Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 15:26   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aha, long time since we compared the OHC to the Baleno. IMHO either of these cars are great used buys, reliable and will keep you happy in the long run. I would recommend (and have chosen) the Vtec over the Baleno to an enthusiast. The 1.5 106BHP is a gem of an engine and an absolute delight to high-revv...it feels more special than any C segmenter I have driven till date. The Vtec is quicker in stock form, but the Baleno has superior road manners. The Baleno will also score in terms of seating comfort and ride quality. WRT maintenance, my Vtec has proven dirt cheap to maintain. Except for a fuel pump that conked off due to my brother's carelessness, not a single part failure yet. I presume some Baleno parts may work out more expensive due to import content + lower volumes....Baleno owners will be able to comment better. You will be hard-pressed to find a well-maintained Vtec with a mileage <60K in your budget.

It's a close match, though the Baleno does edge out the Vtec on practicality (better seats + ride quality + road manners). Heart = Vtec. Head = Baleno.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2008 at 15:28.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

As someone pointed out its very difficult to find out a well maintainted HONDA low mileage car up for sale at a reasonable price.

I agree with Amitoj. Keep looking for both the cars in the used market and finalize either of the model car that suits your requirement perfect.

Most probably it would be a BALENO
Old 17th September 2008, 15:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks DocG - I also thought baleno would be the better of the 2 for my requirement but there was always this FTD factor associated with OHC and heart always said OHC so thought it worthy to check on T-Bhp (what better place than here)

Thanks to Bhargava and Sudipto
The car that you posted the link for is already sold Bhargava.
And Sudipto, i was also skeptical about old maruti, only for rattling issues that its notorious for.

@Esteemlover, you are right when you say a well maintained Vtec is nowhere close to my budget in bangalore, but always had this flicker of hope that i might land up with one.. Lets see how it goes this weekend when i go used car hunting!!!

@amitoj - thank you sir, will follow your advice and keep my options open till the last minute that i seal the deal.

@kutlee - right again, OHC is very pricey at least here in bangalore and thanks for your suggestions.

@rjstyles - thanks mate, me too hoping to find a good baleno and stick to it. but hoping somewhere to find one and land up with a Vtec out of the blue!!

@snaronikar - thank you snaronikar sir, will definitely consult on t-bhp before bargaining for a good deal on a used baleno/Vtec if i am lucky to land with one.

@kpzen - the scales seem to be tilting towards the baleno. never know i might end up with one by the end of next week!! Thanks for your suggestion.

@airwind - i would rather stay away from a Ford, as there is this cousin of mine who took a used 1.6 and ended up having to constantly get things replaced/repaired etc but the cost of spares was also very steep when compared to other manufacturers. Thanks anyways for your suggestion. I might be mistaken about the spares for Ford but the general belief is that they are costly.

@GTO - Spot on bro, you caught me there.. Head - Baleno, Heart - City, this is the same state i am in at the moment.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught Between The Beauty And The Beast?

Go for the Baleno - if you can lay hands on one with 14" alloys,that would be great.

I ride in a 4 year oldVxi almost everyday and can vouch for the comfort it provides ;both front seat and backseat.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
As someone pointed out its very difficult to find out a well maintainted HONDA low mileage car up for sale at a reasonable price.

I agree with Amitoj. Keep looking for both the cars in the used market and finalize either of the model car that suits your requirement perfect.

Most probably it would be a BALENO
I also think it will be the Baleno mate.. Let me see! Will definitely keep this thread updated with what i end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Go for the Baleno - if you can lay hands on one with 14" alloys,that would be great.

I ride in a 4 year oldVxi almost everyday and can vouch for the comfort it provides ;both front seat and backseat.
Thanks Som - u put the analogy somewhat right.. Caught between the beauty and beast Am on the look out!!
Old 18th September 2008, 03:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

whats with resale value of OHC's down south

while buying my car in chandigarh in august i came across some amazing type 2 OHC's 2003 models in excellent condition most of them being 1.5's including 2 Vtecs(which were not in a great shape)all of them were goin for like 3.2-3.5 negotiable price tags.

I almost fell for a mint OHC 2003 model,but didnt get family's approval since according to them dont buy anything that is out of productions:(
Old 18th September 2008, 04:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents..have a Baleno 2005 model which has done 50K over the past three years

- The OC engine feel a bit silkier compared to the baleno..but Baleno's does not make a racket either and is reasonably free revving ( you can see 100+ kmph in 2nd gear)
- Maintenance - I have not spent any money till now...not even a fused bulb and the car is generally pretty reliable and rust free
- Rattles in Baleno are generally not that big an issue..my car is more or less rattle free..this is surprising but the Baleno doors do shut with a more satisfying "thunk"
compared to te other maruti models
- REar seat is pretty comfy in the Baleno and you can get 1. a centre armrest as well as 2. electrically adjustible mirrors. 3. Tilt adjustible steering .all of which you will not find in OHC (maybe tilt steering)
- OHC Vtec is faster than Baleno...with OHC I believe the Baleno is faster while others have different opinions..a pretty close battle nonetheless

net net..keep your options open a go for the better deal..generally avoid cars more than 5 years old as the plastics start aging and you will not feel comfortable taking the car out on long drives due to perceived lack of reliability

Last edited by Buffetfan : 18th September 2008 at 04:57.
Old 18th September 2008, 11:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

i Guess since it is a close match, if you can up the budget, you can keep watching for both the cars. In case if you get low mileage, good condition OHC for around 4 laks say, there is nothing like it. Happy hunting. Concentrate on the condition and usage rather than the make.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The 1.5 106BHP is a gem of an engine and an absolute delight to high-revv..
Isn't the OHC1.5 100bhp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
Concentrate on the condition and usage rather than the make.
I agree. Rather than thinking in terms of Baleno or OHC, concentrate on getting a well-maintained specimen which has been used less.
Old 18th September 2008, 13:12   #25
BHPian

supreme baleno he's talking about the BHP of stock vtec i.e. 106 BHP. 1.5 non vtec on the other hand is 100 BHP stock.

abhinav both are excellent buys. Your decision should depend on the best condition you can get for either of the car. But if you ask me..there's nothing like owning an OHC!
Old 18th September 2008, 13:22   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Isn't the OHC1.5 100bhp ?
Vtec = 106BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
- REar seat is pretty comfy in the Baleno
That is a massive advantage if the back seat is going to be used frequently. The Vtec's rear bench is a mess....too low and zilch thigh support.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Found an OHC hiding in TN

Thanks a lot to Buffetfan for the wealth of info on the Baleno.

Thanks to kutlee, ashish, supremebaleno & GTO as well for providing info.

Now friends, please let me know if this is a good deal.

OHC 2003 model
Champagne Gold color (i think thats what it is called)
TN registration (comments on the cost of transfer please)
Mileage - 55000 kms done
Tyres - New set of OE specification tyres which has run 5000kms till date.
Battery - 3 months old
Interiors - Stock
Engine - Stock
Insurance - Third Party only
Owner - 2nd Owner (i will be 3rd if i go for it)
Now for the big question.... Asking price...??
4.5L

This is a deal which i got to know through my friend. The car is in his home town Coimbatore.

Please let me know how this deal is. I am ready to stretch upto 4.2-4.25L but cannot go a pie beyond that at this moment. The only worrying factor is the absence of comprehensive insurance and the asking price for a 2nd owner vehicle seems to be on the higher side.

Comments and suggestions
Old 18th September 2008, 14:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Now friends, please let me know if this is a good deal.

OHC 2003 model
Champagne Gold color (i think thats what it is called)
TN registration (comments on the cost of transfer please)
Mileage - 55000 kms done
Tyres - New set of OE specification tyres which has run 5000kms till date.
Battery - 3 months old
Interiors - Stock
Engine - Stock
Insurance - Third Party only
Owner - 2nd Owner (i will be 3rd if i go for it)
Now for the big question.... Asking price...??
4.5L

This is a deal which i got to know through my friend. The car is in his home town Coimbatore.
Abhinav, the prices look OK to me because prices in Coimbatore are normally a bit on the higher side compared to even Bangalore. Do check with the RTO/Road Tax issues as you may have to pay atleast 25K towards that (if not more).

Since the car is in Coimbatore, I can run a background check and inspect it for you if you want. Feel free to PM me for help regarding this.

P.S: If the car has beige interiors, then the colour should be "Naples Gold"... same as mine, one of the easiest colours to maintain.

Last edited by quicksilver : 18th September 2008 at 14:29.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Abhinav, the prices look OK to me because prices in Coimbatore are normally a bit on the higher side compared to even Bangalore. Do check with the RTO/Road Tax issues as you may have to pay atleast 25K towards that (if not more).

Since the car is in Coimbatore, I can run a background check and inspect it for you if you want. Feel free to PM me for help regarding this.

P.S: If the car has beige interiors, then the colour should be "Naples Gold"... same as mine, one of the easiest colours to maintain.
Hey quicksilver, thanks for a speedy response. Yes it has beige interiors as informed by my friend.

Oh my God! 25k just for road tax. I think i might have to let go of this deal. I will contact the RTO guys and find out how much i have to pay today over the phone. I have an RTO agent who used to help us out with stuff earlier. Will contact him and find out.

Thanks a lot for your offer to inspect and background check the vehicle mate. I had to rely on one of the fellow T-Bhpians from Coimbatore since my friend is not very good with cars and cannot rely on him for inspection. Now i know whom to contact. If the road tax and transfer charges, touch-wood are not as high as you say they are, then i might clinch the deal. I have to check if the owner is ready for negotiations on the price.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Oh my God! 25k just for road tax. I think i might have to let go of this deal. I will contact the RTO guys and find out how much i have to pay today over the phone. I have an RTO agent who used to help us out with stuff earlier. Will contact him and find out.....

If the road tax and transfer charges, touch-wood are not as high as you say they are, then i might clinch the deal. I have to check if the owner is ready for negotiations on the price.
Well, I do hope so, but going by Samurai's experience with re-registering the Jeep (on a separate thread) and some other similar experiences, I thought you'd be asked to pay the road tax after depreciation. Let me know how much they say/feel you have to pay as it will be an eye opener for me too.

Rest, don't worry about thanking me pal, just a simple help for another (prospective) OHC owner.

Most Viewed