Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 22:40   #1
BHPian

Buying a Second hand Esteem

Hi Guys,

Need some help from the gurus.

I am in the market for a second hand Esteem. Model should be 2005 or later. Single owner. Low mileage. Preferably Vxi. I have been offered a 2006 Sept. Esteem Lxi by Maruti True Value in Bombay for Rs. 2.60L. Additional 10K for transfer and insurance. No accessories. No ICE. Run 20K (genuine - I think) Kms. Original (poor) JK tyres. Single Owner. Bodywork in pretty good condition. Bombay registered. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys?

Please, please reply asap as I am about to finalise the deal in the next couple of days. (It would cost at least another 40K to fit decent film, seat covers, ICE, central locking (remote) etc.)

Kind Regards,
Suzuki San
Old 17th September 2008, 23:58   #2
BHPian

Would like to say the deal does not sound so tempting. Try going for some other source's. Are they offering any kind of warranty?
Old 18th September 2008, 00:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Suzuki_San,

The offer seems to be a decent one if not a tempting one at that. 20k kms for 2 years seems pretty genuine if you consider 10k kms a year for a 2 year old car. Since you say that the tyres are original ones, check out the wear on them. It should not be too much since it has only done 20k kms and should last you another 25-30k atleast.

Also you might like to check out the classifieds section of T-Bhp. I have seen quite a few esteems for sale in the sedans section. Check it out and see if any of them do the trick for you!!
Old 18th September 2008, 14:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell boy View Post
Would like to say the deal does not sound so tempting. Try going for some other source's. Are they offering any kind of warranty?
Hi Hellboy,
Yes! Usual one year warranty from Maruti. Same as for a new car. Also 3 free services. Any particular reason why you say it is not tempting? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

SS.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Hey Suzuki_San,

The offer seems to be a decent one if not a tempting one at that. 20k kms for 2 years seems pretty genuine if you consider 10k kms a year for a 2 year old car. Since you say that the tyres are original ones, check out the wear on them. It should not be too much since it has only done 20k kms and should last you another 25-30k atleast.

Also you might like to check out the classifieds section of T-Bhp. I have seen quite a few esteems for sale in the sedans section. Check it out and see if any of them do the trick for you!!
Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I also thought it was a fair deal. Tyres are in good shape. However, as per Tbhp rules (only kidding), I would probably change to Michelins XM1+ in the near future.

Have been through the Tbhp classifieds time and time again but nothing there that applies to my requirements. Will however check again.

Many Thanks,
SS
Old 18th September 2008, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I also thought it was a fair deal. Tyres are in good shape. However, as per Tbhp rules (only kidding), I would probably change to Michelins XM1+ in the near future.

Have been through the Tbhp classifieds time and time again but nothing there that applies to my requirements. Will however check again.

Many Thanks,
SS
Tbhp rules that was a good one!!

And yeah i know you will change the tyres once you get your car. But its only a diagnostic to let you know if the mileage is genuine or not.. If you have already gone through the classifieds, then i think you have to look out elsewhere, as most of them are old ads which were posted way back in july/aug 08, which i think you would have already seen.
Old 31st October 2008, 19:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Esteem Vxi 2004

Hi all,
I didn't want to start a new thread for my query as I found this to be a better thread to use.
I have got an offer for a second hand Esteem Vxi model from a direct seller who is upgrading the car.
These are the specs:
  • Model - Dec 2003 Registration in 2004
  • Vxi with front two power windows + Power steering (Not sure if it is EPS or HPS)
  • No Comprehensive insurance. Only third party done which has expired couple of months back.
  • Done 42,000 KMs ans still running on stock tyres with decent tread left.
  • ICE - MP3 player + amp + subwoofer + 2 speakers (All Pioneer). One thing for sure is the ICE rocks.
  • Price quoted - 2.15 Lakhs
  • As such, no problems with the engine and the car is accident free
  • Only thing was, the clutch lever is a little tight which the person says can be corrected by changing the clutch wire.
  • I might have to get the car serviced once from a MSS after I take up the delivery as the car has always been maintained by the local mechanics of the garage the current owner's cousin owns.
Since this is my first car and not being aware much about the prices, I would need the help of Team BHPians in this regard. Is the price quoted right? Shall I go ahead with the deal?

Nice to be a part of Team BHP. Thanks Mods for accepting my registartion.
Old 31st October 2008, 20:07   #8
BHPian

@threadstarter
carwale shows 3.9L for a 06 esteem lxi. you sure its true value? cos they always quote way above the market price.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:04   #9
BANNED

i dont know about hyd but in punjab esteem sells much cheaper than a zen its around 180000. if am not wrong vxi has all 4 power windows. + you have to get the car insured and extra cost of registeration.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Vxi with front two power windows + Power steering (Not sure if it is EPS or HPS)
  • VXi has power windows on all four doors. Only the LXi has power windows in front and manual ones at the back. Did you check them out ?
  • There is no EPS in Esteem. It is obviously a HPS.
  • If the stock tyres are JK tyres, please get rid of them asap.

Last edited by rr_zen : 31st October 2008 at 23:09.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
  • VXi has power windows on all four doors. Only the LXi has power windows in front and manual ones at the back. Did you check them out ?
  • There is no EPS in Esteem. It is obviously a HPS.
  • If the stock tyres are JK tyres, please get rid of them asap.
This VXi is 2003 model with the big rear brake lamps covering the whole bumper. The new VXi which was released after that had a different rear and probably came with 4 power windows! I am pretty sure it's a Vxi but still not very sure about the make of the tyres. Whatever the tyres are, I am going to upgrade them within a week if I acquire this car with cool alloys as suggested by the other BHPians in this forum.
I had driven this piece after 3 beers, in Hyderabad traffic and I am in love with it except for the price which I am not sure if it's the correct value I will be paying for it.
By the way, my loan is not from a bank, My mom is lending me the money which I am sure to repay within 4 months with a sal of 60k+ per month
Old 1st November 2008, 08:48   #12
BANNED

it may be lxi converted to vxi . so check thoroughly. i think vxi has fabric instead of standard door trims
Old 1st November 2008, 09:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think 2.15 for 2004 VXi is good deal.
Not sure about the penalty/fine for the insurance portion. Do check them too.
Stock tyre needs to be changed.
You can try for 2L quoting these.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
This VXi is 2003 model with the big rear brake lamps covering the whole bumper. The new VXi which was released after that had a different rear and probably came with 4 power windows!
I have a 2000 Esteem Vx, which comes with Power windows on all four. So, I guess yours should have it on all four, if it is indeed a VXi
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:23   #15
BHPian

I believe if you take to MASS they will charge between 5 to 10K atleast for full service as you may need to change other oils apart from engine oil. Also you need to get it insured which would be roughly 5 to 6K. New set of tyres along with alloys means atleast +40K so in total you need to spend around 60K+ to get the car moving once it comes in your hand.
Hope you have calculated this

Most Viewed