Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2005, 12:41   #1

1.6 Litre Mid-Size Options

Experts:

I am confused about the make I want to choose. I have test driven and researched for over 4 months to pick a new mid-sized car.

Here are my options:

Optra 1.6 Base: I found the steering a little hard, the interiors are cool and just lacks alloy wheels - else this is almost loaded. Suspension is great.
Question: Service and Mileage (would prefer anything that is 10+ on city road) and road handling ??
Lancer 1.5 LX - Good handling, hard suspension (that's a little let down), Interiors are not as cool as Optra.
Baleno 1.6 LXi - Everything is great about this car except Service (I am scarred of any Maruti service station in Pune after having used my Zen for 3 years and 800 for 2). The looks are awful. Getting into the drivers seat is so difficult in Baleno. Atleast that's my personal experience in two test drives..

Ruled out New City - Poor Performance.

I can afford all these 3 cars. I am looking for good performance (flat torque) and ability to drive without dents in a crazy city like Pune, decent milege (over 10+ in city). Good gears, Quality of Service.

I am desperate to buy one of these before 03/31. It is a torture to drive my zen any more...

Thanks for your help in advance, as always...
Old 13th March 2005, 12:49   #2
bhp
BHPian

i think if u can afford the optra then nothing like it in its class . afterall it is an up class from the nhc and baleno but i doubt a mileage of 10+ from it . it can give u 8.5 - 9 kmpl at the max . the maintainence is going to be tough on the optra but u can always get some kool wheels after market for the optra !!
take ur pick
Old 13th March 2005, 12:59   #3
BHPian

Hi,

i dont know much about the Segment of cars..but one question..

Why u have left out Petra 1.6?
The 1.6 engine is a real gem
i've driven the 1.9d version of perta and found it Stable with a good suspension
Iam not sure of its averages.
If u dont revv hard, it can give 10?l in city.

i like it handling
Service wil be worse

Drive safe,
SREE
Old 13th March 2005, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pal

of the 3 u mentioned , i would pump for the optra (eyes closed )

class interiors , great ride decent power & performance , decent service ..the only thing i doubt is " Driving without Dents " in Pune. thats going to be difficult !

go for the optra ..

cheers
Old 13th March 2005, 13:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Check out petra too.
I am sure you will love it.
If you dont however, noithing like a optra 1.6 or a baleno but the optra 1.6 is way better.
Old 13th March 2005, 14:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Out of the cars given...i'd go for the optra...
but it will return about 8kmpl to a litre and spares could be a little higher than spares of other cars in this comparision as it is from a segment above.

N yeah in pune you'd be awfully lucky not to have any dents.

Drifter
Old 13th March 2005, 15:18   #7
BHPian

optra any time! your city FE wont go over 9kmpl however.
Old 13th March 2005, 16:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

dude it s got to be the optra if your budget allows it . fuel eff. would be 8 in city .

manson .
Old 14th March 2005, 09:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Like some others have already mentioned ... try out the Petra. And yes the Optra does seem to be the better car out of the three you are testing. Though I would pick the Baleno when it comes to the question of Value-For-Money. My two cents. Choose well and enjoy your car.
Old 14th March 2005, 10:25   #10
BHPian

in the list you mentioned Optra i guess makes the most sense. But as a VERY HAPPY Petra 1.6 owner, I would strongly urge you to check it out!

Awesome car if you like to drive on the highways!!!!

Also ergonomically, its an awesome car. Excellent support for the lower back and the thighs. Absolutely spot on positioning of the:
- stereo
- ac controls
- front window power controls

Excellent feel in the control stalks (lights and wiper). They feel like an extension of the steering wheel

Performance - superb
Old 14th March 2005, 10:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

The choice you have given is pretty simple. The Optra 1.6 is the clear favorite. However, you might have to reconsider the FE part of it. Neither of the cars you mentioned would return an average of more than 8-9kmpl in the city.

Are you looking at pre-owned? If so you could look at used Octavia TDi's or Elantra's. That would give you your FE of 10+ in the city. Think about it.
Old 14th March 2005, 11:12   #12
BHPian

Sorry Rtech, i would say my baleno is giving me 11+ in the city.
Old 14th March 2005, 11:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
in the list you mentioned Optra i guess makes the most sense. But as a VERY HAPPY Petra 1.6 owner, I would strongly urge you to check it out!

Awesome car if you like to drive on the highways!!!!

Also ergonomically, its an awesome car. Excellent support for the lower back and the thighs. Absolutely spot on positioning of the:
- stereo
- ac controls
- front window power controls

Excellent feel in the control stalks (lights and wiper). They feel like an extension of the steering wheel

Performance - superb

Nothing can beat the VFM factor of Petra. And like I said earlier your can get an FE of 10+ in city with AC.
Old 14th March 2005, 13:18   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

SRP,

Shoot ahead with the Optra 1.6. Here is a thread linky that will throw some more light on the two best options in this bracket.

GTO
Old 14th March 2005, 19:20   #15

Surprised

Surprised that no one spoke about Lancer LX 1.5. has anyone test driven or own an Lancer. I believe the handling is better than Optra. Ofcourse, Optra is cool inside/outside and great suspension.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks