Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 18:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Smitten by a Baleno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Did your son have just routine scheduled maintenance or also accident repairs ? Asking because the high cost pertains mainly to parts changed during accidents - headlamps, tail-lamps, EORVMs, A/c components etc.
The charges were for routine maintenance. My son went through 2 clutch plates and two sets of brake shoes in 60k km.

The accident cost are separate. In his third month of ownership he got hit from behind when stationary in a jam and had to replace parts in the front and rear. It came to over 1.5L, that is when we learnt of high spare parts costs compared to other MUL products.

Regarding scraping, yes one person barely manages, but two or more and even with Delhi's benign speed brakes the car scrapes until and unless you adopt proper driving technique - approach very slow at an angle.

What I was alluding to are the normal expenses incurred in cars bought second hand. It is very rare that you find immaculately maintained cars in the market. In my experience, generally, people who sell cars after three or our years of ownership do not care much, skimp on regular maintenance and then sell off before major maintenance jobs are due.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
My son went through 2 clutch plates and two sets of brake shoes in 60k km.
Dont know about clutch, but the brake-shoes are the result of MASS' inflating service bill. In my case, MASS said the brake-shoes are almost gone and need to be replaced when I did the 30K service. Since it seemed too early, I asked them to hold on.

At 40K service, I asked Electra (independent garage) whether brake shoes need replacement - they said the shoes are good and dont need replacement. I am at 48K kms now and the brakes are good. So ...
Old 1st May 2011, 01:31   #63
BHPian

spent an entire day trudging along in the sun from dealer to dealer. Seems overnight itself all the good balenos dissapeared. feeling so frustrated. One more day tomorrow and then it will be down to the next week.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

@manolin, did you check the TBHP-Classifieds for Balenos on sale in your area ?
Old 1st May 2011, 02:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The charges were for routine maintenance. My son went through 2 clutch plates and two sets of brake shoes in 60k km.

I had one clutch plate change at 66k, that too not because it was worn because someone told my wife that the clutch will become "soft" if you change it. Well, one could not argue and had to change. Barring this I had a O2 Sensor change (The Alto sensor fits and I bought it at 2.2 k instead of the original at 6.5k) and a set of brake pads at around 55k.

Yes the parts are expensive but they do not break down often! I have found this to be a car as reliable as they come. Mine is a 2005 Lxi that has done 70k kms
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 09:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
@manolin, did you check the TBHP-Classifieds for Balenos on sale in your area ?
Yup I did. No Balenos listed for delhi right now.
Old 13th May 2011, 21:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My son had a Baleno Lxi for five years. The car is excellent and the Ac best in the market. But, and there are a lot of buts

2. As this car has a tremendous engine, most of the pieces coming to the market have been driven hard. Any repairs and you are dependent on Japanese parts.

3. The GC is really low, as bad as the old Honda City, and you will scrape every speed breaker you encounter.
Not sure about other point, but scrapping certainly depends on the person who drives it.

I have not scrapped more than a couple of times in Baleno (guess 15" wheel might have helped) but trust me if ya slow down and take speed breaker carefully ya will not scrape. I can guarantee this cos Bangalore has the worst speed breakers i have seen and near my house there are 3 (sure contenders to be the top among the worst speed breakers of Bangy)

The couple of times i scrapped was purely cos of my mistake of not slowing down the car properly
Old 31st May 2011, 19:33   #68
BHPian

Purchased a Baleno !!

I purchased a Baleno last week. I am enclosing the details for your reference.

Place : Kochi.
Model : 2005 (Purchase date 16 Dec 2005)
Version VXi
Color : Golden.
Single Owner.
91000 kms run.
All service history available.
Brand new battery.
2 new tyres.
LPG Kit endorsed in RC.
Very clean and neat. I fell in love in the first sight itself
Owner was the Managing Director of a Company. He purchased a new Cruz. That is why he is selling it.
Purchase price : 1.8 Lakhs.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

@KMohanan, other than the 91K mileage (not that it is an issue), the deal looks sweet.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
@KMohanan, other than the 91K mileage (not that it is an issue), the deal looks sweet.
Thank you. I have driven nearly 500 kms now. Vehicle is very smooth. This is the first time I am enjoying the Automatic Climate Control System. Also, the tilt steering, electrically adjustable side mirrors, alloy wheels, spoiler with stop lights... all for the first time. But, I may be the only person in and around Kochi who is driving a Baleno 50-70 kmph !!! I like slow driving...
Old 6th June 2011, 12:11   #71
BHPian

Congrats KMohanan on the Baleno. The AC is one of the best in class and will always deligth you. I did not know baleno gave Automatic climate control in 2005 model.

Happy driving. Take it on the highway sometime. You will certainly enjoy the drive.
Old 6th June 2011, 20:49   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I did not know baleno gave Automatic climate control in 2005 model.
It is purchased on 16 Dec 2005. So, it must be 2005 End model. It is having the automatic control, where we can set the desired temperature (with digital readout) using a rotary knob. I am feeling comfortable at the setting of 24 deg.

One observation on the Baleno. I could drive the Baleno smoothly (on normal road without gutters) at 40 kmph in fifth gear and at 30 kmph in fourth gear !!! This is with the AC on. Surprising. Even the lightest Nano LX which I have needs atleast 50 kmph (with AC on) to drive smoothly in fourth gear.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
One observation on the Baleno. I could drive the Baleno smoothly (on normal road without gutters) at 40 kmph in fifth gear and at 30 kmph in fourth gear !!! This is with the AC on. Surprising. Even the lightest Nano LX which I have needs atleast 50 kmph (with AC on) to drive smoothly in fourth gear.
You missed the torque of the 3rd gear. That's where the beauty of the G16B lies. She can cruise along in the 3rd gear without knocking through city traffic.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 6th June 2011 at 21:40.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan
This is the first time I am enjoying the Automatic Climate Control System. Also, the tilt steering, electrically adjustable side mirrors, alloy wheels, spoiler with stop lights... all for the first time.
So looks like you are being spoiled. The only stuff that the VXi misses are ABS and airbags.

Quote:
But, I may be the only person in and around Kochi who is driving a Baleno 50-70 kmph !
The beauty of this car is that it makes low-speed driving as much a pleasure, as it is to revv her. No need to keep changing gears - clutch usage to a bare minimum. Almost an automatic with gears.

Quote:
I could drive the Baleno smoothly (on normal road without gutters) at 40 kmph in fifth gear and at 30 kmph in fourth gear !!! This is with the AC on. Surprising. Even the lightest Nano LX which I have needs atleast 50 kmph (with AC on) to drive smoothly in fourth gear.
This is something I miss on my Dad's 1.3P Swift (the K12 engine fixes this though) at Kerala - it needs minimum 50kmph with a/c for 5th gear. The low-end torque of the Baleno helps the car move smoothly at low speeds in high gear, contributing to FE and limiting gear-changes.

Drive in thick traffic (am sure you have it in Cochin) and you will get to know more of her capabilities. In Chennai when traffic is moving very slowly, I leave the car in 2nd gear, feet off all pedals, just using brakes occasionally to adjust speed - have seen the car move at rpms as low as 350, without any problem.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:42   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
It is purchased on 16 Dec 2005. So, it must be 2005 End model. It is having the automatic control, where we can set the desired temperature (with digital readout) using a rotary knob. I am feeling comfortable at the setting of 24 deg.

Cool. I have a end 2006 model Vxi and 24/23 is what i set the temp at. And yes Baleno is an excellent car in city traffic and low speeds. Try ripping it on the highway. It is fun.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks