Team-BHP - Smitten by a Baleno!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Smitten by a Baleno! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/45771-smitten-baleno.html)

Hello ppl

I am from Banglore and currently drive a Swift (VXI,2006 model), a week back I had gone to take the delivery of my car after her third service, since there was some delay in the delivery so i thought of checking out some of the Baleno's in the true value division.

Took a test drive of one of the cars there, this one was a 2005 model, VXI, having done around 40K. To my surprise the car drove really well,it was so much more responsive than the Swift, infact the way this Baleno pulled was far better than Swift. Afterwards I was finding the Swift's performance as lacklusture. ( Though I must mention, it couldn't beat Swift's Go Kart like steering feel )

So my doubt here, inspite of the BHP figures in both the cars being almost same, why there is so much difference in their pick up.

Is it the extra 300 CC that Baleno has or is it that the BHP figures are blown up.

What ever it was , I was smitten by the Baleno and started thinking of buying one. But after they quoted 4.5 L for this one, I had to rollback my plans. Nonetheless I told them to contact me if they find a cheaper example.

Recently I was contacted by the true value guys and they told me about this 2005 model Black Baleno LXI.

This one is a 2005 model, done 19K, though I couldn't take a test drive but the body looked clean, it had 195/60 R14 Good year f1 on Swift steel rim.
The price quoted was 4 L, I want to know How much should I tell them to come down to, my guess is somewhere around 3.5L (which is the max I can offer) is a good offer.
Please tell me if I am being too optimistic or can I haggle for more.

Can someone please tell me what are the performence figure for Baleno are, like 0-100 KM/h times and Top Speed.

Also I was thinking of two other cars having 1600CC under their hood and under my budget, the IKON 1.6 and the Palio 1.6.
What spoils my peace of mind is, when I think of IKON's iconic spare parts prices and for the Palio, its the award winning fiat service. But still would like to know, performance wise which is a better car among the above three.

Or can I also include OHC 1.5 (not VTEC) under my budget, Gosh! I feel so confused

please help me out.

Regards

Kaustuv

baleno is a generation ahead of swift in terms of engine. baleno touches 0 to 100 in around 12.4 secs. and you can easily drive it 160-170 efforlessly. i own one for past 8 years. its a fantastic machine.

4 Lakhs is a bit too much for a 3yr old car, that too after the new Baleno ie the SX4 is launched, take a TD of a City (02-03model) the one with crystal lights and also of a VTec i am sure you will fall in love with it.

I saw one, couple of weeks back at JP Nagar Mandovi, and it is a know fact that they had placed it at a over-priced bracket.

Guess they will wait for someone to turns up, and if this does not work for a long time, then bring it down!

@Kaustuv

Quote:

Took a test drive of one of the cars there, this one was a 2005 model, VXI, having done around 40K. To my surprise the car drove really well,it was so much more responsive than the Swift, infact the way this Baleno pulled was far better than Swift. Afterwards I was finding the Swift's performance as lacklusture.
Was this a pearl silver Baleno with bridgestone potenza tubeless tyres at Pratham Motors Sarjapur ring road in mint condition ?

:)

Regards - Vaseem

kautuv-baleno is an excellent choice, i been using a baleno which i bought in 2004 brand new and has done 90000km, no problem till now.
madhokritesh-lookswise and power hondacity vtec would be better than a baleno,but, ride[baleno has got independent suspension at the rear too] a/c,maintanence,baleno is superior than a honda city vtec.

Just for reference and comparision.. A friend picked up a 2006 baleno done 35000kms on the odo for Rs. 3.65L

I'd say Baleno is an excellent choice. I was also looking for one, but for now I've just kept my plans on hold.
You can ger really good cars in the 3.5-4L range. It has excellent low-down torque forr city driving and highway cruising is a dream. The car handles really well and its a value for money product. Offers everything of a higher end car at a good price.

Is swift 94 bhp (Thats Baleno)?
I remember reading that Swift petrol churns out ~85 bhp.

So thats a ~10 bhp difference.

Then comes the difference in the weight of the vehicle.
Baleno, Esteem, OHC - all these are very light vehicle - hence the extra responsiveness.

Note From MOD: Please restrict the discussion to Suggesting a Sedan to the original poster as per his requirements

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaustuv
To my surprise the car drove really well,it was so much more responsive than the Swift, infact the way this Baleno pulled was far better than Swift. Afterwards I was finding the Swift's performance as lacklusture.

Since I drive both my Baleno and my Dad's Swift, I can see the point you are making.

Compared to the Baleno's performance, the Swift-P is no where near.
Be it city traffic where you can just crawl along with the Baleno's awesome torque even in 3rd gear OR in highways where overtaking is not a pain even in 4th / 5th gears. With the Swift, I find the need to keep changing gears in city traffic and on highways, if I am cruising and have to slow down, then gaining back the lost speed requires quite some effort.

But then both these cars are different segments and it doesn't make sense to compare them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaustuv
So my doubt here, inspite of the BHP figures in both the cars being almost same, why there is so much difference in their pick up. Is it the extra 300 CC that Baleno has or is it that the BHP figures are blown up.

IMO, the main thing is that the Swift has 4 bhp less (7bhp if E-2 Baleno) than Baleno, but 50kgs more to pull. The Swift's engine was a stonker when paired with the 100kg lighter Esteem, but it definitely is not a match for the heavier Swift. And ofcourse the extra displacement does play a role in making the Baleno a fun to drive car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohit
The engine of current Swift is terrible! The car is too heavy for a small engine.

The engine was good for the Esteem, but not a right match for the heavier Swift. As you rightly said, "The car is too heavy for a small engine".

The big difference could be in the driving experience, not much in power. The swift feels heavier than the baleno. And of course Baleno has a superior P/W ratio too.

in 4L you can easily get a well maintained OHC vtec which is a better drivers car overall. You get unmatched performance and refinement, something which you cant get in any other used car within 4 lacs(except mondeo). And that honda engine is immortal. Baleno no doubt is a good car but then vtec is vtec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashish22 (Post 978214)
in 4L you can easily get a well maintained OHC vtec which is a better drivers car overall. You get unmatched performance and refinement, something which you cant get in any other used car within 4 lacs(except mondeo). And that honda engine is immortal. Baleno no doubt is a good car but then vtec is vtec.

I would like to agree with Ashish on this. One of my friends got OHC a few months back. Its a 2005 model (not sure if its Vtec or not) and has done 35k kms. He got it for 3.7L

Coming to Baleno, 4L is too much. Have been driven in a baleno and its an awesome car as well with a very good suspension. I think anything in the 3-3.5L bracket is a good deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashish22 (Post 978214)

agree:

If you can manage to find a well kept OHC Vtec under 4L with low mileage on the odo.. nothing like it!
The OHC Vtec is in a different league altogether, the build quality and refinment is better than the baleno. (This comes from a Baleno Lover)
Though the OHC spares a relatively expensive compared to the baleno..