Team-BHP - honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/47869-honda-city-v-tec-plus-june-2008-launch-new-honda-city-oct-2008-launch.html)

Hi friends,

Need some help in deciding between the new honda city which got launched recently (Oct 2008) or the Honda city v-tec plus (Honda 10th anniversary car, launched in mid-2008).

When I went today to check out the new car in the showroom (whitefield honda, bangalore), I liked the new looks but there are a few things which are missing in the new honda city (which v-tec plus has). They are:

1. Leather seats.
2. Alloy wheels.
3. fog lamps (no provision to add these in the new city).
4. wooden panel finish in dash board.
5. I liked the music system better in v-tec plus.

The engine of both are the same, though the new one has 18 bhp more.
In the new car, the features which I liked was:
1. Center armrest console unit (would help me to rest my elbow on long drives).
2. More power.
3. Steering mounted audio controls.
4. Newer looks.

Point to note is that honda dealers are offering good cash discount on the honda city v-tec plus now.

So my questions are now:
1. Will the extra horses in the new city bring down the mileage of the new city?
2. Also, if I sell off the car after 2-2.5 years, will the new city fetch more resale value than the honda city v-tec plus?
3. Finally, which one makes a buy?

Thanks,
nandi.

1. This is a new engine and speculated to more fuel efficient than the old vtec inspite of delivering more power, there is an article about it at paultan.org. But untill real world tests happen difficult to tell conclusively.

2. Yup

3. I would say go for the ANHC with thinking. Really doesn't make sense to buy an older model now. The ANHC has a new, more refined and powerful engine and an all new design. You do sacrifice a bit on interiors and alloys but the benefits outweigh these features that are mostly superficial, and can be added on albeit at extra cost.

PS: There is an option kit for fog lamps and alloys on the ANHC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnandi (Post 1025348)
1. Will the extra horses in the new city bring down the mileage of the new city?

It should bring down – there is no official stance from Honda so far which a bit worry is too

Quote:

2. Also, if I sell off the car after 2-2.5 years, will the new city fetch more resale value than the honda city v-tec plus?

Yes it will – but the gap may not be as much as the discount you get today on the old model

Quote:

3. Finally, which one makes a buy?

Old model makes a buy – but my thinking would be why go for it unless you cannot afford or wait for the new model

BTW, why are your options limited only to Honda only? Check out other VFM deals too!

I would go for the ANHC. Yes, you don't get Fogs, Alloys, Leather & Rear Disc Brakes but you do get a car that is NEW and more powerful.

If you were to add on the fogs & alloys (and maybe the leather), wouldn't it still be cheaper than the Vtec Plus?

Actually the vtec-plus is 8.93L (ex-showroom Bangalore), they are offering a discount of 60K which makes it 8.33L. They ANHC is 8.38L (again ex-showroom Bangalore). If I put leather seats (30k) + alloys (30k) in the ANHC, it would come to around ~9L.

ANHC seems a better option.Apart from interiors and VFM option i think it ticks most of the right boxes. A newer car would fetch you a better resale if you sell(as per your post) after 2 years.

Buy the New model. In 2 years you will be able to sell off a Model which is still in production easier than the NHC model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnandi (Post 1025464)
Actually the vtec-plus is 8.93L (ex-showroom Bangalore), they are offering a discount of 60K which makes it 8.33L. They ANHC is 8.38L (again ex-showroom Bangalore). If I put leather seats (30k) + alloys (30k) in the ANHC, it would come to around ~9L.

60K is not a great discount in this scenario. Come December, they will be even more desperate to sell old stock.

I was thinking you will end up in a price differenceof 1L+ which is not there. So do not even consider old model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnandi (Post 1025464)

I think if you can negotaite further on old NHC then it is good otherwise go for ANHC.
I got good deal when Getz prime was launched. Hyundai gave me cash discount of 50K on 4.5L car.

60 K is not much. Like Path_Finder has mentioned if you are getting 1 L plus then it makes sense. Besides you can get leather seats in the range 20 k and good alloys
in the range 15 - 20. That adds up to only 40k max and not like 60 k that you have
mentioned. You also have the option to choose the design/color for your alloys and leather seats.

In the scenario that you have mentioned, unless you can get more discount for vtec-plus you need not go for it.

The new car anyday!
I dont think you should be even considering the old car since the new car is so totally ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evo (Post 1025965)
The new car anyday!
I dont think you should be even considering the old car since the new car is so totally ahead.

When you say "new car is so totally ahead", I am a little puzzled. I thought the engine technology was the same i-vtec (i-DSI) one in the new car, with extra bhp only. Can you please elaborate here?

Its a no-brainer question!
Ofcourse go for the new honda city. 18 horses makes a lot of difference in driving pleasure.
Your resale would definitely be higher in the ANHC.
And seriously, you can't not choose a car if it doesn't have leather seats, alloys, fogs, or music system. They all can be added on at a later time also if you don't want to spend money immediately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnandi (Post 1026535)
When you say "new car is so totally ahead", I am a little puzzled. I thought the engine technology was the same i-vtec (i-DSI) one in the new car, with extra bhp only. Can you please elaborate here?

I havent driven the new city as yet, but the older city even with the VTEC is very appliance like to drive. Whatever I`ve read about the new vtec, its much more spirited to drive, not to mention the extra power.

In terms of looks, the new one finally looks like a car!

Handling and steering are far more sorted with greater steering feel.

I think the new city is very very close to the civic. Not something that you can say for the old city can you!

Well thats just my two bits.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnandi (Post 1026535)

hi,
the i-dsi engine and the i-vtec engines are different.. the engine block is the same L15A if i am not mistaken.