Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 14:28   #1

When to buy Corolla Altis

Hi Friends, I need you advice on timing to buy new Corolla Altis.
Do I wait till Jan to buy the car since it is September already? Also in case if there are any tweaks that needs to be done by the manufacturer based on the users' feedback, how long might it take?

Regards,
Venkat
Old 12th September 2008, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think the best time will be Jan.
It will be considered a 2009 model. By then some discounts will be up for grabs too.
Old 12th September 2008, 15:54   #3
BHPian

If you are under no pressing urgency to possess a car immediately, it makes sense to wait for a few months. Teething issues, if any, get sorted out. Once the initial hype comes down, dealers are more willing to pass on some discounts. And as you point out, it will also become a 2009 car.
(Btw,There is that old adage : "Do as I say and not as I do"!)
Old 12th September 2008, 17:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Being just launched obviously you wont get discounts for atleast first 3-4 months. Frankly speaking i dont think this car will have much teething issues. The Altis did take its sweet time to launch so Toyota must have had made sure there were nt many issues!!! Nothing wrong to wait till Jan as Abhinav mentioned getting a 2009 model in Jan would be a bonus and also you would get more feedback about the car!!
Old 12th September 2008, 18:06   #5
BHPian

Toyotas generally have no teething issues. By waiting you will get a "2009" car, and can listen to feedback from others as to any dislikes on the car. For discounts you may have to wait a couple of years, so don't pin your hopes on that!
Old 12th September 2008, 18:48   #6
BHPian

My two bits - If you're buying in January do check if it's a 2008 manufacture or 2009. Your RC Book will mention the actual manufacture date next to 'Year of manufacture' even though the registration date at the bottom would be of 2009? So, do clarify this with the dealer.

The current months stock starts coming in during the middle or even later of the second half of the month, unless it's literally flying of the shelf!
Old 12th September 2008, 18:58   #7
BHPian

That's not the case with all Brands, as I know for Honda they try to made limited models as per demand in last month of the year which is dec. As I know I bought one in Jan and that was the first lot for new year and it was Jan 12. You can open hood and see the label there what year mark does it has.
But one good one liner -- " Man always think about yaar If I have waited some more time I could have gone better- whether is wife or car"
Old 13th September 2008, 00:07   #8

Hmmmm, now I can convince myself to wait for 3 more months, until then I can enjoy my NHC. btw I was almost taken for a ride when I went to buy Baleno in Feb of 2006, the dealer was giving me huge discount when I got suspicious and asked him the year of manufacture of the car. He tried to convince me that with the discount he was giving, the depreciation is compensated but I did not fall for the bait then...
Old 13th September 2008, 11:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Toyotas generally have no teething issues. By waiting you will get a "2009" car, and can listen to feedback from others as to any dislikes on the car. For discounts you may have to wait a couple of years, so don't pin your hopes on that!
First if you are planning to sell the car within 3 years or so then the year of manufacturing matters more (personal view). And as noticed in the second car market the car is sold as mmm-yy basis ie Sep-08 model etc.

With increase in awareness in masses the change of calender year digit doesn't necessarily means its older by an year.
Old 13th September 2008, 12:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

My opinion based on my philosophy is `never be an early adopter' (no IPhone for me yet). I would wait for the hype to settle down, kinks (inevitable in India) to be sorted, and pricing to become more reasonable (discounts, etc) before putting money on a new car.

However, as others have noted rightly, this will take close to 1 year or more. In that case, if your heart is set out, buy now or in early 2009. By the way, a lot of people buy cars from Navratras onwards, being fully aware that the year has got only max 2-3 mths left. Either you buy or let uncertainties and prognostications enter.

Last edited by vasudeva : 13th September 2008 at 12:21.
Old 13th September 2008, 12:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venka007 View Post
Hi Friends, I need you advice on timing to buy new Corolla Altis.
Do I wait till Jan to buy the car since it is September already? Also in case if there are any tweaks that needs to be done by the manufacturer based on the users' feedback, how long might it take?

Regards,
Venkat
If you like it go for it straight away! We are still in Sep and an confirmed 2009 manufactured model is still 4-5 months away. If you keep waiting - it can always be waiting (2009 is the last year of the decade)

Tweaks based on user feedback? I would doubt since these models are launched in several markets some earlier than India.
Old 13th September 2008, 14:00   #12
BHPian

February would be the best time to buy a Corolla, they would offer you a descent discount and the limited edition ALTIS in black would also be there.
Old 13th September 2008, 14:39   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Altis did take its sweet time to launch so Toyota must have had made sure there were nt many issues!!!
Though Japanese cars are definitely in the low-risk category, don't count on this entirely. Early Accord owners (previous gen) had major problems with their fuel pump. Not a pleasant experience to be stranded on the expressway in your brand new 20 lakh rupee luxobarge. Honda fixed it about 6 months after launch.
Old 13th September 2008, 16:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, TKM does not build the vehicles and test it and then improvize on that unlike tatas. Moreover, Altis is already launched in Thailand and other countries. The best time to buy as others suggested on Feb-09. You would be getting 2009 model and who knows you may also end up getting good discounts.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you like everything then buy now. If you want best discounts and deal on Altis then buy in December. In Jan no company gives discounts, but you get a new calender year thing. So my final suggestion will be either buy now or wait till 1 year and buy after Honda shows up their cards with new/updated Civic.

Another reason to wait could be upcoming new model launches. City3, Outlander, and same segmetn cars from hyundai and Chevy and also updated cars from honda, Skoda and VW..

Reason not to wait could be Altis becoming a hit like Desire. Then company will certainly increase at least 25 to 50 k on each model and also there could be a waiting time then.

Now have I increased the confusion??

Most Viewed