Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 10:19   #1
BHPian

Which Car in Range 10-12 Lakhs

Dear All,

I'm planning to buy a new car in the range of 10-12 Lakhs. I'm totally confused on which car to buy. My monthly running is in tune of 500 Kms in city per month and 1 ttrip every 3 months outside city of approx 300 kms.Car is always self driven and should be able to accomodate 5 person on long trips. I'm not a very high speed driver but need good pickup.
My confusion Petrol/Diesel?
Obviously disel scores in terms of fuel cost and also new age Diesel Engines seems to be more power packed. In disle I'm keen on Verna or Optra Magnum but confused on which one to buy. I want to get the high end version with adequate safety features.
But if I go for petrol, I've shortlisted Honda City Vtec Plus or Honda Civic.
For Civic I assume I've to strech my budget by 50k-100k which is the negative factor as the net cost difference between these 2 will be almost 3 Lakhs

I need all of you to kindly advice if my choices are correct and also which one should i buy?
Old 12th August 2008, 10:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Saurabh, For your monthly usage no need of Diesel. Go for the Petrol.
The New City is expected around Diwali. Civic E would be a good option but it aint fully loaded. New City would surely fit your bill. The top end 1.5 VTEC would be opt for you.The New City should be in the 8-10 lacs bracket.
Keep tracking the New City Thread for more details.
Cheers!
Old 12th August 2008, 10:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

For 500kms/month, I don't think you need a diesel.
As you stated, in both the Verna and the Magnum, only the top end variants come with all safety features.
The NNHC coming soon. Why don't you consider the stripped down Civic E? You'll lose out on climate control, alloys, electrically retractable mirrors, leather interiors and 6 CD changer. But, you do get ABS and SRS.
Another option. As the new Corolla is around the corner, you should manage to get a great deal on the current Corolla.
Is the Octavia TPi within your budget? Nothing beats that in terms of driving pleasure! (yes, I'm biased!!)
Old 12th August 2008, 10:50   #4
BHPian

go for the Cedia, the best car in that price range with all the safety features as well as a very competent engine and great driving dynamics. Would wish people atleast test drove the car before deciding.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too feel that you should go with Petrol. Try to take several TDs and do comparision.
If you want to go for Diesel, I would recommend Optra. Running cost will also be less due to the GM cashless service offers.
If petrol, then certainly it is Civic.
Good shopping!!!
Old 12th August 2008, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

For that kind of usage i think you should go in for petrol for sure. Also if you are looking for good pickup then petrol is the way to go. Now coming to the specifics if budget is not a problem then i suggest go in for the Civic. Otherwise the City is always there.

If you foresee an increase in usage and also well dispersed and regular usage then you could look at diesel cars.
Old 12th August 2008, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Is 500 kms a month considered too low for Diesel vehicle? Are new age Diesel vehicle also designed for high usage? I was under the impression that new Diesel don't have low run in problem. Also what about the power diffrence ( both Torque and HP) between Petrlo and Diesel? I like bit of Sporty Driving and that's why was under the impression that these high power diesel cars will suit my need.

Also is there a big diffrence in Petrol & Diesel Maintainance Bill?

Last edited by saurabhkum : 12th August 2008 at 11:17. Reason: need to add one more point
Old 12th August 2008, 11:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you waiting for 3 weeks until the Corolla Altis is here. If they do launch a stripped down version to take on the Civic E then go for it ! Or else the Civic E would be your best bet.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi saurabhkum,

We have many threads which you can look through for closing on the car that you want to buy. Please search the forum If you have any specific query then post in a relevant thread.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks