Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 17:26   #1

Fiesta Petrol or Diesel

Hi all. Major confusion for the last two weeks... Should I buy a top end Fiesta 1.6 S, which is a petrol car, or the 1.4 diesel Zxi? Price is almost the same, but the confusion comes from the fact that I drive just about 750 Kms a month. I liked the drive of both the cars, and that adds to the doubt... Can somebody help me make a choice? Cheers. Sachu
Old 30th September 2008, 18:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

For 750 kms a month, petrol may make sense. Both cars have good low end torque for city driving, but the 1.6 petrol is a scorcher on the highways. The diesel looses grunt after 100 kmph.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:08   #3
BHPian

The diesel is probably the most fuel efficient car in this segment. It is also a pleasure to drive in the city, the only hitch I have felt is that the clutch is a bit hard. On the highways, it was not meant to be a performance car.
The 1.6 S is for the driving enthusiast. If you enjoy driving, buy this car.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:09   #4
BHPian

Petrol makes more sense here as your running is lesser. Go fida .
Old 30th September 2008, 18:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'd say go diesel. This is from someone with a petrol who loves driving and does an average of the same distance, but of course, a lot of it is highway miles.
With better roads etc, if you see yourself long distancing, then petrol costs will bite. And thats a heck of a fuel efficient diesel from what I hear. It peppy enough for most needs (over a short TD, the torque was a very pleasant break for the driver of a high revving OHC), and you'll smile at the pump - even if diesel becomes equally expensive.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for 1.6S. It comes with the fully loaded including ABS+Airbags etc. for 750 kms it sure should be petrol.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

If you plan to sell the car in the short term and want good resale, then diesel. Else petrol
Old 30th September 2008, 20:50   #8
BHPian

Go for the Petrol if you are looking for ABS, Airbags (which IMO are important). But be ready to spent way more for fuel (taking into consideration the mileage and cost of petrol).

Your initial cost of ownership (acquiring the car) will be same in this case and i'd advice you to go for diesel. It is not as fun to drive as the petrol, but it does save you a lot of money on a monthly basis.

If you want to travel 750kms (in city), a petrol Fiesta will give you close to 11kmpl, while a diesel Fiesta will give you close to 13kmpl. Cost-wise, petrol (Rs55/litre) will be Rs 3750/- and diesel (Rs39/litre) will be Rs 2250/-

PS: I've a diesel Fiesta which has done over 12k kilometers and with 100% AC in city I get close to 15kmpl. But being on the conservative side and using 13kmpl for calculation. Friend of mine has got a petrol Fiesta and he gets 11-12kmpl with AC on 75%.

Hope i've not confused you more. Driving-wise petrol makes sense. Money-wise diesel does.
Old 1st October 2008, 09:11   #9

Hi all, thanks much for the suggestions. I can see that the forum is almost equaly divided on petrol or diesel fiestas, but I think I am veering towards the diesel one. Will make the decision tomorrow after a visit to the dealer. Will keep the forum updated. Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Fiesta is in for some change again. Metro ford sales person that I talked to yesterday said he is not sure what is changing, but said he will let me know in a week what is to be expected. I did ask him if its the 1.6 diesel, he said he can tell me next week what exactly is changing. I will update once I get more details.

Diesel zxi is ~30 K cheaper. Add to that the fuel cost difference you are looking at a difference of 2000K per month. If you are looking at Fiesta S then you can as well check if you can go for the diesel SXi. You get the full spec car that would cost only a bit more to own compared to the S.anyway you will still end up saving some money as you will end up driving the diesel more often.You get airbags, abs and EBD with leather seats and turn lights on the orvm. It really looks good.If you drive mostly in city traffic diesel should be fine. and even on highways only after 120 kmph will there be any noticable dip in acceleration, till then you can work the gear box to get there.

The most you can upgrade in the diesel SXI is the tyres but the stock ones are fair.
Old 2nd October 2008, 17:35   #11
alphamike

Hi,

I agree with Unni. if you want to acquire a car than is really great to drive then you should go in for the petrol and value for money acquisition is the diesel.

If you want both value for money and a great car to drive also then you should also consider the verna.

cheers

Old 2nd October 2008, 19:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think petrol is more apt for your usage. I would have recommended you the 1.4 TDCI too but Ikon will be getting the same engine in Nov so i doubt that Fiesta will have the same engine for sometime. If its between Fiesta S & SXI i would recommend you the S anyday.

P.S. : why not SX4 or New City in your list??
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:32   #13
BHPian

Huh dont confuse more him by adding the SX4 which is not at all a driver's car. It is a chauffer driven car and actually we have had so many bad comments about this car. And about the New Honda city that has been launched now, is almost 2lacs more than the Fiesta S that is being discussed. They are way off different segment now and moreover 2lacs is a huge money dude.

Anup
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:03   #14
BHPian

Handling of Fiesta S is really good.I dont know whether ANHC having the same handling or not.Generally Honda cars are light weight.
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:42   #15

Confusion Over. Its Fiesta S

Hello all, thanks to everyone who gave their views.

The confusion is now over: It's a Fiesta S. I am going for the panther black.
What tilted the balance in favor of the S version was, surprise, surprise, my wife who otherwise can't differentiate between a hatch and sedan, falling for it! She loved the black interiors, the spoiler and the overall looks! `No car without the spoiler' was her declaration. Had to give in, guys, after all those painstakingly done calculations on diesel's economies. ``We won't be driving much anyways'' is madam's view on that. Well, since she's my fellow traveler in the journey of life, I obliged. And after one more round of test drive, no regrets. I think it's a fantastic machine.

As for why I didn't consider SX4 and new Honda city, I didn't like the SX4's drive and handling. Another factor was the rear seat of the car, which was designed for just two. Mine is a big family and most often, there will be three people (my parents and my kid) at the rear seat. When it comes to the City, the base version is at least a lakh rupees more than the Fiesta S. So that was ruled out. I did like the Verna, but found the interiors to be not really plush like the Fiesta.

Hmm, this is getting a bit longer. Will now write my post-buying experience with the Ford and the drive after the car comes. The dealer says it may take about 10-12 days.

Thanks again to all of you. Safe driving, cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks