Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 07:12   #1
BHPian

Someone wins Civic A/T from Lays. Wants to sell @ 10.5 lakhs

Hi folks,

Yesterday when I went to my favorite car decor shop and struck up conversation with the owner who also happens to be a good friend of mine.

He says, you know of this person who went out and bought a packet of Lay's chips for his daughter - to discover that he had won himself a Civic AT!

Now this person (the winner) does not want the car, but rather some money out of it, and is tempting to sell it off for 10.5 lacs (on road). A white Civic AT (still in the showroom).

Although I have not been actively thinking of buying another car yet, the offer sure does tempt me to buy another car. To accommodate a growing family. And a perhaps a little for snob value. What are your views guys?
Old 12th July 2008, 07:32   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

good going make sure the car is new. Usually the winners need to pay some tax (damn ! with so many taxes, i forgot which one). Make sure he bears that from the money you pay him.

All the best and may you avatar change to a civic
Old 12th July 2008, 08:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Buy it for the quality car it is, and for the 2 lakh discount.
Old 12th July 2008, 10:47   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Civic is a fantastic sedan. The A/T all the more better if you are looking at primarily city driving. I'd say lap up the Civic for this steal of a price. Just ensure that you read the fine print, as well as calculate the taxes that would be due from you.
Old 12th July 2008, 10:55   #5
BANNED

In 1995, my cousin won a Bajaj Chetak for buying curtain material from Vimal. He got this offer converted into a KB100 by paying the balance. I remember the RC having a rubber stamp that said "No re-registration for 2 years" or something like that - meaning you were not allowed to sell this vehicle for 2 years.

Things may have changed but please read the fine print before going for it.
Old 12th July 2008, 11:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
In 1995, my cousin won a Bajaj Chetak for buying curtain material from Vimal. He got this offer converted into a KB100 by paying the balance. I remember the RC having a rubber stamp that said "No re-registration for 2 years" or something like that - meaning you were not allowed to sell this vehicle for 2 years.

Things may have changed but please read the fine print before going for it.
Yes, I hope these kind of gifts will be registered on the owner and cannot sell the vehicle for limited number of years.

The owner can sell the car by getting a sale deed signed on mutual agreement, however cannot transfer the car registration immediately. check out these things before buying it.
Old 12th July 2008, 15:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, do check the fine print. Almost every prize won in contests like this have a "Non transferable" clause.
Old 12th July 2008, 17:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its a good deal i suppose
Make sure its not in a bad state and all.
Also confirm the papers etc.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:11   #9
BHPian

Car still on hold. For 10 lacs now.

As far as I have told, he has paid the 30% prize tax (or whatever) near about 4 lacs. The on-road price of a new car in Siliguri is 13.52 lacs, so what is offering is a 25% discount.

Thanks guys! I will need to find out regarding the paperwork. Especially if it is going to be first registered to him (cause he is the prize winner) and only then to me. Then, I would have to also consider that I will become the second owner of a brand-new car and its subsequent resale value.

Also, how much mileage can I expect out of it?

What is the mileage of its closest competitor (? The Corolla)?

TIA.
Old 13th July 2008, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Car still on hold. For 10 lacs now.

As far as I have told, he has paid the 30% prize tax (or whatever) near about 4 lacs. The on-road price of a new car in Siliguri is 13.52 lacs, so what is offering is a 25% discount.

Thanks guys! I will need to find out regarding the paperwork. Especially if it is going to be first registered to him (cause he is the prize winner) and only then to me. Then, I would have to also consider that I will become the second owner of a brand-new car and its subsequent resale value.

What is the mileage of its closest competitor (? The Corolla)?
Good that you have decided to buy this car. Jut make sure that you complete the proper work as per the prescribed laws.

I do not think there will be an problem with the resale value given the car is from Honda stable and you explain to your prospective buyer how you got this vehicle.

IMO, for FE, certain cars should not be looked for these things. A sheer joy of owning this car should be made off with the FE.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ Johy - If only you had posted this a week earlier
Go for it. Its a steal! Resale shouldn't matter as its a "Hoonda"
As per ACI, FE should be 8.1/11.9 city/highway.
Enjoy!
Old 13th July 2008, 13:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
10-13 seems to be range people are experiencing. It is said that once you master the auto 'box (especially the paddle shift), you can get mileage equal or greater than the manual 'box.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
10-13 seems to be range people are experiencing. It is said that once you master the auto 'box (especially the paddle shift), you can get mileage equal or greater than the manual 'box.
Could you provide a link, if this has been discussed on t-bhp? I'm intrigued. Thanks and sorry for taking this off-topic.
Old 13th July 2008, 14:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Could you provide a link, if this has been discussed on t-bhp? I'm intrigued. Thanks and sorry for taking this off-topic.
Sorry, no link for this one. A friend owns a Civic A/T and gets mileage in the high 13s, which is more than your average M/T. I'm impressed by his shifting (then again, he might have gotten a particularly good car) and he claims as he got used to the paddles, his mileage improved to its current levels.

Am interested in hearing the thoughts of fellow BHPians on this though.
Old 13th July 2008, 14:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

johy, your lucky to be getting a Civic for a price of a Cedia or little souped up Verna

It's a great deal but if your mileage consious then beware!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks