Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 09:59   #16
BHPian

Thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
btw- the palio 1.9 has been discontinued too, has'nt it?
Yes Rippergeo. I am moving from a discontinued model to another.

I got details from Popular. It seems the car has been serviced only once there for the 60K service.

I am trying to get more details from Hilton. Let me see how it goes. JKDas can you help me with this?

Last edited by basilmabraham : 15th July 2008 at 10:01.
Old 15th July 2008, 14:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Palio 1.9D was discontinued some time ago, but the car i.e. the updated Palio is still in production and the basic chassis and suspension still remain the same.

IMO, two years donw the line, and procuring parts for Elantra might be a bit more difficult than procuring parts for palio.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The Palio 1.9D was discontinued some time ago, but the car i.e. the updated Palio is still in production and the basic chassis and suspension still remain the same.

IMO, two years donw the line, and procuring parts for Elantra might be a bit more difficult than procuring parts for palio.
Actually certain parts for the 1.9 are harder to source than the petrol variants. I know this since a friend picked up the 1.9 early last year and then it lay in the garage for a while.

Elantra is popular overseas so spares should be available atleast for the next decade.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:36   #19
BHPian

Update

Guys, I got the car test driven by an acquaintance, mechanic, from Popular Hyundai. He found out the following issues -

1. Clutch is almost done for and needs replacement
2. Timing belt and parts needs replacement. (This is infact part of the 80K service, so he says)
3. Front suspension needs some work done.
4. Car has been repainted, to remove scratches and dents, no parts replaced.
Work altogether to cost close to 50K. Mechanic assured another 80K kms after these repair works are done, with regular servicing.

I talked to the Territory Manager of FC and he has promised the following.
All works as part of 80K service will be carried out. Which includes
1. Clutch replacement, am not sure whether this is part of the service, anyways, it will be done.
2. Timing harness and other parts will be replaced.
3. Suspension will be worked on.
4. Any other small issues will be dealt with.
They have estimated 35K-40K for all this work, which seemed authentic, as they would get dealer benefits. All work will be done at the authorised Hyundai service center (Hilton Hyundai).

New tyres were already on offer, plus, I can transfer my NCB from the Palio to the Elantra. FC would arrange for 6 months insurance as well (close to 15K.)

So all together the prioce of the car is like as below.

Selling price - 585,000

Insurance - 15,000
Repair work - 40,000
Two new tyres - 6,000
Total - 61,000

So actual selling price would be 585,000 - 61,000 = 524,000.

Does this make the deal a better one now.

I will be making a decision today evening.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:12   #20
BHPian

Provided all that ^ work is carried out properly by the chaps to your satisfaction , the deal looks good to me.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:24   #21
BHPian

Sounds Good for me. One and 80K done car you have to expect this much. Its good that you are blindly buying it and later finding out clutch is not good etc etc. I feel its a go ahead.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Update from my side.
Three service was done from Hilton as per manual and no report of any accident work done from Hilton or Popular.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:30   #23
BHPian

The price even at 5,24 seems a bit too high for elentra. Probably becasue you are buying for FC and not from a direct owner.

Otherwise elentra is a good car and shouldn't be very probelmatic. (though elentra production is stopped I guess and new elentra is on its way)

The price you found on car wale, are never correct and something not to rely on.

Here is a thing which may just click, call up FC and tell them you want to sell a elentra and good condition. They will surely tell you that they will see the car first but if you force them a little they might just give you a idea on phone. And like this you can try some other second hand dealers too.
Old 15th July 2008, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post

Here is a thing which may just click, call up FC and tell them you want to sell a elentra and good condition. They will surely tell you that they will see the car first but if you force them a little they might just give you a idea on phone. And like this you can try some other second hand dealers too.

Chances are they must be expecting this - so if need be call up another branch of their - perhaps in Cok.

@JK - Service - esp Oil change is supposed ot be every 5,000km. So only thre services in Hiltion PLUS the Fourth 60k one in Popular. NOT GOOD! Where has it been repainted? Please know that there are places outside where one can get the body worked on. So pls take the 'to remove scratches only' statement with a pich of salt - rather believe it completely ONLY if the repainting was done in the sowroom itself!

What has happened since 60K?. Has it never been serviced?

Dont want to discourage you but that turbo will need inspection for sure. Or rather, permit me to repharase - Without clarity on all of the above - "I would'nt"!!
Old 15th July 2008, 19:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Guys, I got the car test driven by an acquaintance, mechanic, from Popular Hyundai. He found out the following issues -

1. Clutch is almost done for and needs replacement
2. Timing belt and parts needs replacement. (This is infact part of the 80K service, so he says)
3. Front suspension needs some work done.
4. Car has been repainted, to remove scratches and dents, no parts replaced.
Work altogether to cost close to 50K. Mechanic assured another 80K kms after these repair works are done, with regular servicing.

I talked to the Territory Manager of FC and he has promised the following.
All works as part of 80K service will be carried out. Which includes
1. Clutch replacement, am not sure whether this is part of the service, anyways, it will be done.
2. Timing harness and other parts will be replaced.
3. Suspension will be worked on.
4. Any other small issues will be dealt with.
They have estimated 35K-40K for all this work, which seemed authentic, as they would get dealer benefits. All work will be done at the authorised Hyundai service center (Hilton Hyundai).

New tyres were already on offer, plus, I can transfer my NCB from the Palio to the Elantra. FC would arrange for 6 months insurance as well (close to 15K.)

So all together the prioce of the car is like as below.

Selling price - 585,000

Insurance - 15,000
Repair work - 40,000
Two new tyres - 6,000
Total - 61,000

So actual selling price would be 585,000 - 61,000 = 524,000.

Does this make the deal a better one now.

I will be making a decision today evening.
suspension will be done in warrenty. Don't waste money on suspension part, get it replaced by hyundai itself under warrenty. If the clutch is hard then its not that only clutch overhaul is the solution, only pressure plates needs to be changed if the clutch is heavy. Elantra needs a good mechanic. Get it done only from Company owned Hyundai Service Station i.e Hyundai Plaza. Not many mechanics can do the tuning right for Elantra CRDi. After all the work go for a good alignment part else you will loose tyres very soon as Elantra is a very heavy car.

All parts are imported from Korea, So don't go for the local things in Elantra. Everything is a heavy duty part. Clutch Assembly is damn big and heavy
Old 15th July 2008, 19:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the price is still a bit high. If you are interested in Elantra Crdi, then try sourcing from other dealers.
Old 15th July 2008, 20:43   #27
Team-BHP Support

If you must, buy the car at rock bottom price as is and get the work done at Hyundai by tyourself. You can ensure no corners are cut
Old 16th July 2008, 01:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Think about this - you will be the 2nd owner of this car, and after you use it for a few years, it would have clocked atleast 150000 KMS. Will it have much of a resale value without you having to do major overhauls (and spend much), and get a good resale value afterwards? Though I love the Elantra, I think going in for a new car or atleast a less-run in-production model makes better sense.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

basil, ask me paying 5.3+lacs and buying a car which has done 80k kms. dont make sense to me!

couple of more lacs you can get brand new diesel sedan....

Also you can look at other used cars in the range of 5lacs. am sure you will get good Scorpio for that money...
Old 16th July 2008, 10:09   #30
BHPian

Basil,
Please dont believe FC too much. (I have been dealing with them for almost 2-3 years and I know the games they play)

I mean tell them that whatever part is gone, replace it, dont go with repairing it.

Also, they have this thing of repairing it in their own garage..
Tell them clearly not to do that..
They have to give it to an authorised hyundai showroom and you keep monitoring the same there.

All the best buddy, hope things go well.
Also, let me know if you need anything, I can maybe talk to the regional head of FC.

Most Viewed