Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 13:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Corolla Altis 2009- your verdict?

For me the right time to buy a new car has come. I am concentrating in the segment from 12 lakhs to 15 lakhs.

My needs are as follows:

Monthly running 600 to 800 Km, mostly city and few long trips.
I need a very durable car as I plan to keep it for next 6 to 8 years.
Something latest and max features.
Mostly two adults and 1 or 2 children traveling.
Love fast pickup and high speed. Should not lag behind if need arise.
Good suspension is must.
Sedan or SUV anything. Love to have an SUV, but there's non.
Petrol or diesel anything.
Self driven always, therefore looking for best front seat comfort.
Good on FE and low maintenance.

Guys, I need advice. Final Verdict from you all.

Is Corolla Altis the right choice for me, if yes then is it the right time to go for it or there are better things lined up in near future, can wait for few months also if needed. Second, wouldn't I miss on anything due to initial rush or is it ok.

If not, then your suggestions.
Old 30th August 2008, 13:33   #2
BANNED

Honda Civic meets all your needs. Its been here for 2 years and has proven track record all over the world.

Also you can wait for the New Honda City, which will again meet all your needs, except that its few cm shorter in length.

If you can stretch you budget by couple of lakhs, may I suggest Honda Accord (which already selling liks hot cakes !!)? Your current & future requirements will be satisfied !!
Old 30th August 2008, 13:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

I would reserve my verdict till I TD the Altis. Although it looks like the Altis fits your need.

The civic loses out on suspension which is way too soft and low down power. After many TD's of the civic I have ruled it out due to very poor low end torque which is a pain in traffic. My 8year old lancer with 88bhp has better low end performance than the civic I feel.
Old 30th August 2008, 13:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

YM- Which car do you drive currently ?
Old 30th August 2008, 14:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

YM- Altis seems to fit your bill. I think all the strong points of Corolla Altis suit your requirements. But lets wait for the launch , do take a TD and keep us updated!
Old 30th August 2008, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for suggestions. I was too eager to do the booking in the preview itself, but now I am glad that I didn't. I'll wait for the my testdrive as well as fellow Bhpians too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
YM- Which car do you drive currently ?
I currently have a Ford Ikon Flair 2005. I love this car, although it has only 70 BHP or so but it has never let me down.

Seen the new Altis in special preview. Everything in the car looked great. IMO it beats the current competition easily. But as I plan to keep my car for nearly 8 years, I want to compare it to any other cars or SUVs coming in another atleast 6 months, in the same price range.
Old 30th August 2008, 15:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Is Corolla Altis the right choice for me, if yes then is it the right time to go for it or there are better things lined up in near future, can wait for few months also if needed. Second, wouldn't I miss on anything due to initial rush or is it ok.
Depends which car you drive now - your budget etc. But from your statements looks like you aspire for the Altis - of course do a TD and then only decide. A couple of months wait might be worth if you are not in hurry - you will get the best deals then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Honda Civic meets all your needs. Its been here for 2 years and has proven track record all over the world.

Also you can wait for the New Honda City, which will again meet all your needs, except that its few cm shorter in length.

If you can stretch you budget by couple of lakhs, may I suggest Honda Accord (which already selling liks hot cakes !!)? Your current & future requirements will be satisfied !!
Ah! that is a recomendation for all Honda Sedans from a Honda fan! Why not the CR-V also after all Ym has indicated love for a SUV too!
Old 30th August 2008, 15:57   #8
BANNED

CR-V is good recommendation too . But seems like Ym-enjn is inclined more towards Toyota.

Toyota might rule the world, but in India can they atleast make it Top 3? Can't believe that they sold 1992 model Qualis in 2005 , and then better sanity prevailed on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Why not the CR-V also after all Ym has indicated love for a SUV too!
Old 30th August 2008, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CR-V is good recommendation too . But seems like Ym-enjn is inclined more towards Toyota.
Undoubtedly CR-V could have been a great choice if in my budget, as I have nothing against Honda, but strictly can't go above 15.5 lakhs on road.

Outlander, will it be in my price range? And is it more suitable for me or the Altis?

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 30th August 2008 at 16:18.
Old 30th August 2008, 16:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Outlander, will it be in my price range? And is it more suitable for me or the Altis?
Ym-enjn, none of the models you are aspiring are available for TD yet. So I guess you have to wait till more definite answers can be given.
Old 30th August 2008, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All Honda's? Why am I not surprised!

Quote:
And the Corolla hasn't proven itself all over the world?

As for the question. The Altis isn't out yet although it's just a few more days to the launch. Wait for it to get to the dealerships and then decide. By the way, Toyota dealers and service are much better then Honda's. Do keep that in mind when you decide on your next car.

Last edited by amit : 30th August 2008 at 16:53.
Old 30th August 2008, 17:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Try these vehicles: Altis (when Launched) / CRV / VW Passat / Civic.

TD all the vehicles and then decide .

Quote:
Can't believe that they sold 1992 model Qualis in 2005 , and then better sanity prevailed on them.
Diabloo, they sold a 1970 model MPV called "Kijang" which was running in IndonesiaTaiwan. They started selling from 2000 upto 2005.
Old 30th August 2008, 18:18   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Altis seems to push all the right buttons, and there is always something special about buying the newest model on the block. My only doubt is on this factor:

Quote:
Good suspension is must.
The current Corolla has a very basic suspension (improved version notwithstanding). Rumour has it that the Altis rides better, but only a detailed testdrive can confirm. It's only a couple of days away anyways. Take her for a spin and if you like what you see, plonk that deposit.
Old 30th August 2008, 18:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What a great time to be Honda fan.. But things changes fast. For me City3 below my segment, Accord above segment, Civic - hmm, but no. CR-V, is there a plan to assemble it in India and bring the prices down, otherwise nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The Altis isn't out yet although it's just a few more days to the launch.
Quote:
none of the models you are aspiring are available for TD yet
Isn't that the fun of being a Team-Bhpian. Advance information. Sometimes even the dealers get shocked on our knowledge. One biggest thing on my mind is about the near future launches. A big turmoil is going on in the industry, with every company lined up with new models and plans, even in my segment, therefore just trying to peak a boo in future. An announcement from Toyota about Fortuner can change things.
Old 30th August 2008, 20:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that the fun of being a Team-Bhpian. Advance information. Sometimes even the dealers get shocked on our knowledge. One biggest thing on my mind is about the near future launches. A big turmoil is going on in the industry, with every company lined up with new models and plans, even in my segment, therefore just trying to peak a boo in future. An announcement from Toyota about Fortuner can change things.
There is news about Gallant from Mitsubishi stable too - not sure of the timing though. But again this can change things for you. Have fun.

Most Viewed