Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:42   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I agree completely with you on the rest however just wanna add that reputation only changes with time and as Fiat is making so much effort with Linea am sure they will do something with the A.S.S as well in the near future.
exactly and that future is not here yet so no point in becoming a test subject is there hehe
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
I don't believe that Linea's maintenance cost can be costlier than even a Santro in maintenance. Parts will be manufactured in India, so price will be cheap. But availability can be an issue unless they sell in good numbers (I learnt this hard lesson from my Bajaj Saffire).
I find this unbelievable. Actually, this would not even come in my dreams. Its maintenance COULD be less, but lesser than a Santro, which is already sold in Lakhs? I dont agree.

Quote:
Even if things turn out to be worse than I expected on the maintenance cost, A.S.S., parts availability, I would still buy Linea for its superb ride and handling and high speed stability and build and material quality.
Thats the point. But we are yet to test drive it so cant count on superb ride, etc unless we have our hands on it. I am sure, by the history, Fiat cars will be tank like built and a will have superb ride, but let us atleast test drive it once to confirm.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I find this unbelievable. Actually, this would not even come in my dreams. Its maintenance COULD be less, but lesser than a Santro, which is already sold in Lakhs? I dont agree.
Santro's maintenance from the circles I know is more than even an Optra Magnum diesel. Fiat Linea's engine uses less density oil and service period of 15000 Km will definitely make it cheaper to maintain than a Santro. I'm 100% sure of that.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:52   #49
BHPian

all kinds of jokes are doing the rounds here santro maintanence, optra magnum maintanance. what not.
LET THE CAR RELEASE!! then we will see about the spares.

peace
Old 4th December 2008, 17:14   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Hi! I'm looking for a car in 7-8 lacs. I've shortlisted the new Honda City 1.8S MT, Ford Fiesta 1.6S, Maruti SX4 Zxi. But now after hearing about the launch of Fiat Linea in dec, my decision has become even more difficult. Should i wait for the Linea? will it be better than the City?
Under corporate plans, I've been offered the new City 1.8S MT for Rs.7,90,000(ex-Mum) and also Rs.80,000 discount on Fiesta & SX4.
How much will the Linea cost?
u said 80k on sx4 are u sure about this or u mentioned it for the fiesta. please clarify which showroom i went to vitesse, andheri no discounts for sx4
Old 4th December 2008, 18:09   #51
BHPian

When I said maintenance, I basically meant the cost of the items that need regular replacement plus the cost of extra items that the service center guys apparently keep suggesting of a change every six months or a year. Add to that Santro's clutch pad wearing out very often in city traffic. My friends who own santro spends about 6K every year without any problems in the car. I'm not talking just for the heck of it. I doubt if Linea's maintenance cost per year would be that much, even for a diesel!! I'm ready to bet (based on what I have read about Linea from various sources).
Old 4th December 2008, 18:48   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdrifter08 View Post
....but the main problem is Service, my firends palio is in service station he is still waiting for a spare part it will atleast take him 4 days!!!!!! So availability of spare part will be a great problem for prospective buyers.
Not every car is a Maruti. There are so many parts that might not be available for so many brands of cars. 4 days is hardly a wait and it completely depends on what the spare is. You can't bash up a brand for keeping the car for 4 days for an awaited spare. We stress too much on spare parts and A.S.S but how many times will you need it in the first 5 years of your cars life. Get over this I suggest and start looking at cars the way they are meant to be looked at.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I said maintenance, I basically meant the cost of the items that need regular replacement plus the cost of extra items that the service center guys apparently keep suggesting of a change every six months or a year. Add to that Santro's clutch pad wearing out very often in city traffic. My friends who own santro spends about 6K every year without any problems in the car. I'm not talking just for the heck of it. I doubt if Linea's maintenance cost per year would be that much, even for a diesel!! I'm ready to bet (based on what I have read about Linea from various sources).
You may be right in your assessment of Santros around you. I am not denying. I have myself used Santro for 4 years. The clutch plate has never worned out. The only thing I changed was the fan motor and the fan apart from the regular servicing. Plus the silencer when I initially bought the car (second hand). It dint cost me much. I still own the Santro. Hence, I find it difficult for Leana to match a Santro's maintenance.
Old 4th December 2008, 19:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
You may be right in your assessment of Santros around you. I am not denying. I have myself used Santro for 4 years.
Sorry if this is going off topic. May I ask the yearly maintenance cost (assuming not much running, just the regular half yearly schedule) for your santro? My friends were working really hard (I mean, enquire with different people and santro owners) to cut down the cost. Sorry if I sounded a little blunt, but I swear, my intention is just to know how much it costs to maintain and thus help my friends (some close to me).
Old 4th December 2008, 19:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if this is going off topic. May I ask the yearly maintenance cost (assuming not much running, just the regular half yearly schedule) for your santro? My friends were working really hard (I mean, enquire with different people and santro owners) to cut down the cost. Sorry if I sounded a little blunt, but I swear, my intention is just to know how much it costs to maintain and thus help my friends (some close to me).
let me give you a complete breakdown, if that helps you. My running initially was 6k kms per year, which increased to 10K. In all, I have driven 38K kms in the last 3.5 years of my Santro ownership.

I changed the silencer & shock-abs when I bought is initially. Also got myself a few accesories. Total came to 10K.

Got a new battery within first 6 months @ Rs 2700 approx - Amaron.

I used to get it serviced only once a year, total servicing cost ranged between Rs. 2100 - Rs. 2500 with oil change.

Somewhere in 2007 end, I changed the fuel pump while I was on my way to Kolhapur. Changed it there @ Rs. 2800.00.

In 2008, I changed the Fan Motor and the fan @ Hyundai A.S.S for Rs 5K.
Thats the last that I spent on it.

Now make your calculations and compare. I would like to clarify that mine is the 1.0 L santro Model 1999, and not the facelifted version which is 1.1L.
Old 4th December 2008, 21:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
u said 80k on sx4 are u sure about this or u mentioned it for the fiesta. please clarify which showroom i went to vitesse, andheri no discounts for sx4
dude,it's a corporate plan.It's not for everyone
Old 5th December 2008, 07:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to clarify that mine is the 1.0 L santro Model 1999, and not the facelifted version which is 1.1L.
One last off topic from me. My friends are following the service schedule of the manual book, i.e. every six months or every 5000 Km whichever is earlier. He has tried at least in three service stations in Bangalore. Anyways, I'm not going to talk about it here anymore. Sorry guys.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:14   #58
BHPian

close your eyes and go for the CITY its really simple.

city reliability something that the fiat wont be able to do.

if you want a car build like a TANK - SOLID then go for the linea( this is just a perception!) its only true in case of the W124 , W123( real solid!! ) benz cars i havent bothered to take uop the W2 series body shell specs( we guys do have acces to these specs! cant let out more!) but as far as i know they are not as well built as the W123! and yours truly Skoda ( they are better build the grade of the sheet used for the body shell itself is higher! ) so stop taking a chance and go for the City. which ever model you choose - you wont regret it later even in case of resale value.

cheers
Old 5th December 2008, 09:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
close your eyes and go for the CITY its really simple.
Yes, if you buy with closed eyes, thats what you end up with - a Maruti or Honda!
Old 5th December 2008, 10:10   #60
BHPian

yes thats well said.

and its true

these two brands have a lot going for it maruti is cheap to maintain and Honda is super reliable and Brand value

hyundai is more or less like Maruthi but yes better quality Honda like and reliabilty also more or less honda!. but not that much Brand Value. but with the I series cars coming in they are in for some tough competetion alright!!

Skoda is super built and much higher brand value.

where does Fiat fit in.

they dont have their own service centers for christs sake. they are in tie up with TATA. there itself peoples attitude will change!!

Logan - read renault is down in the dumps with an all low 80% sales dip!

Lancer and mitsubishi in general is almost runied by HM guys.

see the hatch segment read the Swift and Fabia and JAZZ segment fall apart once the I20 is coming in.

they left the getz CRDI Engine to purposefully lower the price. and beat the swift where it hurts.

Honda is in for a tough time when they launch the JAZZ

those who went for training on the I20 told me that the interiors is much better than the ANHC!! and more spacious also inside.

if Linea is going to sell it will be for the interiors. its got a luxury feel. dont expect the build to be as solid the palio. they have loosed that process to get more mileage.

but yes the Highlight is the steering its not ultra light like the ANHC where it will be scary to drive ater 120kmph!

the best i have heard is 19kmpl from the highways. this is no feat considering that a 1.5l CRDI ( you know who also gives the same mileage in Highways)
so lets wait and see.

we are still to see a fiesta beater in this segment. and do not expect the Fiat spares to be cheap. the interior components. engine components should be cheap as they have it running for years now in ints non-VGT avathar. still i doubt the intake and cooling and in general the suspension components will all be costly since its a real tough task to hold this D-segment dimensions vehicle in perfect stance.

once the vehicle comes out. there do wil be issues and thats why its better to hold your horses till initial issues are sorted out!

cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed