Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:42   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsm View Post
I like the exteriors of the NHC but not at all impressed with their interiors.
You mean the recently launched ANHC right ?

My wife likes the NHC in comparison to the optra and is quite adamant I go for one.. Same question as above

Chevy owners have already started warning me of the resale value. Checked one of the websites; for the same mileage and year of ownership almost priced the 2 at the same level (astonishing since both are quite apart in terms of OTR price). This is the point of confusion. Which website can give you the resale value of the car that is yet to hit the road ? I would take their claims with a bucket of salt.

But as a thumb rule, Hondas are far superior than Chevys in the resale value.

Some queries in bold.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
And personally i have no service holiday for me going on (sadly) and i am yet to receive a hefty service bill (my indigo's service bills are more... hehe)
the torque is undoubtedly addictive but it still depends on usage i say.
Touchwood Gaurav i had a hefty bill of around 20k in recent 60k service in my petrol optra whereas a accord in family had 12k at 60k one

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Not always the case... go through some threads at tbhp itself and you'll know some cheerful experiences. Its always the mix of good and bad.
Still the honda cases will be far less then competition.

My only point was if a person has less usage he should vouch for petrol one else one can go the diesel way.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Rahul both are good cars with their Pros and Cons. What matters is which one you and your family likes. Mutually decide and then go for it. Better to buy the one which you like personally rather than what people like. Good luck!
Very true... its all depends on your priorities. I wanted more power and Cruise ability on highways, so I opted Magnum. First decide on what you will use it for and make a choice. Just close your ears and buy what would make you and your family happy.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:58   #49
BHPian

@ ASH Even i stand by the same. If your running is high then a diesel makes complete sense and will save you a lot in the long run. Else petrol should do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Very true... its all depends on your priorities. I wanted more power and Cruise ability on highways, so I opted Magnum. First decide on what you will use it for and make a choice. Just close your ears and buy what would make you and your family happy.
No doubt magnum comes out be a great cruiser.

Setting up priorities while buying a car is a must coz ever other product has its pros & cons. AND yes please do take family opinion as well. And then choose upon them. SIMPLE.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:45   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
The dealers today are fleecing Honda fans by taking 50K or 1L deposit with cancellation charges even before making it available for TD.
Do you remember Yamaha India dealers opening bookings for R15 on pure catalogues, pictures and speculated figures?
And, its not like the guys at Honda pull out a knife at every visitor to shell out the booking amount. Honda has created a certain image of excellence for themselves for which the people seemed to have put down the money.
There is no doubt that Honda has played really smart here. Having secured booking amounts, Honda will have more concrete data to carry on with their production process, and in this time of recession, there is nothing better than cash inflows to assist the working capital.

Did you know Tata has a huge inventory resulting in lack of space at their storage capacities, shortage of working capital, vendors without future job work assigned to them. These are all shortcomings of inefficient production planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
You also agree that the Magnum is likely to be better on the highway than City – I just wanted to highlight that point in relation to ones aspirations and not for any debate.
Yes, but i would surely not choose 'marginally' better handling and stability over better resale, lot better A.S.S. and Honda ownership attributes.

manson.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:25   #51
BHPian

why do you guys think of resale even before buying a car. Obviously if you buy this car for personal purpose you will take care of it, maintain, etc. so you will look atleast 3 to 5 yrs before your next car. So first point, if your heart likes the car, buy it. reminds me of a person on the forum who bought a Sanstorm. (he liked it he bought it). considering resale just think of Enfield Bullets so less resale, so much maintainence, so much visit to the A$$ still people buy it - cause they love it.

In your case before buying just do a brief check with fellow Optra Magnum owners to know the kind of engine, suspension issues that crop up and HOW MANY DAYS THE CAR SITS in the A$$. Then even 3 yrs free maintainence does not matter.

do the same with the ANHC an initial report / findings

make your decision.

I would rather buy a car which is 99% Reliable, good handling, good stopping power, basic safety, and does not have to visit the A$$ every now and then.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 4th November 2008 at 12:29.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
why do you guys think of resale even before buying a car. Obviously if you buy this car for personal purpose you will take care of it, maintain, etc. so you will look atleast 3 to 5 yrs before your next car.
I have mentioned about the bad resale. Not discouraging anyone in anyway. Just an observation.
Old 26th January 2009, 16:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
I said, going in for a Optra now does'nt seem to be a good idea as new Gen. is due in 6 months time. Wheras new gen. City is already out.
Is the upcoming Chevy Cruz a replacement for the Optra? OR will it find itself priced on par with the Accord/Camry/Superb?

Been doing some casual research on Optra - hence a bit curious...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 26th January 2009 at 16:12.

Most Viewed