Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2005, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Accent CRDi

Hi.. Planning to get a new car. Either a used Skoda 1.9 TDi or a new accent crdi partly cause the price of used and new car is almost the same. i.e. new accent crdi and used skoda.. my mind is inclined towards accent as cost of ownership for Skoda is high as the spares are really expensive. Anyone who has a Accent CRDi? Please let me know what are pro's cons and what average you get out of that car.

Would love to hear from actual owners.

Thanks

Z
Old 29th March 2005, 13:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

over to you mr. drifter !

the cons of the accent is the back seat thats cramped...else its a fantastic car to own and to top it Hyundai's A.S.S

but then you get Skoda diesel into the picture ...now thats a brilliant car too....but then for the price u get a new CRDI while the Skoda will be an used one. so i would say - A new car is always better than an used one .

so my choice would be the Accent CRDI. for a detailed report on the car..drifter is the rite guy..he owns a CRDI and will be able to give u an accurate feedback.

cheers
Old 29th March 2005, 14:29   #3
BHPian

We have kphilip and artofzen too who own the accent CRDi..

We had come for the B'lore drag in Kphilip's ar.. It was an amazing trip.. Really dont see much of a cramp in the back seat.. Atleast its not as bad as it sounds to be.. We were two 6 footers in the back seat and it wasnt all that cramped up..
CRDi engine rocks... Really powerful too..

And like NC said a new car always prefered to a second hand one..
Old 29th March 2005, 14:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
A new car is always better than an used one .
i second that dude

Quote:
cost of ownership for Skoda is high as the spares are really expensive.
yeah.. thats a major minus

I dunno now, but earlier there have been cases on people havin to pay extra ( grey) for the spares
Old 29th March 2005, 14:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

yeah dude new car is better than a second hand one.if you feel skoda spare parts are a bit expensive then it would be better if you just go for a new accent because hyundai service is pretty good and spares arent that expensive either.its got a powerful engine.i think i would go in for the accnet crdi
Old 29th March 2005, 16:46   #6
BHPian

True even I'm very much inclined towards the Accent. I've drive the Skoda TDi and its fabulous. I've still not driven the Accent and would like to drive it soon obviously before I buy it but since it has a motor made by Detroit Diesel being a 3 cylinder, it is quicker than the 1.6 also.. The engine is relatively less noisy than other diesels not as quiet as Skoda but its good as I've heard the car Idling. But once on the move its pretty good.
Would love to hear from people who have the car.
thanks guys

Z
Old 29th March 2005, 16:47   #7
BHPian

Forgot to mention.. Any idea on the Fuel Efficiency?
Old 29th March 2005, 17:46   #8
BHPian

kphilip's car gives him 17-18kpl with AC..
He had once got about 21 when he did the trip in economic speed with his parents...
Old 30th March 2005, 15:26   #9
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Z Klasse,

Accent CRDi is a good choice if its a self driven vehicle. Any other seat in the CRDi other than the drivers seat is hopeless. In the rear, you sit with your knees pointing skywards. Not the most comfortable sitting position...Sitting in the back seat gives me bloody backache in that car. Also depends on how tall are you. As for me, I'm 5'10"....so its pretty much hopeless.

About driving, it never feels like a diesel if you cancel out the noise. Much much responsive for a diesel. The only bad thing is the noise & believe me its NOISY. When I test drove the car it sounded like a TATA 307 to me. If you can manage with the noise, then its the only car to have in that price bracket. Tyres on the car are the ridiculous S322's which are no good. Brakes are supposed to be better on the CRDi than the petrol but grabby & tend to lock up pretty fast at the slightest hint of extra pressure on the pedal. Handling is pretty much like a boat to be sounding decent. So, upsize on the rims & tyres is definitely recommended.

The good part of the car is the ample amount of power & torque. It pulls & pulls & I trust drifter to answer this better since he does that regularly to his CRDi...LOL.

As for the ubiqutous question of mileage, it will definitely give you 12-13 kmpl with AC in City driving. Not too bad according to me. I don't need to talk about the service support of Hyundai.

If you can manage to find a good,low run, nicely maintained Octavia then go for it. Don't bother about the CRDi. The octy is in a league of its own & I'm sure you'll agree with me.

PS : If you haven't figured out already, I also have a CRDi
Old 30th March 2005, 16:59   #10
BHPian

thanks rj.. That pretty much sums up what I was looking for.. Well I will change the tyres and i hate the S322's. I think those tyres are so bad that even the local 'haathgadi's with their negligible rubber would reject them. I've experienced them on my zen before and on a friends vtec and they truly are ridiculous. I will not upsize them as this car is going to be a city runner most of the times and once in a while outta town and main reason for this car is the practicality being a diesel and reliability since its a Detroil Diesel.. I currently am replacing my Opel Corsa which is used by my mom mostly to a newer car. Tyres I guess i'll put 185's or 195's max and probably no rims just now but maybe later as I said I dont want to spend much after the car. I would love and Octavia but the problem is that the cost of ownership. Each service is nothing less than 10k after the warranty period as experienced with friends who have a TDi. I've driven the Octavia and truly it is in a league of its own. But I think for the same price you are getting a newer car with decent amount of power, probably quicker than the Octavia might as welll go for CRDi. I am 5'11" and I rarely sit in the rear seat. Infact I dont remember sitting in the rear seat of my Corsa for the full 3 years i've had it for... Even in my other car I've never sat in the back seat.. so its not an issue. My mom is 5'2" so then that should not be a problem for the back seat... Opel Corsa is a good stable car but sloppy and heavy and gives such horrible average figures you almost want to ignore the tripmeter. Plus its very boring.. I think an Rickshaw is more fun..

I am still going to consider Octavia but my mind is more towards the Accent. I will surely have to test drive it before taking a decision but just wanted to see what actual users of the car have to say about it. what wheels are you using? 14's?
Let me know ya.. and thanks alot for a good review!

z
Old 30th March 2005, 18:30   #11
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks alot for a good review!
Glad to be of help mate.

Quote:
what wheels are you using? 14's?
LOL..while I advised you to change the wheels, I myself have stock 13"s with bridgestones The car is used for exactly same purpose...city driving. My driver drives my father around town in that car, so I didn't bother to upsize the wheels. I hardly ever drive it..maybe once or twice a week.

Btw, which is your other car ? & hey I didn't know that almost all services after the free ones cost around 10k for the Octy! Rtech, are you listening!
Old 30th March 2005, 18:51   #12
BHPian

This car also will be driven by me on a daily basis for barely 2 kms as my office is very close to my house. Otherwise driver and mom sitting at the rear seat. My other car is a 1.6 zen. Thats my baby.. I drive that most of the times. But I also want a car which is more economical compared to my corsa. I'm so bored of the Opel. Very unexciting. Btw did you know that CRDi is made to order. No ready stock. It takes about 25 days atleast before delivery.
Also prices going up in April means you have to pay additional costs even though the car maybe booked before price rise as it will be made during that period.

Lets see when I get to drive the car.. Btw.. how old is your car? What constant average u get ?

Z
Old 30th March 2005, 18:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, which is your other car ? & hey I didn't know that almost all services after the free ones cost around 10k for the Octy! Rtech, are you listening!
The Octy has free service? Coz i remeber Rtech posting about this some time back.

Shan2nu
Old 30th March 2005, 18:57   #14
BHPian

Free service as in labour is free. Consumables and other parts are charged for. For anycars.. First 3 services are always free of cost.
Old 30th March 2005, 19:17   #15
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure about made to order but they screw up the delieveries for sure. I was told a waiting period of 45days. I booked it on 30th June '04 & got it on 7th Sept '04. So, its much more than 25days
My car I think gives consistently 11-12kmpl. Btw, how much is it costing after the price hike? And I'm sure the dealers would not give a penny in discount now. Mine costed 7.5L (vashi) with 15k cash disc & a few things free.

Most Viewed