Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2005, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Which Car in these parameters ??

Dear Experts

Your expert views and guidance needed to decide a car within the following parameters. ( for Mumbai)

1. Budget between 5 - 6.25 lakhs
2. FE (Mostly city drive of 70Km per day)
3. Ride quality
4. Maintenance
5. Resale value

Will any vehicle steal the top number, if budget is streched say additional 10%.

Please guide.
Old 7th March 2005, 18:31   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I'd say the Baleno. Power is a bonus although the resale value is a little compromised.
Old 7th March 2005, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

70 kms per day? thats quite a bit? do u mind a diesel car? then if you could stretch your budget...an accent viva crdi comes to mind at around 6.8 lakhs (thane). Even the indigo is worth a look.

If not a diesel car then the baleno is a nice pick.

Drifter
Old 7th March 2005, 18:44   #4
BHPian

If i were you, i'd rather wait for the GETZ crdi !!
Old 7th March 2005, 18:48   #5
BANNED

Hey Hackett since fe is your main concern and your run turning about to 70kms a day then you should go for a diesel. Best vehicle would be the Viva Crdi as drifter mentioned. Scorpio Crde can also be considered but fe not that great. If maintenance, FE, Resale, Ride is concerned you can get a City Exi but it wont come below 7.
Old 7th March 2005, 19:33   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
Oh yeah that would be fun but I think it would come in the last quarter of the year.
Old 7th March 2005, 22:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
hyundai says it has no plans of bringing in the crdi getz in the near future(jan autocar)-even if it does come its sure to be 5.5 lakh+ and that for a hatchback is not good value.for that money i would say a baleno(u get power & performance to top up the parameters u have mentioned) or if u could streach it to 7 lakhs the NHC would be perfect(since power is not a criterion in ur case).if u could streach it a little more the innova would seal it 7.5l.

cars to avoid:
accent petrol,fiat petra
Old 8th March 2005, 09:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Either that, or the Swift 1.5 JTD. Although the Swift JTD is even further off than the Getz CRDi is.
Old 8th March 2005, 10:01   #9
BHPian

After reading other posts in this site, few points comes to mind.
That the basic consideration routes are
1. TCO (Total cost of ownership which includes, FE,maintenance or service cost. with acceptable driveability)
2. Performance - (in terms of pickup, ease and fun to drive factors, which obviously inverse to FE )

So please advise me which vechile as on date is the best on these points spearately or average of both.

Secondly Why ford flair is not a recommended one. Is flair TCO is very high. Please enlighten.

Please correct me if wrong, that petrol vehicle is better than disel one, from the current available lot within similar price band.
Old 8th March 2005, 10:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

As far as TCO is concerned nothing comes close to the indigo/marina diesel...but what you do loose out on is on the fun factor....the indigo/marina diesel are not known rubber burning performance. The quality is still a little off the mark, but its certainly bearable.

Fun to drive...
Cars to look at - baleno, ikon 1.6.
Both cars are having good performance on tap...but the ikon edges out with its handling...but the brakes in the ikon take little getting used to. The baleno is quite a good performer too...being a maruti FE is also taken care of to a certain extent...it gives around 10kmpl in the city. For a baleno, you need to upgrade to better tyres because standard ones are pathetic for handling but excellent for the ride.

The spares parts of ford are similarly priced to other cars in the category...some parts of baleno however could be on the higher side.
The ikon 1.3 was not recommended because in your budget you can get better cars than the 1.3.

Diesel Vs Petrol
Modern day diesels can give petrol engines a run for their money...they require less mantainence than before...just stick to regular service intervals and they will give you no problems.

Since you drive about 70kms/day .. a diesel makes more sense....thats why i suggested the viva crdi at 6.8 lakhs...its got good performance, and FE is really good for the performance it offers... (12-13 kmpl city and 18-19kmpl highway). My crdi gives a little less because of fatter rubber. Just take a test drive of all the cars before you make your decision.

Hope this answers your queries.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 8th March 2005 at 10:17.
Old 8th March 2005, 21:20   #11
BHPian

Read in Feb'05 Overdrive that City Exi's mileage is
with in city 16.75 km and highway 27Km.

Is it true ? .. Any current owners please confirm/convey the reality
Old 8th March 2005, 21:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
Read in Feb'05 Overdrive that City Exi's mileage is
with in city 16.75 km and highway 27Km.

Is it true ? .. Any current owners please confirm/convey the reality

Wow wow wow....16 and 27 is absolutely unrealistic!!! The best I have got is 14 and 19kmph... May be if you detune the car you can get that kinda mileage but im sure the car will be no different than a maruti 800...

Dude according to me, the best suited car for you would be a 2nd hand Vtec or a baleno in gasoline category and in diesel I wud recommend Esteem or lancer or Indigo.
Old 8th March 2005, 23:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

If I were u , Baleno( in petrol) or the Viva CRDI(in diesel-- Only if u could strech yr budget)

Considering yr daily run 70km means burning 7 liters of petrol --around 300 rupees
Its strongly recomended to go for diesel( if the fun factor in the ride can be compromised , the Indigo aint bad either).
Old 9th March 2005, 10:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

how about the base tavera or the innova????
Old 9th March 2005, 11:21   #15
BHPian

take a test drive in Palio disel.
if somebody says about FIAT AFTER SALES SERVICE, ask them whether they own a fiat.
Pailo D is a great car.
or evej a petra Disel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks