Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Budget 5 lacs for used car. Edit: Hyundai Elantra CRDi, now bought!

Hi mates,

I have a 2000 hyundai Accent that I'll be selling off soon as my bro has never maintained it and consequently its not much fun to drive(never was,sum will say ).Neway my budget is 5 lacs and I have shortlisted quite a few cars as I am confused.Will be buying a used car.

Performance is important to me,have shortlisted the following..Running will be around 50-60 km daily.
Skoda Octavia diesel,Chevy Optra petrol(wish I could buy the magnum),Baleno,Honda City VTech old or new,Toyota Corolla.

The Octi and the Corolla mite be out of budget if maintenance is expensive,would appreciate inputs from someone who is using a second hand Octi / Corolla.

Will be modding the car a little,K&N universal for sure,iridium spark plugs and maybe a free flow too (with the help of someone from this forum hopefully).

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:53   #2
evo
BHPian

Octy maintenance is horrid. The dealers will try to rip you off. I suggest you stay away!

If you like driving, then you`ll find the Optras gearshift to be vague.

IMHO a VTEC or a Baleno is right.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2008, 19:22   #3
BHPian

i suggest you can go for baleno its a good a car ,i think its worth the alterations you want to carry on .
1)maintainance is not that expensive
2)good engine mileage
3)you will still save money even if u go in for a good ICE
Old 21st August 2008, 20:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fro the given lot, go for Baleno or Vtec. Not sure about your criteria for daily running/ diesel or petrol preference/ hatch or sedan/ city or highway running etc. Do post thse details, it will help us zero down on the would be car. ;-)
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:26   #5
BHPian

Dear all,

Thanks for the prompt responses.Valid points about the baleno and city.Still confused about whether to narrow it down to a city/baleno or would I be able to afford something like a Corolla/Optra.

just to enumerate further on what I am looking at,I prefer a petrol as I am not sure a diesel after running 50k kms or so would be a good idea.I want a sedan,not looking at a hatch.My running is about 30-40 kms daily in the city,out of town once in a month or so.I'm looking for a fast car that accelerates well in low rpms especially as most of my driving is in city so top speed isn't important to me.I'll be keeping this car for 2-3 years so I would like a car that is low on maintenance and ages well without engine trouble.

Thanks for the feedback guys,it really helps as I don't want to make the wrong decision and then regret it for the next couple of years.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:18   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You'd also do well in looking out for Corollas. I have seen some going in the vicinity of 5 lakhs.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Try corolla / Baleno / Vtec. If you are interested in SUVs then you can go in for Safari/Scorpio.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:25   #8
Team-BHP Support

Baleno for sale inthe classifieds.
Have a look.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:16   #9
BHPian

Thanks a ton mates..Have shortlisted to baleno,city,corolla.Guess the maintenance costs for a corolla would be expensive wouldn't it?Also the OHC 1.5 / vtec is my fave but does it age well.My current car,Hyundai Accent hasn't aged well,quite a bit of trouble.Would a used OHC which has done around 50k kms make sense?
Old 31st January 2009, 14:17   #10
BHPian

Hyundai Elantra CRDi now bought !

Thanks a ton guys for all your help.Have finally bought a Hyundai Elantra CRDi.Special thanks to Viper for meeting me and pointing me in the right direction.
All credit to tadukuttan however,it was his review of his Elantra that spurred me to raise my budget and cleared my confusion.Not only that,all his prompt and clear replies to all my pms settled it for me !
Old 31st January 2009, 15:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Thanks a ton guys for all your help.Have finally bought a Hyundai Elantra CRDi.Special thanks to Viper for meeting me and pointing me in the right direction.
All credit to tadukuttan however,it was his review of his Elantra that spurred me to raise my budget and cleared my confusion.Not only that,all his prompt and clear replies to all my pms settled it for me !
Congrats maverick! Elantra CRDi is a nice car.. Do post some pics of the same..
Drive safe..
Cheers!
Old 31st January 2009, 15:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick030581 View Post
Congrats on the CRDi what was the price, make & mileage?
Old 1st February 2009, 00:06   #13
BHPian

Thanks mates.A decision I am very happy with.Will be getting delivery after 10 days after the previous owner gets delivery of his Sonata Transform CRDi.Pics will be posted soon.
Make - 2005
KM Done - 58k
Colour - White
Model - Top end leather trim
Warranty- Under 4years/80km warranty still
Servicing/maintenance - Done at Hyundai owned service station only,full record
Owners - 1
Insurance - Comprehensive
Price paid - Lets just say I got a good deal(fingers crossed),the owner was very fair and wanted an enthusiast to own the car .The first car I saw !

Cheers
Old 9th February 2009, 00:14   #14
BHPian

Hi dear, congrats for a nice purchase.

Waiting for pics & initial reviews.

Most Viewed