the car for 8Lacs.

The seller completed the 20K (2year) service and gave me a chance to TD again. I checked the service bill for list of jobs done.
- Service done at Nandi Toyota.
- Around 5K was the service bill (all paid by the seller offcourse!!)
- Engine Oil has been replaced.
- Routine checks done.

Did a TD again, definitely felt the ride more easy (may be psychological also!). I noticed some scratches on the front bumper, asked the seller to get a rubbing polish done and get it removed, he agreed and i got a call yesterday saying it has been completed.

Plan to take delivery of the car on Sunday. Will post pictures soon.

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Cheers...
Old 20th July 2008, 09:05   #15
BHPian

Congrats, may it give many trouble free years of ownership.

Do post pics after taking delivery today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks