Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2005, 11:18   #1

Need your suggestions on Diesel car

Hi Bhpians, I am new to this site and I have read quite a few posts as I am planning for a diesel sedan and I cannot stretch my budget beyond 6 lakhs.

I have considered the following which fit into my budget...
Petra D - all about Fiat is known so I dont want to take any chances.

Ikon Diesel - I own a 1.6 and very satisfied with it and I have decided on the 1.8D Exi. I know that performance of both cannot be compared.

I have called up the dealers in hyderabad and as u are aware ford is giving free insurance and I am getting a corporate discount of 15000/- without any negotiations so may be i can squeeze in a little more..(upto 50,000 I guess)

1. All the ikon models meet only BS II norms and am planning to book the vehicle on 25th and dealer is asking a weeks time to deliver so can i get the vehicle registered after 1st April with BS II norms as hyderabad falls into the 11 cities.

2. I have confirmed with the dealer that BS III 1.8 would be only coming with an extra filter to meet the norms. my only concern is if they come up with a new engine after 1st April(or 2-3 months) then this would really be a bad deal.

All experts keeping in mind my budget, discounts & emission norms do you think i should go for it.

Accent & Viva crdi not in my budget.

Thanks
Vamshi
Old 21st March 2005, 11:57   #2
BHPian

Welcome aboard Vamshi. I'm also a Hyderabadi. Guys on this forum would be of real help. Didn't you even consider Indigo ??
Old 21st March 2005, 12:05   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Vamshi,

First off welcome to the board. Do your self a favour & please don't buy the Ikon 1.8D. Its too frustrating to drive with its pathetic engine. I'd much rather say go for the Indigo, save some money & enjoy the space in the car. Also, Indigo is better to drive the Ikon D. Believe me I've driven the 1.8 & its absolutely no good.
Old 21st March 2005, 12:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with RJ. the ikon 1.8D is a pathetic car to drive. dont even bother considering it.

and since you have decided not to consider fiat , the petra diesel is out too. that leaves you with only one choice - the most obvious one - the Tata Indigo.....but

The fiat petra diesel is a good car too , u can talk to satish appasani another hyderabad member to get feed back on fiat as he drives a palio-d. if you arent comfortable after that too..walk staight into the tata motors showroom

cheers
Old 21st March 2005, 12:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Vamshi

I too agree with the points put forward by NC and RJ. The ikon diesel just isnt worth it. The Ikon is best just in its petrol avtaar. Infact the car hardly sells aall. The Petra is a great car. Better to drive and awesome build quality but as obvious the after sales service puts you off. Sadly it goes against a very good product.

The Indigo would be your best best. You will get one well within your budget and you could spruce it up with alloys and tubeless tyres with the money you save. The car has an excellent FE city and highway.. so much space that even some upper mid sizers cant boast off , its extremely comfortable . Except for the slightly notchy gearbox you cant really fault it and the transmission will be upgraded in the newer models. Tata service is good and spares are not exp and are easily available. Its unbeatable value for money.

Test drive an Indigo diesel.. should serve your purpose and if you want a little more space check out the Marina too

Dippy
Old 21st March 2005, 13:02   #6
BHPian

ikon diesel aint that good

moreover maintainance of the petrol ikon is itself high... so can expect the same trend wid diesel

Wud certainly recommend the Indigo.... gr8 VFM
Old 21st March 2005, 13:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

hahaha,
for a change all of us have the same opinions when it comes to preferring diesel cars.

if you are looking for performance ,then just forget the 1.8D.the pick up is terrible.even a Bajaj M80 will outdrag it.and the PS simply sukkkks.
for overtaking long vehicles on the highway you have to be prepared to take some risks .also it requires planning to overatke other vehicles.
the ride is okay .
but the seats are just pathetic and not at all suitable for long drives.
i ahve also heard that the parts are quite expensive.

but when it comes to FE ,its superbbb.i recently got 23kpl at 60-80 kph without AC on the highway.

now that its been discontinued in E-3 cities,i suggest u avoid going for it.

but with your budget ,you really dont have a choice.you have the indigo Diesel or the petra D to select from.
if you can slightly stretch your budget,you can chose from the base Innova,the base Scorpio,the base Tavera.but all these are not sedans .

i vote for the petra D if its E-3 otherwise u have no option but to look at either the indigo sedan or the marina
Old 21st March 2005, 13:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since the viva crdi and accent crdi are out of the budget. The indigo/marina is the best bet. You wont regret buying it. As for the ikon 1.8D, others have said it all, nothing more to add.

Drifter
Old 22nd March 2005, 02:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The ikon 1.8D sux.
I wont elaborate on that however.
What you can get howver is an indigo LX.
Its a very good diesel car and since you cannot get a petra, this is the next best thing.
It has good FE, a good back seat and reasonable power.
Its way better then the ikon.
Infact, the interior quality is even better then that of the ikon.
Old 22nd March 2005, 09:29   #10

thank you all for your replies....I completely agree that indigo is a much better than Ikon but i really don't like the way it looks so never had that in mind...

may be with my budget i have to compromise on something. I will go check it out.

If I can stretch my budget? what do you guys think about viva crdi how abt its ride & handling and hows the back seat & leg room when compared to regular accent. your suggestions would be helpful...

thanks again bhpians
Old 22nd March 2005, 11:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

the viva CRDi is a good car with performance as good as a petrol car and also with very good FE.
but i dont think the handling is that good.at the Viva CRDi price,u can definitely get the Innova.
also the dicky space in the Viva should be lesser than the regular accent.
i suggest you have a look at the Innova also.
Old 22nd March 2005, 11:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

and to add to what satya has said..rear seat leg room is very cramped !
Old 22nd March 2005, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
and to add to what satya has said..rear seat leg room is very cramped !
I second that...in comparison to the indigo and ikon....the leg space is not much really if a tall driver is sitting up front. And after sitting in a baleno at the back, now i dont find the backseat of the accent comfortable.

The boot space is lesser on the viva than the regular saloon...handling is good for sedate speeds. At speeds there is noticeable body roll and the car posseses a tail happy nature (read the tail has a tendency to slide out).
ABS should be standard but its not.
But the power and torque for a diesel motor is really impressive....riding that wave of torque can be addictive. And FE is also really very good. About 13-14kmpl in town and 18-19kmpl on the highway.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 22nd March 2005 at 14:06.
Old 22nd March 2005, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vamsi

Welcome aboard. As n_c mentioned earlier, I own a Palio D. If you want any feedback on the car, we can meet sometime and talk. Also I am agreeing to allow you to test drive my car much longer than you get with the dealer unless you don't mess it like you do if it was a dealer's...

PM if you want to meet me...
Old 22nd March 2005, 15:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamshi_d
.......... and hows the back seat & leg room when compared to regular accent. your suggestions would be helpful...
Back seat of an Accent is a bad place to be in - the seat's too low for comfort.

Steer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks