Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 19:56   #1
BHPian

Is it possible to ask for ABS and Airbags in Aveo 1.4LS?

I hear that 1.4 engine is more fuel efficient and the 1.4LS is really a VFM, but it lacks the ABS and Airbags, is it possible to ask the dealer to customize a 1.4LS (new) and fit in ABS and Airbags? If possible, how much cost difference one can expect? I do not like the 1.6 engine really, not much improvement of power and less fuel economy.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:20   #2
BHPian

I don't think it's optional to add ABS and Airbags in any car except company fitted ones. But you can clarify your issue easily by calling the Chevy dealer in your area.
VikCho
Old 11th November 2008, 20:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikCho View Post
I don't think it's optional to add ABS and Airbags in any car except company fitted ones. But you can clarify your issue easily by calling the Chevy dealer in your area.
VikCho
well.. I actually want them to be fitted by Chevy or GM only, unless they ask for a fortune, but may be I should check with GM, but has anyone ever tried to do this? One of the GM sales guys once told me that you can retrofit them in 1.4 LS, and was stressing on the fact that one should buy LS and not 1.6LT, which surprised me as 1.6 LT does not sell anyway, or they earn more margin on LS? May be the guy was just being honest
Old 12th November 2008, 05:00   #4
BHPian

The dealer in all probability will not have the competence to do such a complex task. All the brake lines will have to be changed along with installation of sensors. Fair bit of electronics is involved. Ask GM if such an option is available from the factory. It is a safety feature and don't forget even if a dealer installs it for you from a donor vehicle he will not be able to do the stringent tests they do at the factory. In the end it might be less reliable which defeats the purpose of safety which you want by going for ABS.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:31   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
One of the GM sales guys once told me that you can retrofit them in 1.4 LS
Do NOT retrofit ABS or Airbags in any car. They are highly complex systems and are best fitted ONLY on the production line. Look up a previous discussion on this.

Its surprising that GM doesn't offer these on the 1.4. Why don't you write to them and see what their customer service has to say.
Old 12th November 2008, 17:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do NOT retrofit ABS or Airbags in any car. They are highly complex systems and are best fitted ONLY on the production line. Look up a previous discussion on this.

Its surprising that GM doesn't offer these on the 1.4. Why don't you write to them and see what their customer service has to say.
let me write to them and shall update you with the response.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:39   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, they are also selling the UVA (1.2 liter engine) with airbags + ABS. I don't see any reason why the Aveo 1.4 shouldn't have this crucial safety equipment.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:20   #8
BHPian

Though spark is spluttering through weith its sales numbers and UV-A is itself interesting with the new saftey add ons and a newer better looking UV-A in its way early next year, the cruze on its way and Captiva captivating its segment Chevy seems to be ok in india,
how prudent is it to go for a GM car at this point in time, with bankruptcy imminent for GM, Obama asking BushZzz.. to help big three and top people in GM (USA) talking about bankruptcy bringing in more problems than it solves.

Just makes me wonder if Chevrolet vehicle owners end up in the same state as Daewoo car owners, not that opel owners are any better off but its not a great scenario to be in for a new car owner to be in.
Old 18th November 2008, 20:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do NOT retrofit ABS or Airbags in any car. They are highly complex systems and are best fitted ONLY on the production line. .
i completely agree. safety systems are highly complex systems. only factory fitted systems can be relied upon. retro fitting is dangerous and will not work in the way it was intended to.
it reminds me of those home lpg cylinders fitted in cars days......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks