Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 14:12   #1

Confused on used car purchase!

Hey Guys,

I am planning to buy my first car in bangalore and my budget is around 1.5 to 1.8 max. I was looking at few old cars like Opel corsa as I saw few adv where its within my range. What do you guys suggest? Any other options I can look for? Hows the reviews of corsa and spare part availability? Looking forward to all your suggestions.

Old 8th August 2008, 15:36   #2
BANNED

Haxor,

Wel come to the Forum !

First of all pls mentioned your requirements, what are you looking at hathback / sedan ? you want diesel / petrol version? What’s your daily running? n other requirements.

So that members can help you
Old 8th August 2008, 15:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxor View Post
Hey Guys,

I am planning to buy my first car in bangalore and my budget is around 1.5 to 1.8 max. I was looking at few old cars like Opel corsa as I saw few adv where its within my range. What do you guys suggest? Any other options I can look for? Hows the reviews of corsa and spare part availability? Looking forward to all your suggestions.

Haxor , Kindly list your requirements. Whether you need a sedan or hatchback? At that price you can get a Used Esteem , Ikon and Accent.
Among them i would suggest you to go for the Accent or Esteem as they will be lighton your pocket. Corsa & Ikon will put a deep hole in your pocket.
Stick to a Maruti or a Hyundai.
Old 8th August 2008, 15:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

As this is yoru fist car, I would recommend to go for hatch. You may feel the Sedan a bit too long and it may be difficult to handle n road. You need to get used to the roads first. Do post your exact requirements as others suggested...

Last edited by snaronikar : 8th August 2008 at 16:00.
Old 8th August 2008, 16:47   #5

I am open to both Hatchback & Sedan, My running is around 25Km per day (city Driving), not sure about petrol or Diesel , however I have heard that Diesel will be costly both in terms of buying as well as servicing. My friend has an opel corsa for last 3 years and spends around 6k per year one time servicing.But that was in Pune , so not very sure about bangalore as I recently moved here. So what do you guys say?
Old 8th August 2008, 19:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion Palio - Accent - ZEN - Esteem.

Used Diesel is not advisible especially for the budget like 1.5 to 1.8 lacs. If you are quiet good in driving I suggest you buy Sedans because of better ride and more safe compared to hatch.

For Hatch I suggest Palio (you can find excellant Palio), Maruti ZEN.

For Sedan you can find Corsa, Esteem, Indigo, Accent.

I suggest avoid Corsa and Indigo because Corsa is closed model while its difficult to find good old Indigo.

About Esteem and Accent you can find well maintained ones with sevice history. DO read the forum for buying used car. Make sure you take trusted mechanic and test the car fully including underbody to make sure its not abused one.

I suggest you try with Maruti True Value, Popular Automatch, First Choice they sell decent accident free cars. However even buying cars from these people make sure person who has knowledge check it thoroughly

All the best!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 8th August 2008 at 19:46.
Old 8th August 2008, 20:35   #7
BHPian

Go for a Zen - that is a good first car and it fits within the requirements that you have mentioned.
Old 8th August 2008, 22:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2008 at 17:59.
Old 8th August 2008, 22:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Do not buy the Corsa as its a discontinued model and moreover they are expensive to repair and maintain.Spares may prove to be problematic sooner or later. Not exactly trouble free!
The Zen is a lovely car or else even a Santro is great. If you need a sedan, a well maintained Esteem is very good. A well maintained Accent for Rs 1.5 to 1.8 L is not possible to get because you may only end up with a battered one! For an Accent to be in excellent condition, you must have Rs 2.5L and more.
Old 8th August 2008, 23:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would not recommend Corsa because of maintenance cost and spare parts availability.

I would recommend Zen, Esteem, Santro Xing and Palio. You would not get a good condition Accent in Bangalore with your budget.

I would recommend you to buy directly from buyer instead of going through used car dealers. My experience has been bad and I did not see any advantage other than options to choose and ease of ownership transfer. Branded used car dealers like Maruthi True Value would be more expensive, but more reliable compared to local players.

I prefer Hatch for city driving. Take a call depending on your usage.

All the Best!!
Old 8th August 2008, 23:26   #11
BHPian

At 25kms a day - you can rule out a diesel. Forget the corsa - it's been long discontinued now. I would recommend a hatch (Santro/Zen - great value, Palio - solid build) or an esteem. When you say "...first car in b'lore..." do you mean exactly that or is it your first car ever? - If it's your first car ever, I would recommend the Santro for it's high and upright driving position and ease of maintenance.
If you search proposerly, you will find enough material on the forum to come to your decision.
Cheers and welcome!
Old 9th August 2008, 11:20   #12
ppr
BHPian

I would say it also depends on your body habitus. If you are tall or well built, the Santro may not be the right car for you. An Esteem or a Palio might be better. There are issues with availability of spares for the Palio also, the esteem should be fine. The Esteem has very low maintenance costs as well.

PP
Old 9th August 2008, 12:22   #13

Thanks guys for all the replies, I am a tall guy 6'1, I like Palio but I have heard that after sales service is not up to the mark.Is that true?Don't think I can fit Santro in the budget, so looks like zen is the one of the option, but still palio vs zen is what I am confused on now. Will zen be a good fit for my body structure?
Old 9th August 2008, 12:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I am a tall guy 6'1,
I am not 6'1, but 5'10 only. I have used the Zen for 3 years earlier and was happy abou it. That was the only car that I used to get in and out of driver seat without pulling the seat back. I recently tried the new Zen and could do the same. In contrast even the bigger saloons I drove recently generaly required to pull the seat back to get out and in.
Old 9th August 2008, 12:54   #15
ppr
BHPian

I am 6'3" & I have a Palio which suits me well. I think the Zen would be small for you.

The Palio does not have poor after sales service, it has no after sales service (at least in Mumbai)

But we are able to manage with local guys & the spare parts & certain key stuff can be done with the dealers with delays.

The new Palios are being serviced by Tata. I wonder if they will do the old ones as well?

Most Viewed