Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2006, 09:32   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
If petrol, what variant would one recommend for 4L and under.
I think all the petrol Indicas fit under 4 lakhs. You'd need to decide whether you want the gizmos now or later - if you don't like tampering with the car later, go for the fully loaded Xeta GLX.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:55   #47
BHPian

Lastly I did a rough calculation on annual cost of ownership for 4 years between Baleno LXi and Indigo considering buying cost (6.5L baleno and 6.25 on road for Indigo EuroIII), FE for both at 12 in town, 16 on highway, 2 services for baleno and 3 for indigo, 15000Km annual run (7.5k in town / 7.5k on highway) and the resale value. The calculation says I'll spend about 1L more on baleno at the end of 4 years.

Umesh, you won't spend an extra L on Baleno. You have calculated the cost of Baleno to be 6.5 L. You'll get the Lxi at < 5.50 L. It's awesome VFM. However, if you are going to be clocking more than 90 Kms/day then buy a diesel. The oil prices are heading north again and very soon.
Old 24th May 2006, 13:21   #48
BHPian

well to start with iam not a fan of tata cars at all

read in auto car last month, skoda fabia hatchback will be here soon....why not go for it, u get the space, looks, best deisel engine, and the skoda logo on the steering wheel......

if u r looking at only these two options then baleno winds over indigo any day...and the customer service from maruti u wil adore it
Old 24th May 2006, 15:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

I suggest that you wait for the new Diesel Fusion. It is a small as you like it and can still pack a bit of luggage. It will have the new 1400cc DuraTorq engine.
Old 24th May 2006, 15:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi jyobeb,

Where is this Diesel Fusion coming? Your source of info please..??
Old 24th May 2006, 15:50   #51
Senior - BHPian

I think i'd agree with drifter..The accent CRDi rocks. We have the Accent CRDi as well as the Indigo LX..The only place where the Indigo scores over the accent is in rear leg room. Also the ability to get one wheel [1 side] off road if a trucker decides to muscle you is BETTER in an Indigo.

I drive the accent and have rarely sat in the rear, so if you are the driver then accent is the way to go.. Gets a little noisy above 140 to 150 Kmph whereas Indigo is good upto 120 only..
Old 24th May 2006, 15:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Both cars depreciate the same.. Max..value wise..
Old 24th May 2006, 17:22   #53
Team-BHP Support

luvjascha, your confusion about whether to go for a petrol or a diesel is kind of pretty usual. It has also been answered so many times on the forum.

Let me give you a few bullet points here...
  • Barring a lemon that you may land up with, all the cars, irrespective of their fuel types, are mostly reliable nowadays. When I say reliable I do not mean some small niggles like a bulb going kaput or the cabin light flickering at times or some such.
  • Conventional wisdom of a minimum amount of kms that you need to run everyday to justify a diesel stems from the fact that historically diesels have always costed much more than the petrols. So primarily to recover that extra dough you spend you need to cover those extra kms to justify the costs. That and of course the fact that a diesel over a longer period may require more attention compared to a petrol. A diesel on account of its higher weight will eat up the rubber faster than a lighter petrol (my answer to that has always been... yeah, why not... ride a bicycle, its the lightest wheels you can get).
  • Diesels require that you are religious about your service interval. If it requires a service at every 5k then that is non-negotiable. You better get the oil-change and filter changes done in time or shed tears later. This is a bit different from petrols... particularly Marutis. My neighbour has a khataara M800 (1994 vintage) that he last serviced in 2002 March. Since then he is just running it. It groans and creaks and shrieks but nonetheless cranks to life every morning afterall.
  • The fact about you can not keep your diesel car standing still for 2 days in a row has be the biggest BS I am hearing since eternity! There is no black magic here that the engine automatically gets damaged because it was not started for 2 days. In fact it will crank to life on the first attempt if you took proper care before you left it. I should know... I leave it parked for 20-30 days at least once a year.
Now lets look at your Indica fetish. If you have some 4lakhs to spare and you do not mind buying a petrol and still buy an Indica without even considering anything at all then it has to be a fetish. Otherwise a knowledgeable decision is ok. In fact, my personal belief is that Indica petrol is a real VFM deal...particularly the Xeta.

About the diesel Indica, well... I own one since the last 1 year approx and have another one in the family since last 3 years+. I know one thing. The NVH used to be very high with this car. But with every version it has kept going down. Today's Indica diesel makes very less noise compared to what it did even 3-4 years back. At 40-50kmph on 4 gear or at 60kmph in 5th you won't even be able to make much of a difference between a regular petrol and diesel. The wind noise will be far higher than the engine noise.

On the cost fronts, after a year with my car, I can say that every 5000 kms your regular service will cost around 1200 odd rupees for oil and filter change. Thats it. If it is paid service another 650 odd rupees will be the labor cost. You will discover that it is not any different from a comparable petrol car. In fact the cost of parts and service is very very competitive with the Indicas.

On the running costs I think you can safely calculate at 16kmpl FE in-city at the diesel costs for the regular Indica. Highway FE will be at least 19-20kmpl. In fact elsewhere on this forum I did an elaborate calculation to show the savings on FE for a diesel vis-a-vis petrol. You cna search for it.
Old 19th June 2006, 16:22   #54
BHPian

Question

Ok, I've read about the pros and cons of buying a diesel or petrol vehicle. My question...

Let us say I have a budget for about 8-9 lacs. I can find petrol (For eg. NHC, Optra etc.) and diesel (Fiesta, Accent CRDi, Scorpio, etc.)
1. Since budget is fixed the options are also fixed. There is no real premium that I'll pay on for diesel, since the comparison in budget based and not really category based.
2. The ~Rs15 price diff between petrol and diesel implies immediate saving on the diesel vehicle.
3. Maintanence is probably not going to be so huge as diesel tech has come a long way.
4. My monthly EMI would still be around the same as the loan amount is going to be a constant.
So irrespective of the number of miles I'll clock on a diesel vehicle, it will still be worth it....
Does this make sense or am I missing some thing?
-Madhav
Old 20th June 2006, 02:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Check out a similar calculation I did sometime ago...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...nt+Crdi+Baleno
Old 20th June 2006, 10:36   #56
BHPian

Your calculation tipped the scale towards baleno because of the 2.5lacs price difference between the baleno and the accent. But what if the baleno was never an option and you were considering the city or optra? Then the price you pay for the car is the almost the same (give or take a few thousands).
The the insurance and EMI are all the same and the savings are immediate with every liter for diesel you use up!!
So my question is should I consider a diesel vehicle in the same price segment irrespective of the mileage I clock?
Old 20th June 2006, 10:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
1. Since budget is fixed the options are also fixed. There is no real premium that I'll pay on for diesel, since the comparison in budget based and not really category based.
2. The ~Rs15 price diff between petrol and diesel implies immediate saving on the diesel vehicle.
3. Maintanence is probably not going to be so huge as diesel tech has come a long way.
4. My monthly EMI would still be around the same as the loan amount is going to be a constant.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Does this make sense or am I missing some thing?
Makes perfect sense. Go diesel. Given the same budget, your savings start immediately.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

About the diesel Indica, well... I own one since the last 1 year approx and have another one in the family since last 3 years+. I know one thing. The NVH

On the cost fronts, after a year with my car, I can say that every 5000 kms your regular service will cost around 1200 odd rupees for oil and filter change. Thats it. If it is paid service another 650 odd rupees will be the labor cost. You will discover that it is not any different from a comparable petrol car. In fact the cost of parts and service is very very competitive with the Indicas.
This is the tag line of Manoj from TVM, Kerala in the Yahoo Indica user group.

(V2 DLX, Feb. 2003, 75500kms, 17.59kmpl, Maint.exp 47ps/km, 63km/day)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indica...KL-16-3095.xls

In my own case, I had an Indica V2 DLE between Feb 2001 to Dec 2004 (one of the first V2 models sold in Ernakulam. It did 65000 kms in that period with an overall mileage of 15 kpl with 100% AC and the total maintenance costs were Rs. 45124.79.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 11912 kms, 14.48 kpl, KL 04 T7722, 51km/day)
(Innova V Diesel, Jun 05, 12834 kms, 12.40 kpl, KL 04 S6336, 36km/day)
Old 21st June 2006, 01:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
Your calculation tipped the scale towards baleno because of the 2.5lacs price difference between the baleno and the accent. But what if the baleno was never an option and you were considering the city or optra? Then the price you pay for the car is the almost the same (give or take a few thousands).
The the insurance and EMI are all the same and the savings are immediate with every liter for diesel you use up!!
So my question is should I consider a diesel vehicle in the same price segment irrespective of the mileage I clock?
It really depends then...what is the premium you want to put on '

1. Ride/ Space : Optra has the most
2. Mileage / Resale / Avant Garde Looks : NHC has the most
3. Diesal economy.. : Accent has the most but neither has the space/resale like the city nor does it ride / have snob value like the optra....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed