Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 15:40   #1
tez
BHPian

Will the GM problem affect Aveo spares in India

hi,
my friend is planning to buy Aveo 1.4 Base model. But due to the recent developments in US regarding GM's bankruptcy, he is confused whether he should go for Aveo/GM car or not? Kindly advise.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
hi,
my friend is planning to buy Aveo 1.4 Base model. But due to the recent developments in US regarding GM's bankruptcy, he is confused whether he should go for Aveo/GM car or not? Kindly advise.
My suggestion is to hold on until the sky is clear. There are so many bad news/rumors about GM, I think it would be better to wait. investing 7-8Lacs is not a joke. So, Please ask him to wait for a while if he can. Else take a safe bet.

btw. I do own a Aveo.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:15   #3
BHPian

I would suggest that he should weigh all the available options with regards to hassle free ownership (considering the current situation of GM in the US), and what are the other options available at present. He should not buy any American car at this point unless there is a very strong compelling reason for the same. The biggest debate in the US is that what next after the money they asking for as there is no clear road map or plan on how they can come out of this slump and get back to making money.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:44   #4
BHPian

Now is not the right time to buy GM ford vehicles.
They may be pulled out of the woods for a short while but will still be painful for the next three years if any of them are around till then.

Better look up Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Suzuki, Skoda below or around 7-10 L bracket.
Old 20th November 2008, 19:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
My suggestion is to hold on until the sky is clear. There are so many bad news/rumors about GM, I think it would be better to wait. investing 7-8Lacs is not a joke. So, Please ask him to wait for a while if he can. Else take a safe bet.

btw. I do own a Aveo.
I know Sir, and I have been keenly reading your posts on your car's performance and ownership reports, do keep us updated, thanks.
Old 20th November 2008, 21:17   #6
BHPian

I think these concerns are unwarranted. Bankruptcy does not mean shutting down operations immediately or even in immediate future.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:42   #7
BHPian

GM is doing fairly well in most regions outside the US, so I don't think that even if there is any adverse impact on the US operations, the operations outside the US might not get affected in any significant way. Plus you can bargain for good discounts and if you really like the car as an overall package, go for it!
Old 21st November 2008, 18:30   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I personally don't think there is any risk in buying a GM India car. GM seems to be committed to the Indian market and, as others stated, is doing well in a lot of other countries. However, seeing the nightmares that Peugeot & Daewoo owners went through, there is a risk to the situation....however minute. Nothing is predictable in the business world today. Maybe he should wait until the picture is a lot clearer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks